This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
On 4/11/13 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

could cause customer annoyance.

I usually don't reply to answers for items that are also on Neatorama, but since someone already got it I'll go ahead and say that this is correct. Or at least mostly correct, the Dictionary of American Hand Tools has a slightly different definition for this tool.
On 4/11/13 4:00 PM, Rob H. wrote:

grandfather was once a wheelwright. What if he'd put on a wheel 3" bigger than the others!
I looked it up. It is called a traveller or wheelwright's traveller. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/478817
Now my confusion is greatly reduced. I still have the nitpicking issue that wheels have to be round. The traveller, run around the circumference doesn't check that the wheel isn't slightly elliptical. If the wheelwright spins the wheel to check that it is round, then a yardstick should do a good job of checking the size. But... I've learned not to argue with or question a professional doing his job.
On 4/11/2013 6:24 PM, j Burns wrote:

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

They were used to measure the circumference of the wooden wheel then transfer this measurement to the straight metal strip to cut it the right length to fit over the wooden wheel. Try doing that with a yardstick.
--
 GW Ross

"I collect rare photographs... I have two... One of Houdini locking his
"Ted Schuerzinger" <

With this tool mathematical equations are not required. Simple as you can get....
Phil Kangas wrote:

You don't need a mathematical equation if you simply put the correct markings on the measuring stick.
Seems like measuring with a non-elastic string or wire would be more accurate than running a wheel around another wheel.
On 4/12/13 6:08 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

If a customer had a damaged wheel, I think giving it a spin under the traveler would be an easy to see what size it had been.
Measuring flat iron for a tire was easy: roll the wheel along it, then cut 2 or 3" longer. Bending it into a circle would shorten it. That's where the traveler came in: measure the wheel and measure the C-shaped tire before welding.
Still a problem with cross-posting replies... I posted:
> 2839: a surveyor's wheel It certainly looks like a wheel used to measure length, but I was/am confused. I don't see a turns-counter. Without a rotation counter, I'd expect the use to be limited to distances of only a few circumferences, and I find it hard to imagine the specific use.
as a response to mbuck's post on rec.puzzles, but it didn't show up here.
On 4/11/2013 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I think the issue here is in the particular post from mbuck, when I click reply to him it only lists rec.puzzles, when I click reply on someone else's post, it lists all three groups. I think this is because he only posted his reply to rec.puzzles and not the other two.
Btw, I'm glad that thing are back to normal with most all of the replies in one thread, it's much easy for me that way.
Rob

    [ ... ]

    Which is actually how proper netquette expects us to behave. However, I have no desire to follow the other two newsgroups (just rec.crafts.metalworking), and I'm sure that others feel the same way, so I consider this to be an exception to the restriction of followups to a single newsgroup. (And my newsreader reminds me every time I post in these threads. :-)
    There is even a "Followup-To: " header to force the discussion to a specific newsgroup when it has been started cross-posted to gather interest. (And a bit of a "puzzlement" to those who don't notice it, and don't see what they posted in the newsgroup in which they posted the reply -- sometimes the try again and again. :-)

    Agreed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 11/04/2013 5:35 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2841 is a spoon bit for cutting circular mortises in legs of chairs to fit round tenons into. The square tapered endfits into the chuck of a hand brace .

It does look similar to a spoon bit but according a link I found it was used for a different purpose.
#2842. Wild guess: Perhaps part of a lock from a car door?
Bill
Bill wrote:

I refine my guess to part of lock mechanism from a car's trunk. It appears that a lock cylinder would fit into the larger cylindrical half.
Bill
On 12/04/2013 5:18 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The only other thing that comes to mind is a plug cutter for making wooden plugs .
Other than that Im done.

Good guess! Plug cutter is correct. It was a good week, I'm always happy when the mystery items all get identified. The answers for this set can be seen here:
Rob
On 4/12/13 4:07 PM, Rob H. wrote:

the traveler was not required to measure the flat iron. It was used after the tire was bent into a circle, which was probably irregular. http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/preservation/smithy/chpt4.htm

Thanks for the link, I added it to my answer. I didn't have time to read the whole article but will read it later today or tomorrow when I get time.
Rob