What is it? Set 492

Page 2 of 2
Am 09.05.2013 17:21, schrieb Walter Kraft:

lol..
You may check the What is it Blog , Set # 423
says...

Good memory! Someone had just sent me a couple of photos of the shell puller so I went ahead and posted it again. Years ago when someone would send me something that I had previously posted I would tell them thanks but I already posted one of those, but I've since change my policy and now repost things once in a while. I appreciate it when people send me items to post, and if nothing else it serves as a memory test.
Rob
On 5/9/2013 3:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2865 Is a knife to cut the twine on corn bundles when feeding it into a corn shredder. I used one like that 60 years ago.
On 09 May 2013 in rec.woodworking, Ralph wrote:

Going back a couple of weeks - the blade looks like it could be a knife from a sickle bar, possibly one which has been replaced, which is fitted into a homemade handle.
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
On 5/9/2013 12:26 PM, Joe Makowiec wrote:

Yes it was a section used on sickles. Very likely a home made tool.

Yes, I've seen a few of these tools and every one of them looked homemade from part of a sickle bar blade.

That's it! As seen on page 255 of the Dictionary of American Hand Tools under the category of knife, he calls it a Bale Tie Cutter.
Rob H. wrote:

2863 -
2864 - Looks like an old musket ball.
2865 - Home made stalk/cane cutter. Made quite a few for folks. Not sure if they were sold commercially or not.
2866 -
2867 - Portable grain/coffee mill burr.
2868 -
--
Steve W.

2863)    Hmm ... some sort of ceremonial baton. Given the green     color, I suspect some Irish group, but it could be green     for ceremonial reasons in any number of organizations which     I don't know the details of.
2864)    Is that weight estimate accurate? If it is sort of close,     perhaps a ball of Tungsten. Nobody tried to see how hard it is?     If it is easy to dent, lead itself is likely. If very hard,     Tungsten is possible. Or perhaps something like depleted     Uranium?
2865)    Is it sharp or dull? If sharp, a custom purpose knife. If     dull, perhaps used for smoothing edges.
2866)    Likely intended to slip onto disc-shaped projections from     a truck or aircraft body to use for attaching cargo nets and     ropes to keep things from shifting in transit.
2867)    A hypoid style gear (combination of a bevel gear and an input     gear whose axis is below or above the center height of the gear     shown. It is likely part of a differential, and based on the     size, it is most likely from a toy car of some sort. Not even     one big enough for a kid to ride on.
    Now -- it *might* be some form of cutter, instead. But to tell     that would require the rust and dirt to be cleaned off it, and     ideally to see it in its pre-rust condition.
2868)    Hmmm .... aside from the fitting in the bottom center, it looks     rather like one of the waxed leather drinking flasks found in     various medieval reenactment gatherings. But at 14" tall, that     is a lot to drink. :-)
    The bottom think looks like it is designed to snap into some     sort of mounting place. Perhaps it is designed to capture leaks     from some sort of lubricator, and to allow it to be poured back     into the supply vessel at the top?
    Now to post, and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posting from my desktop PC in the living room, as always.

2863- Military origin, from 265th Maintenance Battalion.. My guess would be that it's ceremonial. Possibly a baton, swagger stick or (unlikely) drum stick. Dunno.
No luck yet identifying the rock but the answers for the rest of this set have been posted:
Rob

I think you said something about lead.
Look at the crystal structure of galena.
Have them do a hardness and streak test.