What is it? Set 490

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

2851 Leg Shackle
2852 For pulling seals out of faucets
2853 Spanner Wrench
2854 Toe in/toe out alignment tool for horse shoes so they don't walk sideways
2855 caliper
2856 Gear puller
Robert

I'm still not sure what this tool is, I did a search on faucet seal pullers but didn't see one like it.

Yes

Correct
2851, some kind of animal collar? 2852, don't know 2853, ancient carbon zinc AA cell 2854, power assist toilet seat for nursing homes. "Help, I'm on the toilet and can't get up!" That, or some kind of angle finder. 2855, maybe ice tongs for the ice delivery guy? 2856, no clue.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

I think this is correct but I haven't found another exactly like this one.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

2855 Too small and flimsy for Ice tongs. Looks like there is an adjustment for minimum closure. I also think they are quick calipers of some type.
--
 GW Ross

 Junk mail arrives the day it was
"G. Ross" <

2851 Skid chains for an elephant? heh heh ... ;>)}

When researching this tool I found a number of ice tongs smaller than this one, though most of them were a more heavy duty.

No luck yet on the second tool in this set but the rest of the answers have been posted:
Rob
Rob, on that second tool (2852)...
That smacks a great deal of those cheezy import tools you could buy at Monkey Wards in the 1970s. Half of them never did what you want, and all of them were poorly-painted, Cadmium-plated junk... just like that one.
That looks for all the world like the spindle is spring-loaded in the downward position, and it's raised by squeezing the fixed handle and the lifting handle together.
If that's the case, I'm betting it's some variety of tile drill or glass drill.
Lloyd

Good answer, turns out that tile drill is correct, I had earlier searched this term but didn't find one like it, then someone posted the link below, which calls it a tile cutter:
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Tile-cutter/p/sm/1055739969.htm

AH! An attachment for another tool. That explains the odd base!
Lloyd

    I didn't get a chance to post when they were un-answered, but looking at (2852), my guess is that it is a tool for for installing the woodworker's version of Tee-nuts (not to be confused with the metalworkr's version, which fits into a T-slot). This is an internally-threaded cylinder with a flange at one end which has three spikes cut partially off and folded down parallel to the cylinder. They are intended to fit in holes in wood and be drawn (or driven) so the flange is flat on the wood, and the spikes are driven in to hold it in place. A machine screw comes in from the other side to secure something to the wood.
    This tool would have the threaded shank fed through the hole (it looks like the nuts are threaded on an outer sleeve -- but the "larger" links still don't work for me). Anyway -- the threaded shaft goes through the wood, the Tee-nut is threaded onto the shaft, and then the handle is operated to pull the Tee-nut into the wood and then the crank is turned to unscrew the threaded shaft from the Tee-nut.
    Because of the lack of a working "larger" link for me, I can't be sure -- but the tip of the threaded rod looks like it may be designed to drill through the wood on its own -- just by crank pressure.
    Could you *please* find a photo posting site which does not limit you to only Internet Explorer -- or perhaps one or two other Windows based programs -- or does not require you to create an account and log in to view the images? (I'm not sure which of the two is limiting me, but I refuse to create an account to test that, and I don't run Windows.
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 02:57:02 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
<snip>

Like you, I refuse to use IE. For me works fine on an Intel based computer running Ubuntu or Mint supporting Firefox or Opera. Never had any problems accessing site or pictures. Large image also OK, EXCEPT that where there is more than one image for an item, ONLY the last image in the series enlarges.

    Good!

    Intersting. I get nothing from the site with Firefox -- but on a system running Sun's Solaris OS -- and the CPU would not support Windows anyway -- it doesn't run on an UltraSPARC CPU. :-)
    Opera no longer supports Solaris -- so I can't run anything newer than 10.11 (*way* out of date by now). And, since unlike Firefox, it is not open source, so there is no chance of someone else making it work there.
    With FireFox, I am running 19.0.2. But I am also using "noscript" with it, which may be turning off something which it needs to work. (But turning things back on does not make it work.)
    Maybe the site just needs an Intel CPU to work. :-(
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

If you haven't already seen my reply to Lloyd, check it out for the answer to this tool.

No problem, I have another photo site in mind and will try it in the next day or two, I'm heading out right now and won't have much time today.
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Yes, thank you both. I encountered the same issue. I couldn't view the images without creating an account either.

    Not yet -- probably somewhere downthread a bit.

    Thanks!
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 27 Apr 2013 02:57:02 GMT

I was having some problems with this too a while back when you first mentioned it. After a few more Opera Browser updates it went away. Currently I'm using version 12.15 under Ubuntu Karmic/Lucid. I know you are stuck with a much older version due to Opera dropping support for your OS... but you might want to try having Opera mask as Firefox or even Explorer cough, cough, ack, spit... There are two ways to do that, via F12 (or Tools->Quick Preferences) will fool most sites or right-click on the page where you are having trouble and select Edit Site Preferences. In that new menu you have the ability to completely mask as Firefox or Explorer. A complete mask can only be done on a site-by-site basis. The first method keeps masking for all sites until you change it back.
FWIW wget was able to download one of the larger image links just fine. This one for example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album16/pic2855a.jpg
I started looking into what was going amuck between Opera and Photobucket when it first began but quit when the problem went away a couple weeks later...
If none of that helps tell me what version of Opera you are running again and I'll do some research.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

    [ ... ]

    I'm familiar with the masking. I was unable to use Opera at all for a while. I had added a second Creator-3D framebuffer and turned on Xinerama (allows spreading of a virtual screen over multiple physical screens), and it was crashing Opera before it ever displayed anything on the screen, and was crashing some pages in FireFox (even the latest) when they needed JavaScript and Flash (and Flash also no longer supplies updates for Solaris. :-(
    But I replaced the two Creator-3D frambuffers with an XVR-1200 dual one, and I now have things working as desired -- and Oprea no longer commits suicide on invocation, so I can go back to trying that.

    Great! Yes, that works for me, too. I should have tried that earlier. Except that the URL is hard to pry out of the browser. :-)

    Well ... wget helps. And Opera works for me now, even "identifying as Opera" -- no masking needed. So they have fixed part of the problems -- but they still have something which does not like UltraSPARC based FireFox for whatever reason. I wonder what would happen with an X86 based Solaris? O.K. The 5.0 version of Firefox on that system just hangs with a blank screen. That system can't even ping the img.photobucket.com site, though traceroute does get (slowly) out past my own domain's machines into the ISP's world. And no problem accessing:
    http://www.gnu.org
so it is not the net access itself which is the problem, though a lot of my machines are intentionally blocked from reaching the outside. :-)
    It does not now matter, since Opera does work for me, but the version of Opera which I have is 10.11.
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 28 Apr 2013 02:44:46 GMT

Okay for now, glad you got something working :) I'll make a note for your version of Opera just in case.
At the time I thought it might have been something that Opera was correcting via their browser.js file. But I just looked through their latest version of browser.js and there is no mention of either blogspot or photobucket in it. My other best guess is that they fixed something at either blogspot or photobucket and it took a bit to get flushed out of my disk cache.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b