What is it? Set 440

Page 1 of 2
I know the answer for just one of the items this week, hopefully we'll get at least a couple of them figured out:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2552 I assume lots of people will recognize the spark-coil (Model T vintage) in the base in the second picture. It produces a high voltage. This leads me to fantasies about this being some form of decorative light fixture, missing a gas-discharge globe/lamp on top.
On 5/10/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Actually, that's a "Fordson" coil. The original model T had a magneto for normal running, but used the Fordson continuous spark coil for starting up or slow idling.
But that aside, I think this is a ceremonial torch that can be lit remotely and on cue. The small vessel on top is just about the right size for some flammable oil and a wick. The spark coil would be used to generate the ignition spark. There's even a ceramic spark gap visible on top.
The fact that it was all soldered up from copper makes one think it might have been part of a trade union fraternal group's induction ceremonies -- like "Plumbers and fitters Union #305 social club."
In fact, I remember that the Lion's Club of America has an induction ceremony where several "lights" are illuminated in succession as a liturgy is read.
LLoyd

Sounds like a good use for it, I'll pass this on to the owner. Another good diatribe Lloyd, you're on a roll!
My newsreader is only showing seven replies to my post today, but Google groups has 14 replies to it. Usually they are pretty much in sync so I'm not sure if it's just my news server or if it's wider spread.
Rob

I would bet that this is correct, thanks.
2551: homemade dust pan? 2552: 2553: upholstery tacks? 2554: fish hook remover? 2555: hole maker of some sort? 2556:
On 5/10/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2552 I assume lots of people will recognize the spark-coil (Model T vintage) in the base in the second picture. It produces a high voltage. This leads me to fantasies about this being some form of decorative light fixture, missing a gas-discharge globe/lamp on top. On 5/10/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

------- All of mine are SWAGs. :) 2551 - Forge/fireplace shovel/scoop. Used with pliers, tongs, or handle. 2552 - Butt can. Conveniently large receptacle at top, butt falls down narrow tube and is collected at bottom. Self extinguishing, smoke is minimized. See http://www.eagle-mfg.com/buttcans.html Starter coil serves as a stop-smoking aid. 2553 - Reamer, countersink. 2554 - Linkage joint 2555 - Drill Press 2556 - Waterproof storage for breaker reset tool or documents showing line routing / distribution. J

I think this is probably correct, I found a Goodell Brothers patent for a hand drill that looks similar.

There are at least a dozen of these canisters on telephone poles within 2 miles of my house, I like the theory that there are documents inside of them since most linemen bring their own tools.

It appears to be missing the chuck, however.
scott
Rob H. wrote:

Usually they are either filters or card drops for connection to the main cable in locations where the cables are not underground.
--
Steve W.

Thanks, sounds like a good answer though I looked at the Hubbell Power web site and didn't find any filters or canisters, do you know if they go by other names or where I can find the filters or card drops online?
-----
Still not sure about 2554 but I think the rest of them have been identified, thanks again to everyone who helped answer them.
Rob

    [ ... ]

    I think not filters in this one, because there is no cable visible entering it. Documentation as to what pair connects to where, if that is a "card drop" -- that I could accept -- documentation on the local wiring.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Good point, I'm going to try to find some typical documentation that they would contain and will post it when I do.
Know someone with a ladder? Go up and look. Make copies, and put the papers back later.
Good point, I'm going to try to find some typical documentation that they would contain and will post it when I do.

I'll probably end up doing that but I would prefer to do it on a street with not much traffic and most of the ones that I've seen are on busy roads.

It's trespassing, and not looked upon lightly because of the potential for theft of wiring/devices and sabotage. When you see a power company lineman at work somewhere, just ASK him.
Lloyd
Panel van. Yellow safety vest. Yellow bump cap. Clip board. Couple of stolen road cones. No one will know. Urban camoflauge. Middle of the day. You'd be amazed some of the things I've done, and no one seems to notice or care.

I'll probably end up doing that but I would prefer to do it on a street with not much traffic and most of the ones that I've seen are on busy roads.
2551, looks like the tray to put under the down spout / gutters. Reduces erosion. 2552. I went through a couple ideas, but none of them made much sense. 2553, my guess is it's some kind of spike, or nail. Used for what, I'm not sure. 2554, maybe part of the brakes of a big truck. 2555, some kind of table top device. Maybe egg beater, for bowls of eggs. 2556, no clue.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 5/10/12 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2551 could be a sled to drag the foot of a heavy item on a wooden floor or outdoors. I could use 4 to drag a wood stove across my lawn. I'd lever it up to put one under each foot, then adjust four chains to attach them to a tow bar.
2556 might hold repellent and a wick, to keep insects or woodpeckers away, for example.
On 5/10/2012 3:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2553 Is a spindle from a cotton picking machine. There are rows of them that spin and pull the cotton off the plant.