What is it? Set 491

Page 2 of 2

2857 Sure looks like a movie prop, to send the position of a fictional Russian ship back to mother Russia.---or a death ray targeting device (shades of Captain Video).
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
#2858 A carbide lamp?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp
Bill

Thanks for the translations, I'll post them with my answer for it.
2860 - A Cheese Curd Paddle ?
Crazy Ed

2861 Is a mount for temporarily attaching a hitch ball to a bumper back when vehicles had real bumpers. Art

Thanks! Looks like you are correct, I just found the patent for it:
http://www.google.com/patents/US2814506
Artemus wrote:

Had one like it years ago. That and a clamp on tow bar meant you could bring 2 auction cars back to the shop at a time....
These day's you take a hauler or hope the run.
--
Steve W.

    Yes, Opera now works on the "Larger" links.
2857)    Quite an interesting item.
    First glance says military, based on the color, but     not quite right for US Army equipment.
    Closer looks say that it is from Russia. (The lettering on the     controls, and on the globe look Cyrrilic to me.
    Given the fact that there is a complete globe in it, and the     fact that it has scales marked in degrees, and at least one dial     in degrees, minutes and seconds, I suspect that it is a target     entry console for an ICBM.
    In particular, I find the thick red lines at the borders between     the US and the neighboring countries to be of interest. I     suspect that the globe is in there to serve as a double-check     that the latitude and longitude were entered correctly. You     dial in the setting, then look at the map to make sure that it     looks like where you wanted to hit.
    I suspect that the knob to the bottom right of the globe is the     arming switch, with a safety lock around it.
    And -- it looks like it is designed to mount in a console.
    I would be interrested in seeing a translation of the control     markings once the answers are all in.
2858)    Hmm ... I suspect that the larger plug should also have an     O-ring in the groove between where the threads end and the     knurled knob starts.
    At a guess, this was for sampling the atmosphere, for detecting     poisonous or explosive gasses which are common in coal mines.
    It may hold some absorbent material, and have a pump pulling air     into it for some hours or days.
2859)    My first guess was that it was to puncture cans like oil cans or     beverage cans. (No dimensions to select between the twoP.
    However, the points are not sharp enough. So -- they may be to     open valves in a cylindrical object, or to hold a screw-in lid     against rotating by the pins in (perhaps blind) holes, while the     cylindrical object itself is rotated below to screw in or     unscrew a lid.
2860)    A paddle for use on only one side of a canoe (one hand grips     the T-bar at the top, and the other hand grips part-way down the     handle. but it would be difficult to swap sides quickly.
    Or -- it could be for stirring something being mixed, a large     amount of stew, or a paint, or fertilizer, or whatever.
2861)    Looks like a tool for crimping either large electrical     terminals, or swaged fittings on the end of steel cables.
    It has sockets for three different sizes -- and the chained     semi-circles could be used to adapt to two other sizes.
    However -- one feature does not look right for that purpose.     The larger notches are at a greater distance from the threaded     bar which applies the force. Unless it is way undersized for the     task.
2862)    The black cylindrical object is a battery -- to be filled with     acid just prior to use.
    Are the wired rods in the third photo a part of the battery or     grounding rods?
    At a guess, it is a portable (likely military) telegraph, hooked     to the wires, and to a headphone, while the spring-loaded button     is the sending key.
    I would be interested to know what lives in the drawer.
    And the three-fingered thing is another puzzle.
    Time to post this, and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I'll ask the owner if the two probes are hooked up to anything, the cords on them are 48" long, and will also ask about the drawer, I'm guessing that the 3 wire tool was in it.
Still not sure about two of them but the rest of the answers have been posted:
Rob
2860 After a little memory exercise... This looks like a peat spade / peat cutter / peat shovel. The keys to memory are that it is heavy and sharp on the end.
On 5/3/2013 5:28 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I believe 2860 is a slick. Probably for shipbuilding, as the "T" handle would let you apply more force to cut trunnels flush.
Kevin Gallimore
On 5/3/2013 6:52 PM, axolotl wrote:

Just read your post. I agree.. it's a slick.
--
Jeff

I think that slick is probably correct, the Dictionary of American Hand Tools shows it as a clapboard slick, they also list a carpenters' slick but it looks a little different. Thanks