What is it? Set 490

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:37:30 -0400
<snip>

I had some troubles at the time and I was running Opera 12. Been using Opera 12 builds for maybe a year now, too lazy to figure out exactly...
At the time it seemed to clear up when I forced/downloaded the latest browser.js update, but I think now that was just a coincidence. In looking over the latest browser.js there is no mention in it for either photobucket or blogspot. It was screwed up for maybe a two week period for me. Not quite long enough for me to dig into it seriously ;-)
Thanks for the tip that Photobucket was definitely messing around with their code at the time.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Glad to hear that the problem is solved, if you have any more similar issues please let me know.
Rob
2856 At first glance, I thought this looked like a gear-puller, and a nice one with adjustable length of pull. But, then, I noticed the puny little thumbscrew. All the gear-pullers I'd ever seen have some provision to provide substantial pulling force or torque. For example, a big knob, a hex-head for a wrench, or a rod through the head. The thumbscrew is not chewed up, as it would be if an open-end wrench were used on it. I thought this must be something other than a simple gear-puller.
On 4/26/2013 5:18 PM, Rob H. wrote:

You make a good point about the thumbscrew not being adequate for good pulling force. I'll ask the owner of this tool if he knows anything more about it and will post his answer when I get it.

It could be for clocks.
Joe Gwinn

It definately is a puller, but given its not adjustable..its probably a piece made for a given object to be removed. What that object is...is open to question. It is 7" long..so the opening in the center is probably 2.5". Given the thumbscrew..its not meant for something commonly rusted or jammed on.

    [ ... ]
    It might be a pulley puller -- or a fan blade puller -- both of which normally need lower forces. The thumbscrew looks like about 1-4/20, so it is for fairly small hub devices scaling up from that.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 4/25/13 5:28 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I believe a ball of ice 6" in diameter would weigh about 4 pounds. One might manage a chunk that size with these. Here's something similar: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Metal-Iron-Ice-Coal-Tongs-VC-/151031091787?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item232a27924b
That seems to be a common design, similar to the mystery item but for the handles. The chain handle would make it easy to carry for a distance, but the scissors handles would make it easy to grab ice with one hand.

No way those are ice tongs. "Ice cube" tongs, maybe.
The handles are made for a thumb and finger. Certainly, some kind of caliper.
4ax.com:

2851 - collar for a sled dog? 2855 - I agree with you: ice cube tongs 2856 - gear or pulley puller
On 4/25/2013 3:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Rob I think item 2855 was made/used to find the exact same point on two sides of an object. I'm sure I've seen one elsewhere, just can't place it. It wold definitely be carpenter type accuracy, not machinist.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Is there a different name for it than calipers? Because I haven't found any calipers that have handles.