What is it? Set 466

Page 2 of 2

I didn't receive an email from you, and even if I had it wouldn't have been a big deal, it happens maybe a few times a year.
On 11/8/2012 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

#2710, A handle on a sword?
Bill

2709
Some sort of sharpener. Possibly for artists charcoal/pencil/quill etc. The wheel looks much like that used in can openers, before the days of ring-pulls.

I am going to guess 2712 is a Vietnamese crystal radio that is held up to the ear.

I see now it was actually a US made radio dropped on Vietnam during the war http://www.psywarrior.com/GiftsFromAbove.html
Probably not crystal as I first supposed since one of the labels on the switch means "shutdown" (google does not translate the other label)
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:10:47 -0800, "anorton"

Thanks! Absolutely fascinating site. Some of which I knew about..but much..much I wasnt aware of.
Gunner
-- ""

Thanks, that's a good link, I'll use it when I post my answer.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always -- because this thread is cross-posted.
2707)    Looking at the clamps at the bottom, I would say that it is     designed to grip a post -- square or round, depending on the     clamp faces, and then to cut away material surrounding the     center, producing a peg on the end. The diameter of the peg is     defined by the hole and the position of the plane blade shown in     "Fig 3" of the drawing.
    This example in the photos is missing the clamp frame which     slides over the bottom.
    Probably for making cross-bars for chairs and the like.
    I'm not quite sure what the clamp at the top is for. Perhaps     for holding an alternate cutter -- or perhaps for holding a     container of glue if it is to applied immediately to the peg.
2708)    An unusually tall hydraulic jack, with what looks like a safety     sleeve (the half-cylinder with the teeth) to hold it at a given     height even if the hydraulics leak.
    Given the height, I suspect that it was for something like     supporting a house while posts are replaced. Is that height as     photographed, collapsed, or fully extended?
    I would like to see a side photograph of the details of how the     teeth lock onto the housing. I expect that to be near the     bottom of the teeth as photographed.
    Anyway -- to deal with the "how it worked" question mentioned,     like all common hydraulic jacks, it is elevated by a pipe stuck     into the socket on the bottom, and it is lowered by slipping the     pipe over the 'T' just below and to the left of the jack rod     socket. (The rod typically has a pair of slots 180 degrees     apart to slip over the crossbar of the 'T' and to allow turning     it.
    Hmm ... maybe for working on the trailer of a tractor-trailer     rig? Either for changing tires at the back, or for lifting it     clear of the "fifth wheel" plate if things are giving problems?
2709)    An unusually small wood plane -- likely for cutting grooves in     the wood.
    Since it appears to be made from bent up sheet metal, I suspect     that it is not very precise, and may be for something like     shaving splinters off the corners of boards.
2710)    Trigger guard for a firearm -- likely something like a     muzzle-loading flintlock or cap and ball firearm. I guess that     it could even be for something like a crossbow.
    It is interesting how this attaches to the stock. Is there     another projection near the front (right) end?
2711)    I *think* that this may be a wick holder and adjuster for     something like a kerosene (also called "coal oil") fired water     heater for a tank beside the bathtub. (I grew up with one of     these in South Texas. A very slow way to get hot water for a     bath.)
    Anyway -- the wick was a cylinder, and the height is adjusted     by the knob to the right. The fitting to the lower left is     likely connected by a hose to the tank of kerosene.
    Just how big is this device, anyway? The one which I remember     would have been about three to four inches in diameter.
2712)    Based on the color, it is some kind of military device (real     or fake).
    I don't recognize the language in the molded markings. Various     punctuation marks, some of which are familiar and some not.
    Perhaps something to be left powered by batteries to broadcast     signs of someone going past?
    Perhaps something intended to record or broadcast the angle of     tilt around an axis going through the center of the round ridge?
    More views would help (maybe).
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" > On 2012-11-08, Rob H. <> wrote:

always -- because this thread is cross-posted.}
You may as well stop stating this, Don, it makes no sense at all because you have cross-posted it too! ;>)} It makes no difference in what group you read it, no one can tell which group you posted it from.... and no one really cares.

Everyone's an editor.
So much advice for Don.
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:44:32 -0500, "Phil Kangas"

you're not so muckin fuch and futhermore, nobody shives a git.
--
Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

I'm not sure, just the one photo was sent.

The photos on the links show the missing part, but I don't think they show how the teeth lock, if it was mine I'd take a some photos for you.

Not that I know of, I shot the photo a while ago and don't remember seeing a second one.

I just found out the size, as I also posted on the answer page, it's 3-3/8" diameter.

It was behind glass at a museum so only one view was available.
Rob