What is it? Set 451

Page 2 of 2
On 26/07/2012 09:06, Rob H. wrote:

2619 - I have one of these - it was sold as a plumber's drain unblocker, though I've more often used it for fishing for electric cables

2619 Drain snake
Rick wrote:

2622 Clamp for a temperature guage?
On 7/26/2012 3:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

pleasant job!
2622 Wild stab... Oarlock? ?
On 7/26/2012 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2617)    These look like counterweights for something. Likely theater     curtains at a guess.
    They could be anchors for small craft like rowboats, but the     rings on some of them could rust away in a season.
2618)    Given the size (too small for a flashlight bulb) I'm going to     guess that this is a solar-powered cigarette lighter -- it     focuses the heat of the sun on the end of a cigarette placed     through the hole.
    I guess that it could also be used to light a fuse on an     explosive device at a particular hour if set up right.
2619)    O.K. The second could be used as a plumber's snake, but the     first one looks more like something designed to feed through a     pipe and then (as the orange device springs out from passing     through the pipe, it will hook on the end and when you pull     back, it will turn at right angles, and pull on the whole of the     pipe.
    The angle of view of the first one does not make it clear     whether it is a steel tape, or a wire, but the function would be     similar. The wire would be harder to grip and pull on without     gloves, of course. :-)
2620)    A simple puzzle, missing the small ball which drops in from the     left-hand end?
    A trap for some kind of large insect or small rodent?
2621)    A travel burglar alarm? You set it like a wedge as a door     stop, but in addition to making the door more difficult to open,     it closes a contact and sounds an alarm.
2622)    Perhaps a rack for transporting a bicycle on the back of a car?
    Now to post this, and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote

I think the orange in the first one is a fold out handle/clamp. the tape continues out to a ball in the upper left corner (not easy to see in the picture). To push the snake out the pipe, just flip out the handle till it clamps and keep pushing. When bring the snake back in the handle can be used to coil the tape back on the inside of the coil. pulling on the coil itself when things get tough.
--
Stephen B.

2617. Okay, think back to the Wild West Days. Sometimes a fella needed a portable way to tie up his horseaway from the wagon. Not a whole lot of trees out on the prairie. (Why would you tie up your horse to the wagon all night where said horse is going to do his business where he stands. Gotta be 'Less-than-wonderful' smell.) Believe it or not, it worked! The owner of the company where I work uses one (solid bronze, I think) to hold open a door during the summer months.
As far as door counter-balance weights are concerned. They are, typically, taller and slimmer than these being shown. Same owner has one of those holding open the other door...
John
They have all been answered correctly this week, thanks to everyone who supplied the answer for the drain snake.
Rob
Thanks, I learned about a few items I'd never seen. And had fun, too.