What is it? Set 470

This week's set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
On 12/6/12 4:09 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2731: How about a hay feeder? Goats are bad about flinging it, stepping on it, and then ignoring it.
2735: cog dollar

Tiger or Lion.

Nope, but it is for use on a farm.

2731, bin for holding fabric scraps, at a factory 2732, valve wrenches for steam boilers 2733, pipe patches for steam boiler tubes 2734, part of modern play structure 2735, collar for fighting dogs 2736, maybe book binding clamp?
This week's set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

I don't know for sure what these are, but I agree that they look like they go around a pipe to temporarily stop a leak.

That was a SWAG, I have no knowledge of those.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 16:05:49 -0500
<snip>

Hi Rob,
I believe those are for pouring lead around old cast iron soil pipes. Note how they form a "funnel" where they join together.
You posted a similar item awhile back. It was just the clamp missing its "rope" part which was used instead of the rubber like these.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

You might be correct but I couldn't find any similar ones on the web, I remember posting some kind of pipe clamp but I don't remember how long ago that was or exactly which number. The answers for the other five items for this week can be seen here:

Far as the Liberty Tool Video video goes:
There used to be a similar shop in Santa Monica CA called 'Old Tools'
Far as I can tell from the video, Old Tools might have been a bit larger... and the owner was a real neat freak... the place was well organized and nearly spotless... and a bit pricy as well.
More here:
http://www.toolswapusa.com/OldTools90s.htm
The photos don't really do the place justice.
After Old Tools closed, the swap meets were taken over by Anderson Plywood a few miles away in Culver City CA, and continue 4 times a year to this day.
Erik

Looks like it was a cool shop, too bad it closed, I would like to attend the swap meets but I don't live in the area.
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 18:50:37 -0500

<snip>
It was in set 448, item #2602. "2602. A device for filling pipe joints, patent number 948,686.
When I get a minute or two I'll see if I can find anything like the ones you posted this week :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks, you have a good memory!

I still haven't been able to find any others like the current one on my site.
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 18:27:13 -0500

Hi Rob,
Take a look at this patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/US2501484
Looks pretty close to me...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Great job Leon! I think you nailed it, I'll update my answer in the next day or two since I'm heading out right now and won't be home much. I will also send the patent to the museum where I took the photos.
2735 I'm intrigued by this. People have suggested that this is an animal collar or that it goes around a tree. What I don't see is a way to open or close it to fasten it around something. I doubt that the blacksmith fabricated it in place. I also doubt that it was made and then the animal or tree grew into it. That leaves me imagining someone holding down a large fighting animal while forcing this around its head to its neck.
On 12/6/2012 4:09 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 12/6/12 11:53 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

They were often used to protect dogs guarding flocks from wolves.

Correct, it's a wolf collar for a working dog.
On 12/6/2012 11:53 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

if you will notice the device opens at the bottom left. The hooks are not closed like the others. But I think this is part of a machine that moves something or shreds something.
Rob H. wrote:

2735. Don't know what it is. But I expect to see all the goth kids wearing them soon.