What is it? Set 450

Page 2 of 2
On 7/19/2012 3:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2614 Is for throwing clay pigeons (shotgun targets), I've got one that's made about the same.

Thanks! I found one just like it on the web, I'll forward this on to the owner.

2611)    Look like they are designed to grip round objects (rods), and     plug into tubing -- so they may be for adding rods to scaffolding     or the like. The wooden handles allow one to pivot whatever is     gripped around the center of the plug.
    Given that they are of two different sizes, and are perhaps     intended to work together, one possibility is for gripping     a rifle barrel near the action and near the muzzle for     repeatable test firing. In that case, the handles are for     lifting it free of the fixture.
2612)    At first glance, it reminds me of a vernier caliper, but     it has no graduations on the bar.
    So -- it is a transfer gauge -- set to a stack of gauge blocks     or some other standard, and then used to compare them to the     size of a workpiece.
2613)    Designed to wrap around something and compress it. Given     some other items which have appeared here, I suspect that it     might be for holding a tire in place on the rim while air is     pumped in to seat the bead.
2614)    Looks to me like a hand launcher for clay pigeons.
    I had to save it and adjust the gamma to see the details, it was     a rather dark image.
2615)    I'm going to assume that the flat top rotates around the     central hub. And if that is true, I expect that it was intended     for a yarn (or perhaps the cord used to make the cover under it)     is stored by wrapping in a figure 8 pattern around all the     knobs, to be payed out to the person crocheting or knitting or     whatever.
2616)    Perhaps a tenderizer, perhaps a tool for driving caulking into     something like a boat's hull, except the ribs are too close     together for that. The bottom of the grooves are rounded nicely     at the ends, so it could be for running multiple lines (ropes)     in parallel -- perhaps when threading the line through a     multi-sheave pulley block pair.
    It could also be used to hammer lines or canvas to soften them     or drive them into joints as caulking.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail