This week's set has been posted:

Rob H.

2712 Scales?
Reply to
F Murtz

2710 Trigger guard?
Reply to
F Murtz
2707, maybe for inserting corks in wine bottles? 2708, looks a lot like a bottle jack, except for the size. 2709, maybe a block plane? 2710, decorative door handle. 2711, probably adjustable wick for an oil lamp. 2712, maybe a tweeter speaker?

.

Stormin Mormon

2707 Press for table leg caps or inserts 2708 bottle jack

2709 Plane

2710 Trigger guard

2711 old chimney flue

2712 o-ring sitting on a box

Robert

Reply to
Robert
2709 Pencil Sharpener

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck

#2707 A tool to compress a spring? Maybe on a railroad car?

Bill

Rob, I'm sorry for accidentally sending you a copy of this directly (it was an accident).

Reply to
Bill

#2710, A handle on a sword?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2709

Some sort of sharpener. Possibly for artists charcoal/pencil/quill etc. The wheel looks much like that used in can openers, before the days of ring-pulls.

Reply to
Nick

I am going to guess 2712 is a Vietnamese crystal radio that is held up to the ear.

Reply to
anorton

I see now it was actually a US made radio dropped on Vietnam during the war

not crystal as I first supposed since one of the labels on the switch means "shutdown" (google does not translate the other label)

Reply to
anorton

Thanks! Absolutely fascinating site. Some of which I knew about..but much..much I wasnt aware of.

Gunner

-- ""The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That?s why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd.

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don?t have a clue as to political reality. What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard workers and convince them that they should support social programs that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you want.

The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn?t have a clue than there were Republicans." James Carvell, DNC operative

Reply to
Gunner

It's definitely a jack but I don't think it's a bottle jack.

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks, that's a good link, I'll use it when I post my answer.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Rob, it's most certainly a bottle jack. It's a "long ram" bottle jack. Common as hens' eggs (not teeth).

However, that doesn't disclose the purpose of the rachet-like attachment at the top -- which I suppose is for load locking, so it won't sag once the height has been established. I think there may be a part missing.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Must be for a very large bottle?

.

It's definitely a jack but I don't think it's a bottle jack.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree w/ Lloyd, Rob--it's a bt

Reply to
dpb

It is a hydraulic jack of the long-ram type. "Bottle jack" to my knowledge is at least typically applied to those of roughly the bottle size but the principle is the same for this one.

I agree w/ Lloyd the ratchet is part of a locking mechanism the other portion of which isn't shown. I would guess the original purpose was as a farm equipment or similar application for the high lift...think of the ubiquitous mechanical ones of roughly same size for the purpose...

If it was supplied w/ some specific piece of equipment, that's long since gone unless there's a vendor mark on it somewhere. The green looks like _could_ be old Oliver green.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ok, I'll take your word for it, it didn't look like the bottle jacks that I saw when I searched the term. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know what this one is but I forgot to include this description from the owner: "Its double walled, brass I think. The knob has No 893 stamped into it. It has an annular ring with small holes in the ID of the thru bore. It was was found in an old dumpsite from the gold rush era, in El Dorado County, Ca."

Reply to
Rob H.