What is it? Set 430

Page 2 of 2

I hope you're not disappointed to hear the clamp is for making boats, although maybe you're correct and the patent is a ruse.
I had previously posted the first item in this set around six years ago, never found a solid answer for it but thought it was some type of punch. I decided to repost it after recently finding its patent.
The answers for this week's set have been posted:

I can guarantee the patent was falsely prosecuted. That clamp _cannot_ work. Even "back then" a good model would convince the patent clerks, even when they didn't understand the principles. Nowadays, you don't have to prove _anything_ except that you were first to file for the idea (It used to be "first to conceive it", but no longer).
(Just work out the moments acting on the elements)
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote ..

As the saying goes you can not have to many clamps. I think the drawings is not showing the clamps that hold the board to the rib of the boat. Once the boards are held from rotating, the clamp will work.

2491)    Looks like a blacksmith's tool for making rectangular     holes in ferrous metals of some thickness beyond normal sheet     steel.
    There needs to be a matching hole in the anvil, or in a die in     the anvil.
2492)    Sticks through a hole in a work surface and hooks there. The     screw applies clamping force to hold a workpiece to the     surface. It appears to be missing the swiveling pad which     is normally on these and on C-clamp screws.
2493)    Kind or hard to see -- too dark and not enough processing in     the digital world to lighten the gamma.
    But -- at a guess, it is some form of door closer designed to     pull the door closed, but avoid slamming.
2494)    Looks like something designed to be welded to a large steel     object to provide guidance for cables or ropes. At a guess, for     maritime use.
2495)    Perhaps a display stand for seed packets?
2496)    Looks like part of a motorization kit for a bicycle, but on a     stand for tuning and/or repair.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
#2491 For making a maker's mark (just tap it with a mallet)?
"Rob H." wrote:

Item 2491 is known as an "upset swage". It is a die that is used to shape the teeth of a saw to make them wider.
There is picture of someone using a swage in this link: http://www.senecasaw.com/docs/1011.1forum.pdf
The patent calls it a saw set, but that is not what is usually called a saw set nowadays. It is odd that the patent doesn't mention the type of saw that the swage is designed for. The link above shows using a swage on a rip saw but item 2491 looks like a swage for a crosscut saw.

Thanks, I think you are correct, and just changed my answer. The patent that I listed was definitely lacking in good information on how it was use, this patent was an improved version of an earlier one which can be seen at the link below. You're right about the saw type, the earlier patent states that the inventor experimented mainly on large crosscut saws, but also proposed to use it on carpenter's handsaws and crosscut saws generally.
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT165464
2494, train damager