What is it? Set 463

Page 1 of 2
Today's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2690: Those are for picking up nuts and bolts etc you've dropped somewhere inaccessible.
2692: Rifle barrel
2694: For carrying those big round hay bales.
--
Dave Baker

Dave Baker wrote:

Looks too short for a rifle , I'd say it's a pistol barrel . Most likely a .45 ACP . The angle of the photo hides the lug .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Nope, not a .45
says...

Or a logo from a James Bond movie.

Sounds like a good answer but I haven't found any like it on the web

Close
Partially correct
2689 incense holder for some really totally stoned dudes 2690, probably some picker uppers for a specialized industry. Beyond that, no ideas. 2691, yah got me chief. Might be a valve shut off tool, for some kind of valve? 2692. I know what you're thinking, punk. Was it five shots, or was it six? Now, the question you have to ask yourself. Are you feeling lucky, today? Punk? 2693, part of a gate latch, for a very large gate. 2694. Scoop for moving round bales of hay.
Today's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote the following on 10/18/2012 4:13 AM (ET):

2689 - For cutting circles for sawing in wood.
2690 - Clamps or tweezers. Slide the fat parts down to close the points for gripping.
2692 - rifling in a gun barrel.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote the following on 10/18/2012 8:24 AM (ET):

Ooops, meant 'marking' instead of cutting.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 10/18/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2690 For helping to make *wings* in fly tying--at least that's what the first and third tools look like to me. After 2 suitable pieces of feather are attached to the hook (those preferably taken from matched wings), one of these would grip the pair of feathers and the rest would be burnt off with a match leaving what looks like a pair of insect wings. However, I reserve the right to be entirely mistaken.
Bill
On 10/18/2012 9:52 AM, Bill wrote:

This shows the tools I was thinking of: http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part187.php
Maybe the posted ones are merely for picking things up....
"Rob H." wrote in message
Today's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2689 Cribbage board?
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 04:13:17 -0400

Item 2693 is an automatic hitch for wagons. When set you can just push/back into the wagon and it automatically grabs the pin. Add a rope to the trip lever and the wagon can be released without having to get down and pull the pin.
I assume you have the patent number already? If not I'll post it...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Correct. Yes, I have the patent for it but thanks for the offer.
2690 Over 60 years ago, when repairing a radio, from time-to-time, it was necessary to get a nut into a difficult position to get a screw started from the other side of a panel. Tools like these were used by very well-equipped people. I used a stick with gum, wax or tape.
On 10/18/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always
2689)    Looks like a tool for drawing (scribing) multiple parallel     lines on wood. The three rows have three different step     increments (I can't tell what size they are). So either a     square stop pin goes in the hole -- or more likely a T-head is     pinned to the holes by a square pin, to keep the shaft at right     angles to the edge of the workpiece.
    If the three rows did not start out in line, I would instead     suggest that it was intended to step between the rows to get     finer step divisions.
2690)    O.K. Looking mostly at the second image, and going from left     to right, the first (leftmost) is a screw starting screwdriver.     You slide the outer shank down to bring the two tips together,     place the joined tips together into the slot of a standard     slotted screw, and slide the outer shank back a bit allowing them     to spread out a bit to grip the screw. Not a particularly     strong grip, but enough to hold it until it is guided into the     hole and the first turn or so are made. Then the task is     shifted to a regular screwdriver for strength.
    The second looks as though it could hold either small nuts or     the OD of Phillips headed screws for starting onto a threaded     stud.
    The third is more of a puzzlement, but given its common design     with the others, I think that it could either hold a nut at an     angle while a screw is started from the other side, or perhaps     could hold the inside of the slot of a screw from a side angle     while the nut is started on the other side.
    All in all -- a quite useful set of tools.
2691)    Perhaps a driver for square nuts of a given size -- or for     turning valve stems, or even floodgate shanks on a canal.
    It is adjusted to size by sliding the crossbar shown in the     second photo towards the end.
2692)    The end view down the bore of a rifle or pistol barrel -- likely     pistol given the apparent shortness.
    Looks as though it needs cleaning, too. A bit of rust on the     lands and other stuff in the grooves.
2693)    Designed to grip or release heavy loads depending on which end     of the lever is pulled down.
    Looks like it slides over steel cable, but perhaps over an eye     or a cross-bolt.
    The two holes to the right attach to the cable from the crane.
2694)    I *think* that this is for picking up and moving recently cut     down trees -- likely for loading them onto trucks to carry to     the sawmill.
    Now to post and then check what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
These two items were sent in by people looking to identify them, I don't think they are going to make it on to the web site but maybe someone here can tell us what they are.
Rob H. wrote:

--
G.W. Ross

My inferiority complexes aren't as

    Hmm ... the characters look somewhat arabic -- but I'm not sure.

    This looks like some form of pilot light (the electric one which is used to tell that something electrically powered is on, not what keeps a gas stove ready to light. However, since this is double-ended with different colors, I suspect that it may be something from a model railroad setup -- part of the signals to say whether it is safe to proceed or not. Perhaps for a live steam scale model setup.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Got me. Totally no clue. Obviously had meaning to whoever made them.