What is it? Set 467

the answers have been posted here:

#633) looks to be the same as this weeks #2715.

like it was solved then either...

I knew I had seen it before, just not in a catalog which would tell me what it was for :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

You have a good memory! Yes, I knew I had posted it before and was hoping that posting another one might finally get an answer. Sometimes I get answers weeks, months or years after I first post an item, so I'm thinking we'll get it identified eventually.

Reply to
Rob H.

The ferrules are slightly different between the two. I wondered at first if they were the same tool or not :)

The latest version seems to have a bit of cloth or something stuck in between the cutter and handle. Might provide some clue if the current owner can't account for it being there...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

With the handle at that angle, it seems to me it would be awkward to drag along as a scribe. I wonder if it was made to be rocked, perhaps to make a slit at a certain spot.

Reply to
j Burns

Yes, I was also thinking it was for cutting leather but the two outer pieces seem better suited to use with a plank of wood. Though if it is a scribe I don't know why there is a blade and not just a nail-like marker. I just added the leather cutter theory to my answer for this one.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't see why it has two sides. Unless you have very nicely planed wood indeed it's either going to be a bit sloppy or bind on a wide bit. Mortise marker gauges are "one sided" and I can't see why this isn't.

Looking at the photos the guides seem to be round not straight sided - I wonder if they were intended to run in grooves on some sort of jig that's been lost.

Reply to
Dr Nick