What is it? Set 448

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:38:44 -0400

Yup, that is exactly how I used to do it and why the "groove" style plier worked so well. Now I don't feel quite so clever anymore, must have been an obvious solution ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Not to my former co-workers. They told me that it was impossible to remove a Heyco, and reuse it without a lot of damage. :)
2599 Hmmm... Looking at the first picture, I jump to the conclusion that this is a mill. The millstone rolls in circles on its periphery. The central post is upside-down, and its upper projection forms the central pivot. Then, quickly looking at the next two pictures, I get confused... There is no room for a draft animal to go round between the brick circle and the nearby post. The working periphery of the millstone is very rough, so it cannot be used to grind to a powder. There is no way to collect a liquid if this mill is used to extract a fluid or juice or oil from something. Then the fourth and fifth picture confuse the driving situation. The frame is a yoke for a draft animal with the sheave driving a belt to the mill. But the draft animal would have to step or jump over the belt? Is it possible that the yoke, post and sheave are upside-down? I can't immediately think of a farm product that is produced or used in quantity that would be made by this crushing mill.
On 7/5/2012 4:05 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The bottom of the bricked circular ring (enlarge the pic) appears to have a "concrete" or stone bottom. The contents in the ring appears to be wood chips, but not sure if this is there for demo purposes, relative to use of the "tool". There is no debris, as this, anywhere else, nearby... only within the ring. It certainly doesn't appear as a typical gristmill.
For grinding coal? I don't know why coal would need to be ground, though. I don't think this tool is indigenous to my area, so I have no idea about regions of the country with coal, hence the guess. Charcoal grinder?
Sonny

Nope, not coal

Cider press?
writes:

Not a cider press
2599, either artifact of Fred Flinstone's car, or maybe a millstone for wheat grinding. 2600, I suspect a crimper for electronic cable connector. 2601, that's familiar gadget. I think opening paint cans, carrying paint cans (wire handle) and can't think of the third. 2602, probably for holding the corners of furniture, while the glue dries. 2603, Goliath's combat helmet. The chin strap is missing, typically made of sewn leather. Or, it could be a kettle for boiling syrup from sap. 2604, totally no clue.
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

You've got two of the three correct.

Removing bottle caps? Art
Painter got to stay hydrated. I did think bottle cap remover, but on a paint tool?

Removing bottle caps? Art

Bottle opener is right
Painters need to stay hydrated? Must be.

Bottle opener is right
And all the rest were wrong, I gather?

You've got two of the three correct.

2603. Isn't this the classic pot used by the natives to boil missionaries?
2603 - Is a syrup kettle, for making syrup in. Sugar cane juice is squeezed from the sugar cane and the juice runs, via a trough, into this pot to be cooked down into syrup. We have a pic of my grandfather's syrup mill with the horse spinning the press, which squeezes the cane to extract the juice.
Today, many of these kettles are used for flower bed displays (think of a large hanging flower pot, but on the ground, not hanging) or for some feature of lawn decor.
Rob H. wrote:

2599 A threshing wheel.
2603 Syrup kettle for boiling down cane juice.
2604 Skimmers to remove the foam/debris from the contents of the kettle.
--
G.W. Ross

A Metaphor is like a Simile.
Rob H. wrote:

2599 - Old grinding wheel. The pivot is upside down. Could be used for grains or to grind limestone for chinking/mortar. The last picture is a different style but used to make flour normally.
2600 - Strain relief pliers.
2601 -
2602 -
2603 - Looks like an old tanning pot for liming hides.
2604 -
--
Steve W.

2602~corner clamp.
Jerry
2603:    Looks like a kettle that Elmer Fud used to use to cook Rabbit Stew in :-0