What is it? Set 473

Page 2 of 2

Cheers Rob.

2749)    I'll bet that the 'approximately 36" diameter' is actually     38.1972", which would make the circumference precisely 10 feet.     It is to be rolled along with a handle coming out from the hub,     and the counter telling how far it has rolled. 36" would come     out to be 2.872 meters circumference, so that is unlikely. And     precisely three meters circumference would be 37.59" diameter,     and would be awkward to read.
    The second photo is a bit hard to read (too much jpeg     compression), but I'll bet that the counter there has one wheel     which completes a full turn with the wheel, thus its 0-9 display     will display feet.
2750)    Only one view makes it more difficult to identify, but I     *think* that the part in the background is a square hollow     tube, and that it works by sliding on a square shaft with teeth     on both sides, and acts as a jack (minus some other parts.
2751)    Looks sort of like a hand from a tower clock, intended to point     out the day of the month at a guess. It seems to have been     relocated into an airplane hanger or something of the sort.
2752)    Perhaps a tool for bending sheet metal into a cylindrical form,     with the extra curved arms serving as some sort of guide?
2753)    Looks like a tool to serve as a guide for a knife blade, and to     split the skin of an ex critter along the cut. I say an ex     critter instead of a patient, because I can't see wood handles     as being sterilizable in an operating room.
2754)    Hmm ... no scale given. At first, I was thinking that these     were rather small models, but the two glass objects in the     background look like bell jars, used for containing vacuum (they     are set on a cast iron or steel plate with a greased surface,     (perhaps) a rubber rim, and a hole in the middle through which     the air is evacuated. If these are normal scale, I would     expect the larger of the two to be close to 12" diameter or a     bit more.
    No real clue what the two boxes with the levers are for, but I     think that the "small parts" in the foreground are acccessories     to the boxes. The levers almost look like triggers upside down.
    The small parts *look* like they are only about an inch and a     half long, but that is way out of scale with the rest.
    It looks as though the one with the fork fits into the hole in     the nearer one and is secured by the screw (which also looks     rather small).
    It will be interesting to discover what these actually are, and     what the actual scale is.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

It may be that the wheel indicates rods:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_%28unit%29>.
One rod is 16.5 feet, so the wheel would be 63.0254 inches in diameter.
Joe Gwinn

This length is correct, 1-1/2" or maybe just a little longer.

I agree that it looks like they fit together.

On the answer page I have a link to a scarificator set with a small brass ring torch, and I've seen a few other sets with a torch without the ring, these torches are the only items that I've found that resemble the items in my photos. I contacted five different scarificator collectors and none of them recognized the small brass parts, some suggested they were not actually part of the bleeder set.
Rob

    O.K. So my estimate of the size of the glass parts was wrong. Not bell jars, but rather something similar to cap over a cut to collect blood.
    At least this explains the trigger like protrusions on the devices.

    And -- of course -- no physical access to verify that.

    Or -- they are parts which go inside the scarificators and they have never dared disassemble their collection's occupants.
    But -- they *could* have been something simply stored in the same box with the parts of someone's collection -- for lack of someplace else more appropriate to store them.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail