What is it? Set 492

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
2863 The respectful guess is that this is a pointer used for keeping place in the process of reading scripture. A less respectful guess is back-scratcher.
On 5/9/2013 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2864 Guess... A musket ball that has corroded and then been cleaned up.
On 5/9/2013 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2867 is a burr from a coffee mill -- one of the higher-speed commercial mills, like you see in grocery stores. (I have a stack of them, which we use for grinding chemicals, so I'm not guessing)
LLoyd

Is that your "final" guess? :~) I think I would agree with you that does look like you said.

Sounds like a good answer, I did a quick search and couldn't find one like it but hopefully will by tomorrow.
Thanks, Rob
On Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:23:32 PM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

-- > >LLoyd

e it but hopefully will by tomorrow. Thanks, Rob
Many grinders have similar burrs, not just for coffee. Found in a garden, previously a farmyard? Size gives a clue, also.
My grandfather had a corn grinder with a very similar looking small diamete r burr (positioned horizontally), for grinding corn into smaller bits, to f eed the baby chicks, not for making edible meal or for ginding coffee beans .
A corresponding concave disc/burr was stationary over the lower rotating di sc. I'm sure other grains could be ground, also. The grinding aspect was not completely enclosed, to capture all the bits, pieces and dust of the me al, so as you cranked the handle, some debris would fall out from other tha n the spout area. That grinder was mounted on a post under an overhang of the barn, ie., the debris remained outdoors. Someone in the family still ha s that old grinder, so a pic might be able to be gotten. The grinding acti on (and burr) was visible as you ground the corn. When young, I operated t he grinder many times, when visiting.
2867 - A burr for a grain grinder for crushing large grain into smaller siz es for feeding chicks and other small farm birds, or the like.
Sonny

It is only 1.5" dia., are commercial grinder burrs really that small?
To me it looks more like a drive washer: http://www.heliproz.com/22808000-Drive-Washer-21-32-OSMG5496/productinfo/147760/

A few are, but only the fine-grind "expresso" types. I've only had a couple that small, and they weren't useful for chemicals grinding. The rest those I saved are from 2.5" o.d. to 5" o.d., and of varying types.
Some have 'plain' surfaces like that (but it still could be a helical gear!) Some have an auger in the center. Some have "cut teeth" where the helical teeth have been gouged at periods to provide movement of the material. Usually the gouging is in a spiral. Some have only 'spikes', and no radial or helical teeth at all. Some have round holes. Some have square holes. Some have mounting holes for a bushing or boss.
I don't think anyone ever decided what is the optimum configuration for a coffee grinding burr!
The ones I have all share two things: They came from an A&P Grocery store warehouse shutdown, and they're all harder than a witch's heart! You could cut C-90 cobalt tools with 'em!
Lloyd
On 2013-05-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

    Perhaps it is a result of trying to get around various patented designs -- during the period when the patents were still valid?

    Sound useful, then.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Well then, if 2867 is hard, it is likely a grinder. If it is soft it is likely a drive washer.

2863 - Jeweler's ring mandrel
2866- Bottle opener
2868 - Barrel cover for an artillery piece

2867 - looks like the spiral-bevel driven gear for a small angle-head hand tool, such as an angle-head drill motor.
--
Ed Huntress

It certainly could be. There are very few differences between a plain burr and a gear, except where it's used.
I said I was sure -- wasn't guessing. Now you have me wondering if I shouln't have jumped on it so quickly! <G>
Lloyd
On Thu, 09 May 2013 07:35:53 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Don't wonder. After posting my suggestion I read yours and slapped my head..."of course, dummy," says I to myself.
So now we've sown doubt in each other. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

Heh! "Decision by committee!" <G>
Lloyd

2864 makes me think of a worn/tumbled/eroded galena crystal.
2867 Spice grinder/pepper mill burr
On 5/9/2013 3:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2864. I going to guess one of thousands used to polish raw castings.
2865. With the handle being approximately 10" long the triangular piece is used to do things that require a triangular shaped object. The symmetrical shape from one side to the other aids in implementing the required action to complete the task of doing something with the triangular shaped piece. Ok, I'll stop now. ;~)
On 5/9/2013 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually I think I have seen something similar used to skin an animal.
Am 09.05.2013 10:05, schrieb Rob H.:

2866.... Case puller to use with shotguns without ejektors.
Walter