What is it? Set 488

Page 2 of 2
On 4/11/2013 3:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2840 - Brick or block carrier

2839 - Wheelwright's measure
2840 - Brick carrier
On 4/11/2013 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2843 looks like a tamper proof ring... usually used on electric meters from the utility company, but also on tractor trailers doors to show that the door was not opened since packing. Older type that I don't see anymore.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

#2843: How about a tool for cutting cord or wire? It would be easier to carry in your pocket much better than manyalternatives.
Bill

2844. My guess would be a key for unbolting a manhole cover.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
WW wrote:

A traveler.
--
 GW Ross

 Don't worry about the future, sooner

#2843 Maybe the "conductor" used it to mark/clip tickets on passenger railways(it might also be handy to have in a scuffle).
Bill
WW wrote:

#2843 -- I got it. It's a key ring.Here is "corroborating evidence": http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-1879-Brass-Key-Ring-Holder-Two-Brass-Keys-Excellent-L-K-/300853671073?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item460c46b4a1&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101
Bill

    O.K. You're back to full distribution. :-)
    Photobucket still does not like my brower.
2839)    The circumference makes it clear (you could have made it a little     more difficult by posting the diameter instead. :-) -- it is a     rolling wheel to measure linear paths up to two feet. You can     set the pointer to where you want before starting to roll -- or     turn the wheel until the pointer is where you want it.
    If you need to go beyond two feet, you will have to keep count     of complete turns of the wheel -- perhaps with a dab of     contrasting paint on one of the spokes.
2840)    A tool to compress something -- likely a front suspension     spring from an automobile. Though it looks a little light     weight for the purpose (say I without having a chance to try to     lift it. :-)
2841)    Well ... it fits in a brace of the Brace-and-Bit style, based on     the long tapered pyramid on the left.
    Looks like it fits onto a hole in some form of guide and cuts     something clamped between the guide and a backing piece, likely     both made of wood. :-) I would suspect that it is for making     circular pads of leather.
    If it did not have a bevel edge on it (which is clearly visible     in the second photo) I would think that it might be a wrench to     fit into a cylindrical enclosure and to unscrew something from     there. (Like perhaps part of a water valve.)
2842)    Well ... it clamps onto something cylindrical (perhaps a rifle     barrel) and is prevented from rotating by the slot at 10:00 in     the second photo engaging the front sight. This would put the     roller pretty close to dead center under the barrel. Perhaps for     some form of benchrest shooting of moving targets, so you could     roll the front across the bench while not having to support the     full weight of the arm.
2843)    Assuming that the color is not from Anodized aluminum, but rather     bronze, If that were a "MD" instead of a "MO' at the end of the     address, I would think that it had to do with sailboats, but     there is not anything like that there that I know of.
    It looks as though it locks onto a wire or cable by rotating the     button at the end.
    Hmm ... perhaps part of the way a mail bag was picked up (or     dropped off) by a moving train going through the station.     Perhaps this had Chilicothe as the destination?
2844)    This looks like a wrench for unscrewing bungs from metal     barrels (drums) of oil or solvents prior to screwing in a pump     or a tap.
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 4/11/13 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2846: The arms look spindly. I wonder if they're metal. Near the arms, there's a wide groove across the board on the side that would be up. I wonder if it's for slicing through something instead of cutting against the board. The last raised portion could serve as a visual gage to slice something into 1" pieces and drop them into a container about 24" in diameter. I've never seen a barrel of pickled eel.
2848: Are the push buttons electrical? There are mirror sundials. Perhaps XI is for the hour around 11 AM and the XII is for the hour around noon.