What is it? Set 438

Page 2 of 2
2543 -- firefighter's axe, yes, but specifically a pick head axe.
Northe
Rob H. wrote:

2539 - Look like wood working tools used to cut a round or square groove.
2540 -
2541 - Adjustable fishing rod holders. They clamp on and allow you to set the butt of the rod in them.
2542 - Teeth broken off a road sweeper broom. They make great lock pick stock.
2543 - Kelly Standard Fire axe.
2544 - Circular saw tooth set tool.
--
Steve W.

Yes, I was planning to mention to the lock pick angle in my answer.
Rob H. wrote:

I have a lot of custom picks made from them.
--
Steve W.

Sign of a misspent youth perhaps :)
Nick wrote:

Nope just being a cheap SOB when it comes to buying lock tools. When you look at the prices on commercial picks and realize what they are and that they do break now and then you discover that a few broom teeth and a good file or Dremel is much cheaper. Most of my picks set in a box collecting dust. You can usually cut a key easier.
--
Steve W.

I get my picks from my locksmith supply house. Sometimes need to pick a lock to open it, and make keys from there.
Nope just being a cheap SOB when it comes to buying lock tools. When you look at the prices on commercial picks and realize what they are and that they do break now and then you discover that a few broom teeth and a good file or Dremel is much cheaper. Most of my picks set in a box collecting dust. You can usually cut a key easier.
--
Steve W.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I still keep in practice but most of the time I can impression a key without a problem.
--
Steve W.

Some do, but not others. Need to keep assortment of skills, to get the job done. Sometimes I use two or three techniques on the same job, on the same lock.
I still keep in practice but most of the time I can impression a key without a problem.
--
Steve W.

2539 Amish tire thumpers, for wagon wheels. 2540 Frying pan for high viscosity eggs. 2541 they probably hold the arms, that hold awnings for shade. 2542 probably scraps of stick braze or silver braze. Used for refrigeration work, joining tubing. 2543 Fireman's pick axe. 2544, totally no clue.
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Shazzam! I just saw my name in lights. Thanks, Rob. My pleasure to take a couple photos for you. The white background is the top of my ancient Whirlpool washing machine.
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

Guess: Is #2540 related to "canning" (preserving food in jars)?

2539)    Levers of some sort. Perhaps could be used as brakes on an     old steel tired wooden wheeled wagon.
2540)    Support for a very hot container on a wooden surface like     a tabletop. The three small feet minimize the conduction     of the heat to the support.
2541)    Designed to clamp on the edge of a workbench. Looks like it     is intended to support soldering irons while plugged in between     soldering joints.
2542)    Perhaps shims for a keyway broaching set -- but those would     have an 'L' shaped bend near one end.
    Perhaps special purpose solder -- like perhaps Sil-Phos -- used     to solder copper plumbing for air conditioning refrigerant.
2543)    Looks like a firefigher axe -- designed to break through     barriers quickly to allow fighting the fire behind them.
2544)    Well ... it is a protractor, but for what is not clear.
    Perhaps for holding a disc shaped workpiece to bring it to a     grinder. Hmm ... disc shaped and grinder -- perhaps for     sharpening a circular saw blade? If so, there would need to be     a larger wooden surface than is shown (perhaps from a museum)     which also holds the grinder which will sharpen the teeth.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested. (I'm rather late today.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
The answers for this week can be seen here: