What is it? Set 466

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

F Murtz wrote:

Trigger guard is correct, I shot the photo at a museum but they didn't say what kind of gun if was from. They have all been correctly identified this week, the answers have been posted here:
Posting from my PC in the living room, as always.
Real brain challenges, as usual. The adjustable round wick, a stove instead of a lamp. I was close on a couple of them.Thanks for the effort you put forth.
They have all been correctly identified this week, the answers have been posted here:
2707, maybe for inserting corks in wine bottles? 2708, looks a lot like a bottle jack, except for the size. 2709, maybe a block plane? 2710, decorative door handle. 2711, probably adjustable wick for an oil lamp. 2712, maybe a tweeter speaker?
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

It's definitely a jack but I don't think it's a bottle jack.

Rob, it's most certainly a bottle jack. It's a "long ram" bottle jack. Common as hens' eggs (not teeth).
However, that doesn't disclose the purpose of the rachet-like attachment at the top -- which I suppose is for load locking, so it won't sag once the height has been established. I think there may be a part missing.
LLoyd

Ok, I'll take your word for it, it didn't look like the bottle jacks that I saw when I searched the term. Thanks
Must be for a very large bottle?

It's definitely a jack but I don't think it's a bottle jack.
On 11/8/2012 2:50 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I agree w/ Lloyd, Rob--it's a bt
On 11/8/2012 2:50 PM, Rob H. wrote:

It is a hydraulic jack of the long-ram type. "Bottle jack" to my knowledge is at least typically applied to those of roughly the bottle size but the principle is the same for this one.
I agree w/ Lloyd the ratchet is part of a locking mechanism the other portion of which isn't shown. I would guess the original purpose was as a farm equipment or similar application for the high lift...think of the ubiquitous mechanical ones of roughly same size for the purpose...
If it was supplied w/ some specific piece of equipment, that's long since gone unless there's a vendor mark on it somewhere. The green looks like _could_ be old Oliver green.

The toothed sections could also be part of an extender, A number of long ram botle jacks are available with threaded extenders. Kerry
Rob H. wrote:

It's an older bumper jack. There should be a saddle that locks into the grooves on the jack and fits into the notch on the older steel bumpers.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Automobile-Truck-Hydraulic-Bumper-Jack-/140734986009?nma=true&si=zn2sSWCHq5oSrp4yJASsbx5o4OU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
--
Steve W.

2707 Press for table leg caps or inserts
2708 bottle jack
2709 Plane
2710 Trigger guard
2711 old chimney flue
2712 o-ring sitting on a box
Robert
2709 Pencil Sharpener
Crazy Ed

I don't know what this one is but I forgot to include this description from the owner: "Its double walled, brass I think. The knob has No 893 stamped into it. It has an annular ring with small holes in the ID of the thru bore. It was was found in an old dumpsite from the gold rush era, in El Dorado County, Ca."

That makes it the burner of a kerosene or gasoline wick-style stove.
The wick does not make it out the top, it's just at the mere bottom of the double-walled "chimney". The gasses from vaporizing the fuel emit from the holes, and convection up through the large internal bore adds oxygen. The flames work right at the holes, and keep the whole affair hot enough to keep vaporizing fuel from the top of the wick.
I used them in Viet Nam.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> fired this volley in

I should have added that some work "backwards". The flames are on the inside between the two walls, air coming in from the big middle bore, and heat coming out the gap between the tubes. Some emit flame from both sides of the tubes.
It was (maybe still is) a common cookstove for remote kitchens and military field kitchens. I've seen vids of some oriental folks still using them.
LLoyd

#2707 A tool to compress a spring? Maybe on a railroad car?
Bill
Rob, I'm sorry for accidentally sending you a copy of this directly (it was an accident).