What is it? Set 476

Page 2 of 2

Good answer, you nailed it.
2767 molar extractor for elephant vets. 2768 millstone, for grinding African wheat. 2769 elevating baby scale for pediatricians. 2770 not sure what it is, but I hope the owner has a permit for that. 2771 base for an oil lamp. That, or a lamp globe. 2772 head for old wooden mallet.
I need some help with the fourth one this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2772 wee wooden cask - hopefully full of "medicine" .. that the loyal Saint Bernard delivers via his collar .. I wish. Great series - I'm stumped on them all .. The 4 inch glass container cannot be a lamp shade of any kind - too small & shallow. The shape lends itself more to a lamp oil reservoir .. a small decorative supported lamp. John T.
--- ---

2767)    Hmmm ... I wonder whether this is some form of sliding     joint pliers, or a fixed pivot?
    If the latter, it is for gripping and removing something of     a specific size.
    If the former it can be adjusted down to quite small things, and     the fixed blade could cut something quite close to the surface,     so it might be for cutting off projecting nail heads. (That     groove in the moving jaw has to be to clear something, but I     don't know what.
2768)    This is a millstone. I believe that it is the fixed lower     stone with the channels designed to guide the ground grain     through the center hole.
    The driven upper stone should have a square or otherwise keyed     hole to allow it to be driven by the mechanism -- usually a     water wheel.
2769)    This looks like a support for benchrest firing of a rifle to     allow aiming and firing the rifle without muscular vibrations     influencing the aim point. The forestock rests on the 'Y' with     the adjustable height screw, and the handgrip on the padded     platform behind it. It is adjusted to put the height of the aim     point where you want it, and then the rifle is slid around until     the lateral point of aim is also where you want it, and then the     trigger is very gently squeezed until it fires.
2770)    This is an interesting object. It bends the point of aim     downward (with the mirror). I'm not sure whether that is a     half-silvered mirror, and thus allows you to see something in     line with the frame or not.
    At a guess -- it is captive on some kind of video shooting game,     or perhaps a psychologist's test apparatus.
    However -- I don't see that the trigger actually does anything,     unless there is something missing -- perhaps part of the frame     to which it is attached by the vertical wand.
2771)    Looks sort of like the fuel reservoir for an oil lamp, missing     whatever should hold the wick.
2772)    Hammer head for a carnival "ring the bell and win a prize"     game? I don't know whether the other face is better for     striking than the visible one. But it looks too lightweight to     do anything serious with.
    Or could it be a dispenser for something like Bingo balls or     some other form of game token.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

My best guess is that 2770 is a device for training to use a crossbow pistol. The Swiss are big into crossbows. By keeping the image of the pendulum round, you know the device is level left/right, and is aimed up at a slight angle determined by the mirror. The trigger does not do anything except get you used pulling on the long hard trigger of a crossbow with out moving the aim point or changing the left/right roll angle.
No luck yet on the 2770 (the pistol shaped tool), some progress was made on the company logo but the device is still unidentified. More information and the rest of the answers can be seen at the link below:
Hopefully we'll get an answer for 2770 in the coming weeks.
Rob
On 1/18/13 4:56 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2770: Hammerle designs and installs machinery for automated manufacturing. If they used a lot of tubing of the same diameter, this tool could clamp to the top of a tube so that one worker could hold it vertical while another welded it in place. If you had light coming from below the tube, you could keep the pendulum centered, like aiming a rifle with a peep sight.
Somebody suggested that it was to align and drop a cylinder. My idea comes from that suggestion, but I think you'd pull the trigger to release the tool and move to the next tube.

I just added your theory to my list of possible answers, I'm still 50/50 on whether it is for holding a cylinder for some reason or if it's for pistol practice. Today I sent two more emails to companies in Europe, one named Hammerli, and the other Hammerle. The first is an arms company and the second makes roll leveling machines. Seems like there should be a similar tool on the web but so far I haven't found any.
On 1/19/13 5:55 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I see drawbacks to my theory. I envisioned tubes at least a couple of feet long. In that case, a longer pendulum would work better. Would somebody need to set 4" tubes vertical? Also, without damping, it would be slow to use.
says...

2770 looks like a quality control device to eyeball a hollow manufactured item for centeredness, roundness and smoothness.
The light will be outside the gun with the shield as a diffuser and to remove other reflections. The mirror centers the image of the pin in the sight. The pin swings which would give one a shifting reflection to show up irregularities. The top of the trigger sits proud of the platform and serves as a quick clamp and bolt/carefully shaped washer holding the the spring/piston assembly below would also serve as a key to hold the item being examined in precise alignment.
My wildest guess would have something to do with laser mirrors... but it seems more likely it has something to do with a machine part.