What is it? Set 431

Page 2 of 2

    Only one of them (the center one) is a clip, to keep it closed when not in use.
    The other two are link arms which pivot on the main base and the narrower part beside it, allowing it to move out from the side while retaining a state of being parallel to the main one. (The four parts form a parallelogram.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

DoN, I "see it" now. Thank you for explaining!

2497)    I first have to ask a question: Does the metal     part pivot around the pin near the large end, and stick out the     small end? If so, I would need to see what that small end     looks like extended.
    However, if it does not (I think that there is a smaller pin to     prevent that), I could see this being used as a wrench for     square-headed screws such as are common on lathes. The metal     can take the wear, the large rivet gives it strength to avoid     spreading, and the wood makes a more comfortable handle than the     forged metal wrenches for the purpose would have.
2498)    It looks like the top piece is a Fresnel lens, so it could be     used to focus sunlight onto something held in the center of the     bowl. Perhaps to light a cigarette or a tobacco pipe's contents?     But the green glass would absorb a lot of the heat out of the     sunlight.
    So a second option might be a disassembled high voltage     insulator?
    Is that some form of tape on the elbow in the third photo?     And is that a loop of wire sticking through it, or a marking on     the tape?
2499)    If the points were not so sharp and long, I might consider this to     be some form of shuttle for weaving. The yarn could be wound     around between the projecting horns on the first one, and     perhaps the second one had similar horns which were somewhat     broken off.
    As it is -- perhaps for gigging fish? (But there should be a     barb on the pints for that.)
2500)    This looks like a tool for forcing a cork into (or back into)     a wine bottle.
2501)    Hmm ... the ridges in the center hole look as though they would     be good to grip a ribbed bottle cap of a certain size, and some     of the lips appear to be reasonable for lifting press-on caps     for something like a jam jar. Not too sure about anything else.
2502)    A rule for use on a chart table -- to sight though it to a     landmark, and the upper edge of the rule (if unlocked in the     center) would turn it into a parallel rule, for drawing a line     parallel to another or to the sighting.
    Anyway, for navigating or surveying.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"> 2497) I first have to ask a question: Does the metal

The metal piece doesn't come out, we removed the screw at the large end but the metal part was still held by the smaller pin.
> However, if it does not (I think that there is a smaller pin to

I have a close-up of it that I forgot to post, it can be seen here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%2014/pic2497b.jpg
The large image of it that was posted on the web site:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%2014/pic2497a.jpg
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 16:52:35 -0500
2497 Another guess, it reminds me of the lever used on recliners to move the foot-rest up/down.
I tried searching on/for that idea, but couldn't come up with anything solid. Some examples, like this newer patent shows that a square shaft is sometimes used in the mechanism:
http://www.google.com/patents?vidR82395
It appears to be old though, not sure when they started making recliners that used a side-arm mechanism like in that patent...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b