What is it? Set 439

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 3 May 2012 04:14:54 -0400

Item #2548 is an awful lot like this patent:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid '51192
"...a novel spade adapted to reduce to a substantial extent the expenditure in human labor involved in digging..."
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks, I just sent the owner of it an email with the answer, I guess I'll send him another one with the patent for it.

2545)    Hmm ... looks like a combination of an ornate key and     a match lit firearm, based on the presence of what looks like a     touch-hole partially intersecting the last decorative ring.
    I like the S-shaped ward at the end of the key, too.
2546)    Lab apparatus for demonstrating the breaking up of water     into oxygen and hydrogen by the application of an electric     current.
    You put two electrodes in the bottom end of the two Burette     tubes (inverted from normal arrangement), add water (with a     little salt or acid to make it more conductive), open the     stopcocks at the tops of the Burettes and pour in the water     until the level is just beyond the stockcocks and close the     stopcocks. Then apply DC to the two electrodes, and notice the     volume on the Burettes (if they are graduated -- it is difficult     to tell with this photo.
    When it has run for a time you can connect the tops of the     stopcocks to rubber tubes to guide the generated gas to other     containers. One Burette will produce oxygen, and the ohter     hydrogen. Mix them into a single container and you will have a     nice explosive mixture. :-)
2547)    A coin which has been run between to loosely-meshed (but heavy     duty) gears. Looks as though it once was a US quarter dollar.
2548)    To answer the stated question -- yes it has a specific use.
    However, I don't know what that use is. Perhaps it is for     removing debris from a sewer.
2549)    Hmm ... is it rigid or resilient? From the length, and the     location found I would suspect that it might be an early form of     condom. They have been made from eel-skin and from sheep     intestines in past times. I have read of the eelskin ones being     found still floating in the city sewers
    But it looks rather tight at the small (left) open end for that     use.
    It could be a bulb for a form of medicine dropper, again     assuming that it is not rigid.
2550)    Not a clear enough photo to be very clear in my guesses. :-)
    Could it be that when the handles of the plier end are opened     the wings of the other end close? Then it could be inserted     into a just-drilled hole, and used to debur the inside end of     the hole. The material looks to be bronze (unless that is an     artifact of the illumination and the white-balance settings of     the camera). The central screw seems to be steel at least.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I think the wings are stationary, I forgot to include this description by the owner of the tool:
"It is brass, the top is spring loaded, (I think to release it) when pulled it expands the bottom part."
Thanks to everyone who answered the electrolysis device and the shovel, I'm intrigued by the last item in this set and hope to get it identified soon. The rest of the answers for this set can be seen here:
Rob
2250 There are some wondrously clever special-purpose plumbing tools. This may be something to hold a pipe in a fitting or nipple while it is being soldered, for the case where the pipe wants to pull out and the outside isn't available. You shove it through the nipple, into the pipe, with the wings bearing against the open side of the nipple. It grabs the inside of the pipe and holds things together while soldering.
On 5/4/2012 5:05 PM, Rob H. wrote:

On 5/4/2012 5:56 PM, Alexander Thesoso wrote: 2550

Rob H. wrote:

It almost looks like a tool used to insert a boiler tube into the plate. It slides into the tube, you turn the end to tighten down the internal jaws and then use a section of pipe over the other end to steer the tube into place.
--
Steve W.

Your boiler tube idea and Alexander's pipe tool theory both sound like good uses for it though I haven't been able to find anything similar on the web. The word PAT'D is visible in one of the photos, I just sent the owner an email asking if there is any more text on it and will post his reply if it is worth reporting.
A hole spreader?
Jerry