What is it? Set 466

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

That makes it the burner of a kerosene or gasoline wick-style stove.

The wick does not make it out the top, it's just at the mere bottom of the double-walled "chimney". The gasses from vaporizing the fuel emit from the holes, and convection up through the large internal bore adds oxygen. The flames work right at the holes, and keep the whole affair hot enough to keep vaporizing fuel from the top of the wick.

I used them in Viet Nam.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA105AC798B59Flloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

I should have added that some work "backwards". The flames are on the inside between the two walls, air coming in from the big middle bore, and heat coming out the gap between the tubes. Some emit flame from both sides of the tubes.

It was (maybe still is) a common cookstove for remote kitchens and military field kitchens. I've seen vids of some oriental folks still using them.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The toothed sections could also be part of an extender, A number of long ram botle jacks are available with threaded extenders. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

thread is cross-posted.

2707) Looking at the clamps at the bottom, I would say that it is designed to grip a post -- square or round, depending on the clamp faces, and then to cut away material surrounding the center, producing a peg on the end. The diameter of the peg is defined by the hole and the position of the plane blade shown in "Fig 3" of the drawing.

This example in the photos is missing the clamp frame which slides over the bottom.

Probably for making cross-bars for chairs and the like.

I'm not quite sure what the clamp at the top is for. Perhaps for holding an alternate cutter -- or perhaps for holding a container of glue if it is to applied immediately to the peg.

2708) An unusually tall hydraulic jack, with what looks like a safety sleeve (the half-cylinder with the teeth) to hold it at a given height even if the hydraulics leak.

Given the height, I suspect that it was for something like supporting a house while posts are replaced. Is that height as photographed, collapsed, or fully extended?

I would like to see a side photograph of the details of how the teeth lock onto the housing. I expect that to be near the bottom of the teeth as photographed.

Anyway -- to deal with the "how it worked" question mentioned, like all common hydraulic jacks, it is elevated by a pipe stuck into the socket on the bottom, and it is lowered by slipping the pipe over the 'T' just below and to the left of the jack rod socket. (The rod typically has a pair of slots 180 degrees apart to slip over the crossbar of the 'T' and to allow turning it.

Hmm ... maybe for working on the trailer of a tractor-trailer rig? Either for changing tires at the back, or for lifting it clear of the "fifth wheel" plate if things are giving problems?

2709) An unusually small wood plane -- likely for cutting grooves in the wood.

Since it appears to be made from bent up sheet metal, I suspect that it is not very precise, and may be for something like shaving splinters off the corners of boards.

2710) Trigger guard for a firearm -- likely something like a muzzle-loading flintlock or cap and ball firearm. I guess that it could even be for something like a crossbow.

It is interesting how this attaches to the stock. Is there another projection near the front (right) end?

2711) I *think* that this may be a wick holder and adjuster for something like a kerosene (also called "coal oil") fired water heater for a tank beside the bathtub. (I grew up with one of these in South Texas. A very slow way to get hot water for a bath.)

Anyway -- the wick was a cylinder, and the height is adjusted by the knob to the right. The fitting to the lower left is likely connected by a hose to the tank of kerosene.

Just how big is this device, anyway? The one which I remember would have been about three to four inches in diameter.

2712) Based on the color, it is some kind of military device (real or fake).

I don't recognize the language in the molded markings. Various punctuation marks, some of which are familiar and some not.

Perhaps something to be left powered by batteries to broadcast signs of someone going past?

Perhaps something intended to record or broadcast the angle of tilt around an axis going through the center of the round ridge?

More views would help (maybe).

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

always -- because this thread is cross-posted.}

You may as well stop stating this, Don, it makes no sense at all because you have cross-posted it too! ;>)} It makes no difference in what group you read it, no one can tell which group you posted it from.... and no one really cares.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

It's an older bumper jack. There should be a saddle that locks into the grooves on the jack and fits into the notch on the older steel bumpers.

Steve W.

Everyone's an editor.

So much advice for Don.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Miss on you pister you're not so muckin fuch and futhermore, nobody shives a git.

Reply to
grmiller

Trigger guard is correct, I shot the photo at a museum but they didn't say what kind of gun if was from. They have all been correctly identified this week, the answers have been posted here:

Rob H.

I'm not sure, just the one photo was sent.

The photos on the links show the missing part, but I don't think they show how the teeth lock, if it was mine I'd take a some photos for you.

Not that I know of, I shot the photo a while ago and don't remember seeing a second one.

I just found out the size, as I also posted on the answer page, it's 3-3/8" diameter.

It was behind glass at a museum so only one view was available.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from my PC in the living room, as always.

Real brain challenges, as usual. The adjustable round wick, a stove instead of a lamp. I was close on a couple of them.Thanks for the effort you put forth.

.

They have all been correctly identified this week, the answers have been posted here:

Stormin Mormon

I didn't receive an email from you, and even if I had it wouldn't have been a big deal, it happens maybe a few times a year.

Reply to
Rob H.