Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Am 16.05.2013 10:02, schrieb Rob H.:

#2874 is a pneumatic chisel, we used them in a bodyshop years ago. In the "spring" at the front of the tool one coud insert different chissels for different situations.

#2872 is clearly a "Schwarz'sche Schrankmesslehre" but i have no idea how to use it ggg ...smile...

greetings Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

#2872 Schwarz'sche Cabinet measuring gauge, precision gauge 0-1 mm

Reply to
j Burns
2869 Guess... Crystal holder for a crystal radio.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Posting from my desk top PC, as always.

Only one I got was the air chisel. Great group of mystery items, they have evaded us all, so far.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2872 - A rough translation of the German: Schwar'sche --- black or ebony, Schrankmesslehre --- cabinet measure gauge, Präzis --- precise or accurate.
Reply to
joeljcarver

Am 16.05.2013 14:42, schrieb snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

not exactly..... Schwarz'sche breaks up into the Name "Schwarz" and the ending 'sche . This is older german language, it means that something is build or constructed after a development or a patent invented by a man with the last Name "Schwarz".

yours Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft
2869: I think I've seen these before, described as adjustable gap spark tester.. the round ring part being made of an insulating material bakelite, phenolic etc.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

#2873 Looks reminds me of a *trap* (for rodents/other?)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Blackish Cabinet Guage

Reply to
willshak

Correct, it says "air chisel/hammer" on it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds like a good use for it, I just sent the owner an email asking how it works, I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to measure.

Reply to
Rob H.

Spark tester is correct, it's for use on small engines.

Reply to
Rob H.

#2872 I suspect that this is for setting the depth of cut on a woodworking plane or jointer.

There are better pictures of some out on the net.

From what I see, the little tab on the upper left can move relative it the to the bar that runs down the remainder of the left side. This movement is magnified by gears or linkages to the pointer. I have several old test indicators that work on the same principle.

If you lay the stationary bar on the infeed side of a planer and the tab on the outfeed, as you lower the infeed table the depth of cut would read off in mm.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

ABTestedFeatureKey=59

Yes, the owner of it replied and said the same about the tab on the upper left.

Setting the depth of woodworking tools seems to be a sensible use for it, I'll forward this on to the owner.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

....And I would guess it might be used for a 2 cylinder outboard.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I used mine Tuesday to cut the top out of a 55 gal drum . The wife didn't like me burning the trash in the campfire pit . -- Snag Chiggers and ticks and snakes ! Oh my !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

2869) Hmm ... looks like some kind of arc with the third electrode at an angle used to inject a high voltage spike to start the arc.

From the size of the bulldog clip, it is fairly high current, but not excessively high.

I presume that the ring is something like Bakelite (a fiber filled plastic).

2870) This could be anything -- including something made just to prove that you can do it as a test of the material or the machine tool.

2871) Looks like something which could slide in one direction along a wood beam, and lock when slid in the other direction.

2872) A small force gauge, and given the size, it could be a stylus pressure gauge (for phonograph needles). Depending on the vintage, the scale could be in ounces, or grams -- more likely the latter.

2873) Hmm ... perhaps a shock mount for attaching a pocket watch to the end of a cloth ribbon style of fob.

2874) This one, at least, is quite clear -- one of two very similar objects:

a) An air chisel (minus the chisel blade which fits in the spring retainer).

b) An air riveting tool.

The difference between the two is length of stroke and number of beats per minute, I believe.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for the translation, and thanks to everyone else who contributed to solving this device.

Concerning the brass tag, someone had bought a bag of them at the flea market, here is the first photo that was sent to me:

The answers for this set have been posted though three of them have yet to be identified.

Have a great weekend!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The translation is a great help.

Given the quantity, I think that we can strike my "Just to prove that I can do it" purpose.

Is the thickness equal all the way along its length?

Just how thick *is* it.

The slot suggests that it could be adjusted to control how much of an opening.

If it were much smaller, and if I *knew* that it was very thin, I would suggest a reed for a very low pitched note. But the adjustment slot is just not right for that. An accordion reed is typically held in place (at the thicker end) with one or two rivets, depending on the size.

An English concertina reed would have no holes at all, but would be held down with a bar over the fixed end, with a screw on either side of the reed body.

Some of the early ones *looked* to be brass (but in reality, were a special bronze alloy.

If it had silver contact points near the end, it could be a contact for a relay. (But one that large would have a different construction. All we have is the one view, an approximate length (about

2-3/4" or so), a guess at eh width (about a half inch or so), and no real clue as to the thickness (other than it is not as thick as 1/8", and likely a lot thinner).

Whatever it is, it was a part of something else, and there is just too little information to even start to guess what it is/was for.

A tough one if three of them all go unidentified.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols