What is it? Set 430

Well, that proves it. Wood workers clamp, and chain. Definitely for holding down Pinnochio.

Did I mention that Gepetto was into fettishes? He could only carve on little wooden boys if they were chained down. You shoulda seen the girl dolls he carved, too. Lawdy, lawdy!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but leather and chains excite me" -- Gepetto

.

the other end of the chain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hope you're not disappointed to hear the clamp is for making boats, although maybe you're correct and the patent is a ruse.

I had previously posted the first item in this set around six years ago, never found a solid answer for it but thought it was some type of punch. I decided to repost it after recently finding its patent.

The answers for this week's set have been posted:

Rob H.

Thanks, looks like it would have been a fun go-cart.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I can guarantee the patent was falsely prosecuted. That clamp _cannot_ work. Even "back then" a good model would convince the patent clerks, even when they didn't understand the principles. Nowadays, you don't have to prove _anything_ except that you were first to file for the idea (It used to be "first to conceive it", but no longer).

(Just work out the moments acting on the elements)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote ..

As the saying goes you can not have to many clamps. I think the drawings is not showing the clamps that hold the board to the rib of the boat. Once the boards are held from rotating, the clamp will work.

Reply to
Stephen B.

Item 2491 is known as an "upset swage". It is a die that is used to shape the teeth of a saw to make them wider.

There is picture of someone using a swage in this link:

patent calls it a saw set, but that is not what is usually called a saw set nowadays. It is odd that the patent doesn't mention the type of saw that the swage is designed for. The link above shows using a swage on a rip saw but item 2491 looks like a swage for a crosscut saw.

Reply to
jim

Thanks, I think you are correct, and just changed my answer. The patent that I listed was definitely lacking in good information on how it was use, this patent was an improved version of an earlier one which can be seen at the link below. You're right about the saw type, the earlier patent states that the inventor experimented mainly on large crosscut saws, but also proposed to use it on carpenter's handsaws and crosscut saws generally.

Rob H.
2494, train damager
Reply to
Joe keane