What is it? Set 457

This week's set has been posted:

Rob H.
2653: Animal Tagger? 2654: Ceramic Insulators? 2655: Part of a music box. 2656: making lots of concentric circles? 2657: Stamp used to fix all the White House keyboard "W"s?
Reply to
Kenefick

Reply to
Kenefick

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

2657 is a Steak brand. The non-shown sides have R & (probably) MR on them. The show sides are for Well and Medium.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2654 - Pepper pots for telegraph poles.

2656 - Circle drawing tool.

2657 - Barbeque tool for marking steak: W - Well done, M - Medium, R - Rare, B - Blue.

2658 - Farming tool.

Reply to
David B

2656 will keep eight valves in order. It's not musical chairs!
Reply to
J Burns

2653: The line wires of a mesh fence have ripples to keep them tight and springy. This tool might be to tighten stretched ripples or make new ones. The L-shaped tongue might help guide the line wire into the notch.
Reply to
J Burns

Reply to
Leon Fisk

It holds the valves from a V8 engine when overhauling it. My parents had one from the '40's which had advertising for a garage on it. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Oops. Forgot to add #2656. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yes, these tools were used on a farm.

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't have an answer for this one yet, but the owner of it did say "The tool has quite a strong odour similar to that of an automotive or machinery workshop."

Reply to
Rob H.

Hay rakes is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

2653) Strange looking beastie. I'm not sure how old it is, but what it looks to be to me is a crimper for some kind of crimp splice or terminal which is held in the clip in the bottom

An extra view of the moving part fully engaging the clip in the bottom might give more clues. (Something like the last, but with the lever fully compressed.)

2654) The look somewhat like tiny drinking mugs with brewery markings on them.

But they *could* be insulators.

Or they could be strange chess pieces, given the variety of shapes.

2655) This sort of looks like the works in a pepper grinder, but obviously much larger.

Could it be for breaking and grinding stone? Or perhaps something like clam shells -- to make lime?

2656) Hmm ... the printing looks designed to skip the areas of the holes, which suggests that they are related, rather than the holes were drilled into a yardstick for a different purpose.

And the text suggests automotive parts (piston rings).

Perhaps it is to store engine valves for an (up to) 8 cylinder engine during stripdown and reassembly?

2657) The high contrast suggests that it is to print the letters shown by transferring paint, rather that to burn the letters into wood like a brand.

Are there two other letters on the two sides which we can't see? It is interesting that the two shown are almost vertical mirror images of each other -- other than the slope on the sides of the 'W' vs the vertical sides on the 'M'.

'W' might go with the other compass directions -- but 'M' does not fit that at all, which is why seeing the other two sides might be helpful.

2658) Part of a harvesting machine -- perhaps horse drawn?

Or perhaps a net drying and repair rack?

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Still not sure about the first one but the rest have been answered correctly this week:

was hoping to find a video of the hay rakes in action but didn't have any luck, I'll have to see if I can get a demonstration at an antique machinery show.

Reply to
Rob H.

This week's set has been posted:

2654 Insulators for electric fence wire. WW
Reply to
WW

Been out of town for a few days. Posting from my desktop PC, as usual.

2653, no clue. 2654, salt shakers, or electrical insulators. 2655, no clue. 2666, alignment holes for setting up a machine. 2657, meat tenderizer? 2658, sock drying rack for outdoors

.

Stormin Mormon

Are you sure about the spark plugs? There appear the wrong shape and a little large at 1½"

David B

They are for the old plugs that you can take apart to service. Most were

3/4 or 1" pipe thread.
Reply to
Steve W.