What is it? Set 437

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the third item this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2536: Don't know it's real name, but is used to double fiber optic cable back and forth between poles, avoiding the need to cut and do tricky field splices. Their use won't exceed the cable's minimum bend radius.
Verizon Fios areas with the fiber optic cables on poles are infested with these things.
Erik

Oops, Correction, make that 2537!

2537 - It's also used on coax, to keep the length of a segment equal to a certain number of wavelengths at a selected center frequency.
2536 - looks like a retrievable mason's line. One would expect to see at least one corner block associated with it.
Lloyd

Yes, someone told me it's called a fiber loop.

2536. Looks like a surveyor's tape reel with cord and a door hook replacing the tape. Karl

Surveyor's tape reel is correct.
2533, wild guess. Hand operated can seamer, for sealing tin cans. 2534 Inspectors test punch. Used for sampling plastic sheeting, coming off an assembly line. The small disk that is punched out, is sent back to QC for testing. 2535, this is a photo dryer. The photograph is placed in the frame, and then it dries in the proper curvature to be placed in advertising display which was used on the NYC subway. (I'm guessing?) 2536, this is a chalk line, that rolls out. The crank in the center of the "star" allows the operator to respool the line. 2537, not sure what they are. But I see a lot of them on telephone or electrical lines, out by the road. 2538, I think this is part of a wood worker's tool known as a block plane. Most of the plane is missing, unfortunately.
Rob H. wrote:

--
G.W. Ross

The older I get, the better I used to be.

Someone found the answer for this one, it's for putting logos on caps:
http://www.allbrands.com/products/24438

2536- manualy wound tape reel, no tape
2537- used to turn around a fiber optic cable while maintaining the minimum bend radius.

2538 - It looks like a type of side rabbit plane ....

Correct, it's a rabbet or rebate plane.

Go here: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan11.htm See #'s 90, 92, 93 for rabbet planes. Yours is like #98 except is a double for the left and right side walls of the dado/rabbet. Stanley made their double, #79, a bit different. Art

Yes, they look just like the one on my site except mine was made by Sargent.
Still not sure about number 2535 but the rest of the answers for this set have been posted:
On 4/19/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2533: Flint/Steel fire starter?

Nope

#2538 A nice bronze side-rabbet(rebate) plane.
scott
Rob H. wrote:

--
Snag
Learning keeps

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always -- but rather late -- already into tomorrow. :-)
2533)    Looks like it is designed to cut flats on the ends of wood     rods or narrow boards. It can't be too wide, or it would     interfere with the hand crank.
    Perhaps for doing something to legs for furniture?
2534)    Looks about right for cleaning the socket for a candle in     a candlestick, and for shaping the end of the candle prior to     putting it in the candlestick.
2535)    At a guess, for feeding out and cutting off paper, formed     into a curve for whatever reason.
2536)    Either an old style tape measure for a surveyor, or a depth     gauge for large fuel tanks -- depending on what the hook is     expected to catch onto.
2537)    Looks like a device for running cable below a support     cable. The fixture slides along the support cable (drawn by the     yellow cord), and the cable is paid out from the end that the     device starts from. Not sure whether it is expected that there     will be two runs of cable or not.
    There should be something to attach the cable to the support     cable as it moves along.
2538)    Sliding lock for the inside of a door or window. The part to the     lower right is fixed on the other part.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested,
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail