What is it? Set 434

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the second and fifth items in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Chrome Eagle Ornament for the front fender of a bike? Might be a aftermarket part.
thanks for the interesting blog
Walter
Am 29.03.2012 10:06, schrieb Rob H.:

2518 Precursor to the laser plumb-bob
2515 While this looks like a decorative hood-ornament, I'd like to think this is a bottle-opener... But... I can't see how it would work to remove a standard crown seal. I still guess it is mounted somewhere and used to open something.
2519 Slap Hammer. Old. I have a secondary problem, for those of you who are skilled at forging or smithery: How was it made?
On 3/29/2012 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

    [ ... ]

    I agree with the hood ornament -- or as someone else said, possibly for a motorcycle or even a bicycle fender.

    I am not skilled (actually, never done it), but at a guess, it was made by forge welding two parts of the shaft together -- at a guess, at one of the two places where the diameter increases to stop the weight/ball's travel. I think the left-hand one, but I'm not sure.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2517 is a simple stepped gauge for measuring or inspecting bored work. Each step would have been marked with a size so the item being inspected could be marked (say) "1.010-1.019", or "1.020-1.039", etc.
The bore in the center may or may not be a measuring hole. It could be there simply to lighten the work, as are many of the step gauges I have.
2518 is boat lamp made to look like a surveyor's plumb bob.
2519 OLD combination slide hammer/dollying hammer; for sheet metal work.
2520 Looks designed to be stuffed full of something like hay or cotton lint or wool. It _sort_of_ looks like a trap for something about the size of a muskrat, but has a lot of shortcomings for that application.
LLoyd
2518 is a Plumb Bob for use in a mine.
Crazy Ed
2515 looks like a hood ornament for something 2516 barrel hole (bung) expander 2517 barrel from a small cannon 2518 I was thinking plumb bob, until I saw the wick. More likely an indoor lamp. 2519 a hammer with a cancerous thyroid. Lot of them after Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident. 2520 either a medeival toilet paper holder, or a crawfish trap. Some what like a lobstah pot from Maine.
I need some help with the second and fifth items in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
On 3/29/12 07:50, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Fender ornament on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
Don Piven wrote:

Yup , a friend of mine has one just like that on his Harley . The eyes light up ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

Now only $15.95!
http://www.debrix.com/Eagle-Spirit-Fender-Ornaments-Harley-p/22936-m1.htm
:)
--Winston
On 3/29/2012 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Here are my "guesses":
2519 - The one matching the one labeled 'C'
2518 - Plumb bob for use in the dark
2519 - Black smith tool for flattening or surfacing heavy metal (non-musical).
2520 - Animal trap (beaver?)
Bill
Rob H. wrote:

2515 - Eagle Head fender ornament.
2516 - Bung expander.
2517 - Bore gauge - Each step would be a different size to show the size of a hole.
2518 - Plummet Lamp ( plump bob used in dark areas like tunnels )
2519 - Very old tinsmiths hammer.The sliding weight can be used to drive the handle and pierce metal.
2520 - Birth control device ????
--
Steve W.

2515)    This looks to me like a hood ornament -- though whether it     came with the vehicle or was a third-party option, I don't know.
2516)    This would appear to be a tool for splitting wood. Drill a     hole in the wood just a little larger than the pilot on the end     and then start screwing it in, expanding the wood around the     hole, and eventually splitting it.
2517) This looks like a homebrew cannon -- minus the trunions for     support and leveling, which could be made as part of a ring     which could be shrink-fitted to the barrel.
    The touchhole for the fuse is visible in the third view. The     taper is to give greater strength at the end where the powder is     detonated.
2518)    Gimbal mounted and chain hung -- I think that it is likely to     be a lamp for use in a boat.
    I'm not sure why the hardened point, however.
2519)    An early example of a slide-hammer, where the sliding ball     (or usually cylinder) is used to impact force to the workpiece.
    Is there a fork in the "claw" curved part? If so, it is for     pulling nails or something similar (I guess that without a fork,     it could be used for pulling staples.
    Otherwise, it could be held with the left-hand end in contact     with the workpiece, and held by the head, as the sliding ball     drives the left-hand end into the workpiece.
2520)    Looks like a trap of some sort. Given that the material     appears to be iron or steel, probably not a fish or eel trap,     but more likely for something of the size of a squirrel or just     a little larger. It can climb in squeezing past the curve of     the hooks, but when it tries to exit, it can't get past them.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2516: reamer
Not totally sure about the two mystery items but the others have been correctly identified, the answers have been posted here:

I'm not good with 2520, Rob. As I mentioned in my guesses, unless your goal is to lay the thing down on an ant hill after you catch the critter, there's no visible way to get anything OUT of it! I was even hoping to see that the rivet holes were slotted to permit moving an end ring far enough in to release the hooked rails. But there's no evidence of that, either in the hooked rails or the rings.
I'm guessing it's more likely something to trap a wad of meat or other comestible for bait, making it impossible for the baited creature to remove the contents.
I will admit, the first thing I thought is "one-way trap!", but it's not a workable design.
LLoyd

That's what it was marked at the auction where I took the photo but I'm sure it's possible that it was tagged incorrectly. I just sent a photo of it to a guy that runs a trap museum, I'll be interested to hear what he has to say about it and will let everyone know when he replies.

One of the long pieces with a hook was loose on one end and no longer attached to the ring, so it could pivot in either direction, I thought it was broken but maybe it was made to be this way so the animal could be removed, and was temporarily attached when the trap was set.
Here is the response that I got from the trap expert:
"I have not seen another of this but could be a wicked rat trap. Rat could go in from either end but could not get out. Not sure but it looks like a great piece."
-----
I think it might be too big to trap a rat, I was guessing maybe it was for a woodchuck, anyway, looks like no solid answer for now.

Sounds plausible but I haven't been able to find any similar bait holders to verify this idea.

If it is a trap then I would agree that it's not a great design, but I've seen a number of tools that weren't well thought out so it could just be a poorly designed trap. I would bet this item was not mass produced, if it was the trap expert would have recognized it. If this is the only one of its type in existence then it will be almost impossible to prove one way or the other what it is.
I'm going to stick with the trap answer for now, if the trap expert had suggested it was a bait holder then I would go along with it, but I'm always open to other ideas if anyone finds evidence to the contrary.
Rob

You could BBQ the animal right in the trap. Then just pick out the meat with your fingers. Just like the animals could pick out the bait with their paws in the first place. I doubt it's an animal trap. Art