What is it? Set 477

Air ratchets are very reasonably priced at all kinds of places . I love mine , cost me a whole 40 bucks at Walmart about 5 or 6 years ago .

Reply to
Snag

j Burns scribbled:

reference

I found a few more similar ones

?hash=item27cf1452f2&item=170977940210&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtrapparently it is some sort of obstruction wrench for working around starters, distributers, etc...

Reply to
usablevirus

Wow! A 3/4" distributor wrench!

The Cornwell looks the same as the Thorsen in the size of the box, the way it's on the same side of the shaft as the handle, and the length of the shaft.

My theory that the Thorsen had two boxes for situations where there was very little room to turn a wrench, has a weakness. If space were that tight, you'd have to flip the wrench approximately 24 times per revolution.

On the Thorsen, the length of the arms looks different. Now I see that the flattened sections look equally long, but the round sections look quite different in length.

I believe the arms are of different lengths. I think it was designed to work on more models than the Cornwell. It would be analogous to a cruciform lug wrench, designed to work on any car an independent mechanic might encounter.

Reply to
j Burns

I've gotten a few emails from people who own similar tools and who say it is a distributor wrench, as well as people posting here in the newsgroups who have said the same, so I went ahead and changed my answer identifying it as such. I'm still waiting to hear back from Thorsen, and will be happy to change my answer if they or anyone else has evidence to the contrary.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2779 is a grid to stop animals walking along the rail line and getting past the fence line . Here is Australia they are commonly called cattle grids.They are used on roads as well as rail lines.
Reply to
Bluey69

2780 - A frog gig. 2783 - Guessing - A brass chain link, for something as a decorative light fixture chain.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

After staring at the picture for about 10 minutes, it became obvious to me (that it was part of the fence!)

Bill

Sorry Bluey for the email message I accidentally directed your way.

Reply to
Bill
2779, one time when I was privileged to drive through Nebraska, I got to see cattle guards, but I don't think I took any pictures. This is close:
if the frame on the tracks does similar function? 2780, something similar was posted, years ago. IIRC, this is an eel fisherman's tool, it clamps onto an eel swimming below the surface of the wayer. It's spring loaded, and looks a bit nasty. 2781, no clue. 2782, some kind of saw. Beyond that, no clue. 2783, probably some kind of rope rigging device. Ask a sailor. 2784. Hope you find out. I'm not much help this week.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I cant imagine a reason for both ends being the same sized, I highly suspect a mismeasurement.

Reply to
Leon

Typically a distributor wrench is not used to actually remove a distributor retaining bolt so much as to simply tighten and loosen the bolt so that the distributor could be rotated. Typically a 90 degree turn of the bolt was more than adequate.

That said that 2778 is not a distributor wrench. A distributor wrench has a handle that runs parallel to the end holding the box end of the wrench. It then makes a 90 degree turn to reach down the length of the distributor cap and distributor then makes another 90 degree bend to reach under the base of the distributor to the distributor shaft and retaining bolt. The distributor wrenches I always used had 3 sections with 2 bends.

Thorsen, the length of the arms looks different. Now I see that

Reply to
Leon

Rob way back when I used distributor wrenches they always had 2 bends and or a bend with an end to place a ratchet which would create the second bend. The distributor wrench has to bend to reach under the distributor and bend again to give you leverage to turn it.

out these wrenches, samples of each.

Leon

LOL Cattle guards are very common in Texas. Mostly used in place of a gate when there may be a number of vehicles that often need to cross a fenced line. Not uncommon at all to see one cross a county road.

Reply to
Leon

Leon

So, maybe that's the assembly at the rail road tracks?

.

LOL Cattle guards are very common in Texas. Mostly used in place of a gate when there may be a number of vehicles that often need to cross a fenced line. Not uncommon at all to see one cross a county road.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought the same thing but if you study the image it looks like there are two different lengths involved (shrug). Would like to have it in my hands to verify though :)

The link that J. Burns posted is very similar but only has one box end:

same site has reference to Thorsen catalogs here:

be worth someone asking if they could check those catalogs for said item...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Absolutely! Trains have to cross those fence lines too. Now in Washington DC they would build a rail road trestle over that barbed wire fence. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

>> Check out these wrenches, samples of each.

different horse. The right leg of the Cornwell starter motor wrench looks functionally identical to Rob's.

  1. 5/8"
  2. 8" shaft
  3. able to fit within a cylinder wall only 3/4" from the hex head
  4. handle bends in same direction as box

The age looks similar to me.

j Burns

The shafts appear to be different lengths. One appears to be 8", like Rob's. The other appears to be 9.5". Perhaps the shorter shaft wouldn't reach the bolts in some starters, but with the longer shaft, there was an obstruction in the way of the handle with some other cars.

Reply to
j Burns

And the tracks would have to be min of 14 foot 6 inches over the ground, so semi trailers with CB antenna could pass under?

.

Absolutely! Trains have to cross those fence lines too. Now in Washington DC they would build a rail road trestle over that barbed wire fence. ;~)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LOL, Yeah! I am not saying what it is but am saying what it isn't. ;~) I think you would be hard pressed snaking that thing to the bottom side of a distributor.

It very well could be a specialized tool as some have indicated, perhaps not offered to the general public. Thorsen has been around a long time and they may have been an automobile manufacturer tool supplier. Dealerships get a highly specialized set of tools every year with the introduction of a new model year. GM used to use Kent tools to manufacture the special tools.

Reply to
Leon