What is it? Set 461

This week's set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2679 A model of the Telstar communication satellite. 1 or 2 launched in 1962. Hey! 50 years ago.
2680 Looks like a "Mills Bomb" early hand grenade.
2681 Organ pipes?
On 10/4/2012 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I'm not sure if it's a Mills bomb but it's definitely a hand grenade.
On 10/4/12 4:06 PM, Rob H. wrote:

the cap and rapping the striker on your helmet. Sometimes they went off instantaneously. That may be why in public-opinion polls in 1945, most Japanese said it would be okay to execute the emperor.

Telstar model is right, the rest of them have all been identified correctly this week, more information and some links can be found here:
Rob
Thanks, Rob. I totally enjoy this web page, each week.
Telstar model is right, the rest of them have all been identified correctly this week, more information and some links can be found here:
Rob
On 10/4/12 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Correct, the patent on this one is 1920 but I'm sure there were earlier ones.
2677, no clue 2678, no clue 2679, no clue 2680, resembles a hand grenade, but the pull pin is a bit small. 2681 church organ pipes, badly in need of wood refinishing. 2682, some version of a chisel wedge.
This week's set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

Organ pipes is correct, someone had sent in the photo asking what they were.
My father has interest in old musical stuff, and I've seen my share of odd things. In use, these are vertical, and the "handle" is on top.

Organ pipes is correct, someone had sent in the photo asking what they were.
Oh, forgot. Posting from my desk top PC as always.

Organ pipes is correct, someone had sent in the photo asking what they were.
2677 - looks like a reed trimmer for a woodwind instrument, like a clarinet, or sax. Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

Good answer, I'm told it's a trimmer for a clarinet.
Amazing, the neat things to learn. Thanks, all.

Good answer, I'm told it's a trimmer for a clarinet.
Rob H. wrote:

2677 -
2678 -
2679 - Telstar model
2680 - Japanese Type 97 grenade.
2681 - Look like organ pipes
2682 -
--
Steve W.

2677)    Strange beastie. Might be to dispense glass microscope     slides. The size is about right. Other than that, no guesses.
2678)    A somewhat wider version of a machinist's jack -- intended to     live part of a workpiece to the right height above the machine     table, so the surface being machined is level.
    The "lock" feature is so it does not change its height during     the vibration of machining.
    Most that I have seen are somewhat smaller, and don't have the     lock feature.
2679)    Well ... this looks like a satellite. Smaller than most, but     larger than the original Vanguard "grapefruit". The antenna is     interesting. It has a lot of silicon solar cells to keep it     powered in space (no way to get to it to change batteries until     the shuttle came into being.)
    I guess that it could be something carried aloft on a balloon for     research, but the fact hat the solar cells cover most of it     suggests that it is designed to run for a long time at varying     angles to the sun.
    I've seen one of the Vanguard ones which never got launched.     (The lab where I worked had vacuum coated them, including later     ones of various sizes.)
    The white coating is unusual, as is the belt of windows around     the equator. (Hmm ... it almost looks as though I see people     behind the windows, so perhaps this is a model of some large     scale space station.
2680)    Looks like the business end of a German WW-II (or perhaps even     WW-I) "Potato Masher" hand grenade.
    It is certainly cast into a shape intended to fragment to make     lots of shrapnel.
    But a quick look at WikiPedia shows images which are a bit     different. It is still a grenade, but not the one which I     thought.
2681)    Two wood organ pipes -- missing the stems which plug into the     wind box. The handles at the right hand end are for     pushing/pulling plugs which tune the pipe to the desired note.
2682)    Perhaps replaceable blades for something like a road surface     planer -- to remove upper layers of asphalt paving prior to     re-paving?
    The first machine I ever saw to do this was labeled a     "Scaraplane", so I think of this as "scaraplaning".
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"Rob H." wrote in message

2676 looks a lot like Telstar as the original is roughly spherical, measures 34.5 inches (876.30 mm) in length, and weighs about 170 pounds and this one it 12 inches it must be a scale model see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar
Robin from Kiwi land