What is it? Set 467

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 14:47:51 -0500

The ferrules are slightly different between the two. I wondered at first if they were the same tool or not :)
The latest version seems to have a bit of cloth or something stuck in between the cutter and handle. Might provide some clue if the current owner can't account for it being there...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 11/17/12 2:47 PM, Rob H. wrote:

With the handle at that angle, it seems to me it would be awkward to drag along as a scribe. I wonder if it was made to be rocked, perhaps to make a slit at a certain spot.

Yes, I was also thinking it was for cutting leather but the two outer pieces seem better suited to use with a plank of wood. Though if it is a scribe I don't know why there is a blade and not just a nail-like marker. I just added the leather cutter theory to my answer for this one.

I don't see why it has two sides. Unless you have very nicely planed wood indeed it's either going to be a bit sloppy or bind on a wide bit. Mortise marker gauges are "one sided" and I can't see why this isn't.
Looking at the photos the guides seem to be round not straight sided - I wonder if they were intended to run in grooves on some sort of jig that's been lost.
On 11/15/12 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2717: Well, red can mean hydrogen and yellow chlorine. Patent #4070861 was for a reactor using hydrogen and chlorine for propulsion or electrical generation. Oxygen, perhaps air, was added to control the reaction.
2718: an 18-inch 7342 and an 18-inch 7343.