What is it? Set 477

Page 4 of 4
On 1/31/2013 9:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Absolutely! Trains have to cross those fence lines too. Now in Washington DC they would build a rail road trestle over that barbed wire fence. ;~)

And the tracks would have to be min of 14 foot 6 inches over the ground, so semi trailers with CB antenna could pass under?

On 1/31/2013 8:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Howsomever, the first time they built it it would be constructed exactly 9.9873" too short.
Government: Always time (and OPM) to do it over. Getting it right the first time raises the expectations of folks to unrealistic standards!
By gosh, I think he's got it!
On 1/31/2013 8:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Howsomever, the first time they built it it would be constructed exactly 9.9873" too short.
Government: Always time (and OPM) to do it over. Getting it right the first time raises the expectations of folks to unrealistic standards!

    Nope! In Washington DC -- they would not allow the barbed wire in the first place. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 2013-01-31, Bluey69 <bluey69> wrote:

    Not sure why this is posted under set 477, since it applies to 478 (and thus I would not have read it until after posting my own answers. But I'll comment here on your item.

    In South Texas, I knew them as "cattle guards", and I normally saw them on normal roadways which needed frequent traffic, thus eliminating having to open and close each gate as you drove through.
    In the standard road implementation, the bars are pipes at right angles to the road instead of parallel to it here as is forced by the direction of the rails. Here, the bars appear to be triangular, making it harder to balance a hoof on the top surface.
    While I'm here, I might as well deal with the rest -- as well as I can.
2780)    Contrast is poor in the image, but after a bit of work I think     that the blades connecting to the handle act as springs to close     the claws -- and they are released by hitting the fingers in the     fork of the claw.
    It looks to be about the size to grip the hoof of something     smaller than a horse or cow. It might be to grip the neck of     something rather aggressive.
2781)    A Ben-Wah ball (not sure of the spelling). :-)
2782)    A rather decorative saw designed to work on the draw rather     than the more common push teeth. Looks rather heavy, and     appears to be designed to be supported by an overhead rope.
    Given the hook and the direction of the teeth, I suspect that it     is designed to rest on a rotating workpiece, with the teeth     cutting and the hook keeping it from being dragged forward by     the cutting force.
    And it looks perhaps as though it was built in some Asian     country, given the decorative work at the tip.
2783)    A simple splice link for a chain. It is either to join two     chains, form one into a link, or to replace a broken link.
2784)    Ratcheting pusher or jack. Rests on one surface and pushes some     other surface (perhaps a heavy lid or something else with the     extending rod.
    Not enough detail to be sure how one releases it, however.
    Now posting (from rec.crafts.metalworking as always), and then on to read the rest of this thread -- and the other one with the proper group number.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 04:26:04 -0000, DoN. Nichols

A British single track road cattle grid http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1566519

--
[dash dash space newline 4line sig]

Money/Life question
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:05:38 -0000, "Stanley Daniel de Liver"

Even paint works if stock has been around cattle guards
<https://www.google.com/search?q=western+cattle+guard&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-aurora&hs=Ehr&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei cQUcjfJqnViwKz54C4BQ&ved GsQsAQ&biw80&bih0>
gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Terrible URL. It would not fold, and I had to go to the smallest font and then stretch out the window to be able to cut and paste it into a browser. (And no -- in my newsreader, you *can't* just click on the URL. :-)
    Anyway -- this (the "virtual cattle guard) reenforces my opinion of the mental level of cattle. In South Texas, cattle are normally wattered from a tank (a large tapered swimming pool bulldozed in the land) but in periods of drought, these can evaporate down to almost nothing, and that is when a "pear burner" is brought out. A blowtorch with the head remoted from the fuel tane which is worn on the back, and is used to burn the needles of the ubiquitous prickley pear cactus. The big thick "leaves" are full of water, and the cattle will happily chown down on these for water. Fine, until the rains return, and the cattle keep eating the prickley pear -- at least until a new growth of thorns come out, and they get a mouthfull of thorns. Then they finally remember why they don't normally eat the prickley pear. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

So even cows are smarter than the trolls on this newsgroup? :-)

Sorry about that. I dont know of a good way to present the massed results of a google search. Any suggestions?

Ayup...I lived in Texas more than once. McAllen, Edinberg, Pharr etc Reynosa was where we went for a good dinner and $3 a carton Marlbouros.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie

Google web search: <http://www.google.com/search?q=western+cattle+guard
Google image search: <http://www.google.com/images?q=western+cattle+guard
(cut everything after ? except from q= upto but not including the next and strip https URLs back to http.)
Sanitizing your google URLs also prevents leakage of personal information and easy profiling based on who clicks your URLs. HTH

... not including the next ampersand '&' and strip ...

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Ian Malcolm

Many thanks!! Noted!
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie

    [ ... ]

    Actually, I would not bother. One or two direct URLs -- without the google wrappers -- would be sufficient, I would think.
    It took me a while to find the part about painted patterns working, which was what I was actually looking for. The rest, I knew well enough from personal (but very old now) experience. :-)
    I also do not use Google as my preferred search engine these days. I far prefer DuckDuckGo for the purpose. No tracking of what you visit, no presenting hits closer to you in place of ones which actually have the information you want. (E.g. telling you where to buy something when you are really looking for the manufacturer's web site so you can perhaps download a manual. :-)
    Look at the sort of things which are embedded in that URL:
=====================================================================search?q=western+cattle+guard        This one make sense.
safe=off                Why do I need to know that you have safe mode off?
client=firefox-aurora            Or -- what version of firefox you are using
        And what does the rest of this do that I should care about?
hs=Ehr tbo=u rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial tbm=isch source=univ sa=X eicQUcjfJqnViwKz54C4BQ ved GsQsAQ biw80 bih0> =====================================================================     Maybe if you truncated the URL after the "search" data that would work and not take up nearly as much room.
    <https://www.google.com/search?q=western+cattle+guard
which works fine -- even finding the Snopes page about the supposed "firing of half of the cattle guards in Colorado" legend. :-)

    [ ... ]

    Cotulla, for me. Sort of two thirds of the way from San Antonio to Laredo.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail