What is it? Set 450

Page 1 of 2
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2613 is a band clamp for securing boxes and frames while glue dries.
2615 reminds me of an oriental earthquake alarm. A bell (or other object) on a loop would be hung on one of each of the pegs. When an earthquake hit, the bell in the direction of the earthquake would fall off. Probably not what this is. Interesting to note that there are 12 knobs.
2616 is a meat tenderizer, flattener, ice crusher, and head knocker.

Looks like a (tobacco smoking) pipe stand to me.
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

If you've ever smoked a pipe, you would never rest a pipe with the stem down.
--
G.W. Ross

It is bad luck to be superstitious.

I do, and it doesn't require that.
But you're right that it's not all that well adapted to it.
Besides, I have _never_ had a "drink" from my pipe (right? that only happens to rookies...).
LLoyd
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:00:23 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

;-) I thought pipes were always allowed to dry thoroughly between uses. <Yeech!>

Right. But let it dry with the stem up.
--
G.W. Ross

It is bad luck to be superstitious.

It's not for lack of drying that most folks get a mouthful of juice. It's from smoking those soaking-wet cavendish blends.
A long time ago, I found and stuck with Union Leader. They stopped making it, but now it's being faithfully reproduced by several small companies.
It's not aromatic, but not nasty-smelling either. And it's a fairly dry straight Kentucky Burley with a mix of coarse shag and cube cuts, so it burns evenly and cool. Nice, strong flavor and not too much bite.
I never get a drink from it. And yes, I do dry my pipes stem up when not in use.
LLoyd

I haven't been able to find another one like it but I think this is right.

That doesn't make sense, to me. I've never seen a pipe stored upside down, with the stem down and the bowl up.

I don't own this one but I think it would be possible for it to hold pipes with the stem upwards, maybe turn the pipes sideways to slip them through the slot.

I did a search on knitting spools but didn't see anything that looked like the item in question.
The answers for this set can be seen here:
Thanks to everyone who participated this week!
Rob
That's a fun set. I've got to send you some photos, of the odd things I use, in my daily life. Probably a couple of them that will be of interest.
The answers for this set can be seen here:
Thanks to everyone who participated this week!
Rob

Meat tenderizer and ice crusher are correct.

2611: Need to know if the metal piece next to the handle is hollow. Might be some kind of pill packer? 2612: Might be for setting toe-in of vehicle front wheels? 2613: Who can tell? Probably a carry strap for a trombone, used in parades. 2614: With this poor picture, no way to know. 2615: some kind of loom for knitting sleeves. 2616: Meat tenderizing, flattening McDonalds burgers so they can get a couple more out of a pound of meat, Chi-Fao relaxation massage (try not to use the sharp edge), and scraping carrots and potatos.
You got me, I've never seen any of these. Really drawing a blank on the whole lot.
Posting from my desktop PC, as always.
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

They aren't pill packers, I only have the photo but I'm pretty sure they are solid. These two tools are for use by a woodworker.
2615 - has several similar elements of a knitting spool, so I suspect this is a custom designed/made knitting spool ensemble.
Sonny

2612: the three screws are used to adjust the jaws so that they _are_ square to the beam! The center screw on the movable jaw can be used to lock it in place. phil k.

Sounds good, I'm going to ask for a photo of the screws, I can't visualize how they work from the description.

    [ ... ]

    They are visible in the second photo. You may need to download the larger version (pic2612b.jpg is the file name), and use an image viewer to increase the gamma a bit to brighten it up, and enlarge it to fill your screen, and you'll see the screws along the top edges.
    They would probably have been more visible if it were against an unpatterned background -- say some white shirt cardboard. And a different angle might show whether there are nuts to lock the settings for the screws or not.
    Personally, I don't think that they actually change the angle -- I suspect that they just tighten the gibs (adjustable sliding surface) to keep it sliding smoothly, or to lock it in a specific position. The angle of the jaws is defined by the surface opposite the screws -- right behind the jaws.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Guess I didn't look close enough, pretty obvious now that I know they're there. Your analysis of it sounds right. Thanks