I need some help with four of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
Am 16.05.2013 10:02, schrieb Rob H.:

#2874 is a pneumatic chisel, we used them in a bodyshop years ago. In the "spring" at the front of the tool one coud insert different chissels for different situations.
#2872 is clearly a "Schwarz'sche Schrankmesslehre" but i have no idea how to use it ggg ...smile...
greetings Walter

#2872 Schwarz'sche Cabinet measuring gauge, precision gauge 0-1 mm
On 5/16/2013 6:02 AM, j Burns wrote:

Blackish Cabinet Guage

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sounds like a good use for it, I just sent the owner an email asking how it works, I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to measure.
#2873 Looks reminds me of a *trap* (for rodents/other?)
Bill
says...

Correct, it says "air chisel/hammer" on it.
Walter

I used mine Tuesday to cut the top out of a 55 gal drum . The wife didn't like me burning the trash in the campfire pit . <<We've moved out into the woods in N. central Arkansas , there's no weekly trash service out here ...>> -- Snag Chiggers and ticks and snakes ! Oh my !
2869 Guess... Crystal holder for a crystal radio.
On 5/16/2013 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC, as always.
Only one I got was the air chisel. Great group of mystery items, they have evaded us all, so far.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I need some help with four of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

2872 - A rough translation of the German: Schwar'sche --- black or ebony, Schrankmesslehre --- cabinet measure gauge, Präzis --- precise or accurate.
Am 16.05.2013 14:42, schrieb snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

not exactly..... Schwarz'sche breaks up into the Name "Schwarz" and the ending 'sche . This is older german language, it means that something is build or constructed after a development or a patent invented by a man with the last Name "Schwarz".
yours Walter

Thanks for the translation, and thanks to everyone else who contributed to solving this device.
Concerning the brass tag, someone had bought a bag of them at the flea market, here is the first photo that was sent to me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album16/pic2870c.jpg
The answers for this set have been posted though three of them have yet to be identified.
Have a great weekend!
Rob

    [ ... ]

    The translation is a great help.

    Given the quantity, I think that we can strike my "Just to prove that I can do it" purpose.
    Is the thickness equal all the way along its length?
    Just how thick *is* it.
    The slot suggests that it could be adjusted to control how much of an opening.
    If it were much smaller, and if I *knew* that it was very thin, I would suggest a reed for a very low pitched note. But the adjustment slot is just not right for that. An accordion reed is typically held in place (at the thicker end) with one or two rivets, depending on the size.
    An English concertina reed would have no holes at all, but would be held down with a bar over the fixed end, with a screw on either side of the reed body.
    Some of the early ones *looked* to be brass (but in reality, were a special bronze alloy.
    If it had silver contact points near the end, it could be a contact for a relay. (But one that large would have a different construction. All we have is the one view, an approximate length (about 2-3/4" or so), a guess at eh width (about a half inch or so), and no real clue as to the thickness (other than it is not as thick as 1/8", and likely a lot thinner).
    Whatever it is, it was a part of something else, and there is just too little information to even start to guess what it is/was for.

    A tough one if three of them all go unidentified.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Here is the full description of them from the email I received:
"...would like to identify is a 5 lb plastic bag full of brass strips. The brass strips are 3" by 1/2" and approximately 1/32 thick."
Hopefully we'll get an answer for them in the coming weeks.

They sound like reeds for some musical instrument.
--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?
On 5/18/13 7:41 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I use playing cards as feeler gauges and shims. Each is about .01". I see how many I can insert, and that's close enough for me.
I've seen brass feeler gauges sold in packs of 10 or 12 of the same thickness. Perhaps they're used as I use playing cards. If stacking is precise enough for you, it could be quicker than looking for the gauge of the thickness you want. If you lose or damage one, who cares? With stacks of identical gauges, you can measure more than one gap simultaneously; that might help in assembling some things.
You'd want holes to keep your gauges on a ring. Round holes could bind if you had a stack of gauges 2cm high on a ring 3cm in diameter. Hence the ovals.

Another possibility is rust proof label tags for just about anything. Plants & keys are two. Art

    Maybe not, if it was over-runs from a one-off project which someone does not want to say anything about (until he gets the patents). There are so *many* things that the specified shape could be used for, so unless there are part numbers on labels on the bags -- which might take some work to interpret. For example, a lot of things for the government are marked with a part number and the Federal Supplier code. The only one of those I know was from Melpar (where I worked almost fifty years ago), which was "04071" IIRC. So, if you find just two numbers, one will the the supplier code, and the other a part number, and if whatever it was was classified, good luck in *ever* finding out, as by the time it is declassified, likely all the documentation has been destroyed because it is a *real* pain keeping classified documents. The amount of re-checking every so often, and the IG checking whether there are documents which are really not needed and so on. And the containers have to be checked at the end of each day, and annotated if they were not opened, or annotated when they are opened and when they are closed *every* time they are opened and closed, and then finally checked to be sure that they are properly locked at the end of the day anyway.
    From the shape and the slot, it *could* be an access cover to some controls inside something. You loosen the screw and slide it to uncover some adjustment pots or switches -- or to lubricate something, or whatever.
    And are they *truly* brass, or could they be Iridited (or Alodyned) aluminum or steel (gives the product a yellow tinge, and good protection against corrosion -- quite common on military parts.)
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
So much history is lost. we don't know what so many items are. Our ancestors are probably irritated with us, having forgotten so much.