What is it? Set 439

On 5/4/2012 8:24 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

Just a little... :) Also makes a big difference that it's warm year-round down there, too. Grandparents on one side went to the TX valley back in the 30s and did the early citrus and truck farming down there while the other side stuck it out thru the Dirty-30s here.

We've been thru two years of severe drought up until February we caught a nice snow a rain that saved the winter wheat that had managed to hang on. We then got another 2" in late March/early April and it looked really good until about 10 days or so ago. We've been terribly hot for this early (95F today for example) and it's really fading fast. They've cut our chances w/ the next front over the weekend down to almost nothing and if so another week w/o good rain and it'll be done. :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Your boiler tube idea and Alexander's pipe tool theory both sound like good uses for it though I haven't been able to find anything similar on the web. The word PAT'D is visible in one of the photos, I just sent the owner an email asking if there is any more text on it and will post his reply if it is worth reporting.

Reply to
Rob H.

On 5/4/2012 5:37 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

I've been getting a group of coyotes every morning for about the last six months that are pretty regular and earlier than I would be otherwise...then the pheasants start their wakeup... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb fired this volley in news:jo3bul$apj$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Yeah... I hate those damn things. They take a new calf about once year. Since you don't know for sure when a cow's going to drop, sometimes it happens at night.

They're all over this part of Florida. Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On 5/5/2012 9:07 AM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: ...

What's wrong w/ pheasants? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb fired this volley in news:jo3lrf$5ad$2 @speranza.aioe.org:

Too big to put in a hip pouch.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I noticed this AM one has apparently been feeding from dog bowl looking at droppings...had to come 'round the house from the other direction; this spaniel generally tries to chase anything w/ wings at least halfheartedly.

We keep water out for them and the couple of covey of quail that reside in the cedars/windbreak.

Last year was so dry had to turn waterers on in the feedlot to keep the deer from completely debarking everything in the yard searching for anything at all...we're not that bad off this year at least yet.

Made a pass around this AM; much of the wheat is, indeed, gone, though, as far as making a grain crop. Boot but no grain and brown... :( Not much revenue there; will start swathing to salvage at least something Monday. Some of the sandier ground is still hanging on but unless get some relief _real_soon_now_ which doesn't look likely it's in trouble, too.

--

Reply to
dpb

On 5/5/2012 11:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote: ...

They're better left to hold down jackrabbit populations...

Reply to
dpb

And I'll add you need to have been around in the 30s (before me) or the

50s (was) to remember the hordes that literally stripped fields bare after the coyotes and other predators (hawks and golden eagles as well, but primarily coyotes) had been nearly eliminated to fully appreciate there's a need for them in the system, too.

--

Reply to
dpb