What is it? Set 465

I need some help with the second and fourth items this week:

Rob H.

lektric dan

Rope making machine.

Reply to
DanG

2702: A tape 3/4" wide could be fed under the hinge and along the channel. Now if you close the lid and pull from the hinge end, the tape won't slide easily because the tooth will keep it bent against the corner. If you pull the tape from the tooth end, the tooth will lift, allowing the tape to slide easily.

So it could be a one-way brake for a tape. How about the kind of ribbon used to make bows? If the person making bows threaded the ribbon through this weight instead of pulling it directly from the spool, the end would stay put instead of "recoiling" when he pulled out a length and cut it off.

Reply to
J Burns

2701) Hmm ... basket for collecting something like strawberries on a hillside? Stick the spikes into the hillside to keep the basket in place? 2702) A tool to make an L-shaped bend in the end of a narrow strip of thin metal? (Not sure what for -- but that is the only thing which makes sense to me. I was thinking of it for making the cut and the clamped end of a Clarinet reed or the like, but the projection is not sharp enough for that to be likely. 2703) Not sure what it is is to make, but it is an accessory to an anvil. The square projection on the bottom goes into the "Hardie hole" on an anvil. (Or is the square one the "Prichard hole"?

At a guess, it is a chisel mounted relative to a guide, so you can cut a strip of steel to a fixed width.

2704) I think that it has been re-purposed at some time. The part on the right (except for the graph held in it) looks like it is to crank film through to view or project multipile images.

Hmm ... then again -- especially given the shutter with two holes in the last images but one -- it might be for testing eyes to fit glasses.

2705) Perhaps for making a row of holes in thin sheet metal, and perhaps then folding over the punched metal to join to a second sheet?

Or perhaps for making holes at a constant spacing to allow lacing the ends of a wide leather belt together to make a continuous drive belt for machine tools.

2706) A tool for winding twine or small rope.

Do all the hooks turn in the same direction when the crank is turned, or do alternate ones turn in the opposite direction?

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well sounds like it would work for that, not sure if it's right or not but hopefully we'll get an answer for it and find out. Text on this device is a man's name and then the word stainless, it was purchased at an estate sale where there were a lot of cigar items and a large number of vintage medical tools.

Reply to
Rob H.

I was also thinking it might be an optician's device but I can't find another one like it one the web.

I took the photos over a month ago and don't remember if the hooks turn in the same direction or not. I'll ask the owner of the device and will report what he says.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Ah, re-purposed! In WWII, there were three USAAF training bases in western Iowa. I wonder if this was a training device for a bomber crewman. Navigator? Gunner? It becomes obsolete and a farmer gets it.

Reply to
J Burns

A one-handed postage-stamp dispenser! Most take two hands.

The standard size for a US stamp is 3/4 x 7/8". The groove is about

3/4" wide.

It appears that the whole thing weighs about a pound, to keep it from sliding when you pull. The lid appears to weigh about 5 ounces, half of which would weigh on the end with the tooth.

The dispenser would have to be a couple of inches above your desk top so you could tear off a stamp by pulling down. It would sit on a little box containing stamps. One roll would feed the hinge end (back) of the dispenser.

The tooth is about 1/6" long. As the dispenser sits ready, the first stamp would extend perhaps 1/4" below the tooth. The weld on the back of the tooth would press the stamp against the edge of the base with about 2.5 ounces. Because the lid would hold the strip of stamps flat against the bottom of the groove, the the stamp would be bent fairly sharply over the edge of the base.

If you lift the end of the stamp, it lifts the tooth and the bend in the stamp relaxes, allowing it to slide. When the perforation is past the tooth, you pull downward. The lid comes down, squeezing the second stamp around the corner. You rip off the first stamp. The second stamp is ready to grab.

Ripping off a stamp with one hand allows you to keep smoking your cigar. When colleagues admire the workmanship of your dispenser, you show them your name.

Reply to
J Burns

Good answer, this is correct. No luck yet on the two mystery items but I have a video on the answer page that shows a rope maker in use:

Rob H.

Good answer, this is correct. No luck yet on the two mystery items but I have a video on the answer page that shows a rope maker in use:

2702: Do they still sell lickable postage stamps in rolls? It wouldn't work with modern stamps, sold on a backing strip.

If a roll of lickable stamps is not available, the owner could test it with a strip of paper cut to the right width. I think a roll was 7/8" wide.

If he pulls out on the end of the strip, I think it will slide past the rounded tooth. If he pulls down, I think the lid will act as a brake by bending the paper sharply. This would allow the user to tear off the first stamp at the perforation using only one hand.

Reply to
J Burns

I heard back from the owner of it, he said they all turn in the same direction. Also, I just changed my answer for 2703 from trip hammer to swedge creaser based someone's comment and further research.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know if they still sell stamps in rolls or not, but I'll send your answer to the owner along with a few of these other guesses:

-for bending a small piece of metal

-prying off can lids

-opening a pocket knife blade

Reply to
Rob H.

#2702 reminds me of a "reed cutter" for a musical instrument.

Google images on reed cutter and you may see the similarity--maybe not.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks. That doesn't make much difference in it being a rope maker, though it might be for braided rope with half the hooks counter-rotating -- and would require quite a bit of extra hand operations too.

O.K. Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I like this idea but I haven't been able to find one like it yet.

Reply to
Rob H.

There was a reed cutter in a recent set -- perhaps just the last one. This one does not have a sharp enough edge on the movable part to work for reeds in my opinion.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes, maybe that's why it occrured to me (reed cutter being in a recent set). My final guess is a hinge for something heavy duty (like a safe).

Reply to
Bill

Why do you think anyone gives a flying f*ck about where you are posting from and what bizarre anal retentive mental malady requires you to start every answer in here with those same words? Is it some sort of OCD thing like washing ones hands fifty times a day or do you think the sun might not rise next morning if you don't start every post with that particular sentence?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Posting from my desk top PC, as always.

You never know, might be OCD.

.

Why do you think anyone gives a flying f*ck about where you are posting from and what bizarre anal retentive mental malady requires you to start every answer in here with those same words? Is it some sort of OCD thing like washing ones hands fifty times a day or do you think the sun might not rise next morning if you don't start every post with that particular sentence?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon