What is it? Set 470

This week's set of items has been posted:

Rob H.

2731: How about a hay feeder? Goats are bad about flinging it, stepping on it, and then ignoring it. 2735: cog dollar
Reply to
j Burns

Tiger or Lion.

Reply to
David B
2731, bin for holding fabric scraps, at a factory 2732, valve wrenches for steam boilers 2733, pipe patches for steam boiler tubes 2734, part of modern play structure 2735, collar for fighting dogs 2736, maybe book binding clamp?

.

Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

They were often used to protect dogs guarding flocks from wolves.

Reply to
j Burns

Correct, it's a wolf collar for a working dog.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, but it is for use on a farm.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know for sure what these are, but I agree that they look like they go around a pipe to temporarily stop a leak.

Reply to
Rob H.

That was a SWAG, I have no knowledge of those.

.

I don't know for sure what these are, but I agree that they look like they go around a pipe to temporarily stop a leak.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

if you will notice the device opens at the bottom left. The hooks are not closed like the others. But I think this is part of a machine that moves something or shreds something.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Hi Rob,

I believe those are for pouring lead around old cast iron soil pipes. Note how they form a "funnel" where they join together.

You posted a similar item awhile back. It was just the clamp missing its "rope" part which was used instead of the rubber like these.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

You might be correct but I couldn't find any similar ones on the web, I remember posting some kind of pipe clamp but I don't remember how long ago that was or exactly which number. The answers for the other five items for this week can be seen here:

Rob H.

There used to be a similar shop in Santa Monica CA called 'Old Tools'

Far as I can tell from the video, Old Tools might have been a bit larger... and the owner was a real neat freak... the place was well organized and nearly spotless... and a bit pricy as well.

More here:

photos don't really do the place justice.

After Old Tools closed, the swap meets were taken over by Anderson Plywood a few miles away in Culver City CA, and continue 4 times a year to this day.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

It was in set 448, item #2602. "2602. A device for filling pipe joints, patent number 948,686.

When I get a minute or two I'll see if I can find anything like the ones you posted this week :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Looks like it was a cool shop, too bad it closed, I would like to attend the swap meets but I don't live in the area.

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks, you have a good memory!

I still haven't been able to find any others like the current one on my site.

Reply to
Rob H.

them soon.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Take a look at this patent:

pretty close to me...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Great job Leon! I think you nailed it, I'll update my answer in the next day or two since I'm heading out right now and won't be home much. I will also send the patent to the museum where I took the photos.

Reply to
Rob H.