This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Alexander Thesoso

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Alexander Thesoso fired this volley in news:kmftm2$km5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

2867 is a burr from a coffee mill -- one of the higher-speed commercial mills, like you see in grocery stores. (I have a stack of them, which we use for grinding chemicals, so I'm not guessing)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2863 - Jeweler's ring mandrel

2866- Bottle opener

2868 - Barrel cover for an artillery piece
Reply to
joeljcarver

2867 - looks like the spiral-bevel driven gear for a small angle-head hand tool, such as an angle-head drill motor.
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It certainly could be. There are very few differences between a plain burr and a gear, except where it's used.

I said I was sure -- wasn't guessing. Now you have me wondering if I shouln't have jumped on it so quickly!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Don't wonder. After posting my suggestion I read yours and slapped my head..."of course, dummy," says I to myself.

So now we've sown doubt in each other. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh! "Decision by committee!"

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2864 makes me think of a worn/tumbled/eroded galena crystal.

2867 Spice grinder/pepper mill burr

Reply to
phorbin

Is that your "final" guess? :~) I think I would agree with you that does look like you said.

Reply to
Leon

2864. I going to guess one of thousands used to polish raw castings.

2865. With the handle being approximately 10" long the triangular piece is used to do things that require a triangular shaped object. The symmetrical shape from one side to the other aids in implementing the required action to complete the task of doing something with the triangular shaped piece. Ok, I'll stop now. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Actually I think I have seen something similar used to skin an animal.

Reply to
Leon

Am 09.05.2013 10:05, schrieb Rob H.:

2866.... Case puller to use with shotguns without ejektors.

Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

Am 09.05.2013 17:21, schrieb Walter Kraft:

lol..

You may check the What is it Blog , Set # 423

Reply to
Walter Kraft

Going back a couple of weeks - the blade looks like it could be a knife from a sickle bar, possibly one which has been replaced, which is fitted into a homemade handle.

Reply to
Joe Makowiec

2865 Is a knife to cut the twine on corn bundles when feeding it into a corn shredder. I used one like that 60 years ago.
Reply to
Ralph

Yes it was a section used on sickles. Very likely a home made tool.

Reply to
Ralph

2863 -

2864 - Looks like an old musket ball.

2865 - Home made stalk/cane cutter. Made quite a few for folks. Not sure if they were sold commercially or not.

2866 -

2867 - Portable grain/coffee mill burr.

2868 -

Reply to
Steve W.

Sounds like a good answer, I did a quick search and couldn't find one like it but hopefully will by tomorrow.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.