What is it? Set 455

I need some help with the second item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
On 8/23/12 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

a tool like a checker with a dowel glued through the center at right angles. The diameter of the dowel should be the inside diameter of the tubing and small enough to go through the small end of the slot.
If you put the dowel through the slot from the far side, holding the checker against the unseen face of the tool should keep the dowel perpendicular to the blade.
With the dowel coming through the big end of the slot, slide the tubing on from the near side. Depending on the position of the blade relative to the slot, pushing the checker to the small end could cause the blade to cut through the tubing to the dowel. Slide the checker back to the big end, rotate it a few degrees, and repeat. You could end up with the tubing cut off evenly at 90 degrees.

Don't know if this is correct or not but I'll pass it on to the owner.
2641 I've seen some gas valves that used a slot wrench with a shape like these, but I suspect these are for something else. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MS%20L350_A_name_E_Emergency%20Gas%20Shut-Off%20Wrench
On 8/23/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MS%20L350_A_name_E_Emergency%20Gas%20Shut-Off%20Wrench
They do look similar but the ones on my site are not gas valve wrenches.

2641, wrenches or shut off tools, of some kind. As to what, that's beyond my knowledge. 2642, we can barely see the edges of the razor blade. Looks like the center part turns, and cuts off something that sticks through the tear drop shaped holes. Not sure why there is a flat base, so it looks like it can sit on a desk or shelf when not used. 2643, roofer's hatchet. I've seen these in use, over the years. 2644, don't know. 2645, vehicle gear shift handle, for dog lover. 2646, spaghetti extruder, and cut off.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It looks like a roofer's hatchet but it's only 6" long, so this one has a different use.

Midgit roofer?

It looks like a roofer's hatchet but it's only 6" long, so this one has a different use.

Rob H. wrote:

2642 - Likely a pencil sharpener/honer
2645 - a bench dog! Or maybe the top of a cane?
Bill

I like the bench dog idea but that's not correct.

2642 could be used to trim the ends of plastic optical fiber to make a smooth end before connecting. Like these tools: http://www.dipol.ie/pof-cutter-ultimode-pof-2t.html http://i-fiberoptics.com/tools.php?cat=cutting
It also might be used as a wire stripper, or to remove the sheething from small coax cable.

A few people have suggested it could be a wire stripper but I haven't been able to find any others like it.

    I like the suggestion. For stripping the jacket -- and the braided shielding from coax cables -- at a guess in the size range from RG-174 (a little over 1/8" diameter) up through perhaps RG-59 (close to 5/16" diameter). It would need a larger opening to handle RG-8 and similar.
    The two similar sides could be set up so one cuts deep enough to go through both the jacket and the shield, and the other only through the shield -- but setting the projection of the razor blade would be tricky at best.
    It is common to have a specific length of center conductor and insulation projecting, then another shorter length of braided shielding before getting to the fully jacketed remainder of the cable. But I don't see anything serving as a settable depth stop for each cut.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Turns out that your original guess is correct, it's been verified that it's a slicer for microscopes.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2641)    A tool for drilling a hole or tightening/loosening a nut     or bolt in a restricted location -- working around obstructing     beams.
2642)    Looks like a microtome (thin slicing tool for samples to go     under a microscope. In this case, it would be for stems of     foliage which would be placed through one of the teardrop     holes, the blade holder would be rotated to force the sample     into the narrow end of the teardrop, and then slice it.
    Then you would move the sample a little farther into the     teardrop and repeat, producing a thin slice of the stem to be     mounted on a glass slide and studied under the microscope.
    It might also be a tool for preparing stems for splicing.
2643)    6" long seems rather small for this tool, unless it is perhaps     6" from blade to hammer head.
    Otherwise, it looks like a hammer, hatchet, and nail puller.
    If the 6" is overall length -- head to handle, perhaps it is     used for model making.
2644)    The instructions printed on the paper suggest that this is a     part of a more complex device.
    The shape of the paper is about that of a transfer stub from a     bus, which suggests that the holder fits into something on the     farebox.
    The numbers along the top suggest a punch hole is placed to show     where in the hour this was issued.
    Exactly what the "length of letters" text is about, I have no     idea.
2645)    Hood ornament for a Mack truck?
    Handle for a custom shift lever or a walking stick are other     options.
2646)    Strange device. It sort of looks like a part of a meat grinder,     except that I'm not sure why the blank plate between the two     plates with different sized perforations.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

You're correct about it being part of a more complex device, but it isn't related to bus transfer tickets.
2643 could be a toffee hammer, used for breaking and cutting candy.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.