What is it? Set 429

I need some help with the second item in this week's post:

Rob H.

2485 Relay contact force gauge. 2487 Phograph arm.

No idea on any of the others!

Reply to
Dennis

Am 23.02.2012 10:18, schrieb Rob H.:

2486 Looks like a tool that might come handy for changing gears in belt drives / line shafts ?
Reply to
Walter Kraft
2485: Maybe an ammeter.

2487: Stylus and arm of an old record player.

2488: Combined can opener and bottle cap remover.
Reply to
Dave Baker

2485 Measures the weight of an old phonograph stylus.

2490 For writing receipts, keeps a copy on a continuous roll.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Reply to
phorbin

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Both of these are correct.

Reply to
Rob H.
2485 the reading from some kind of postal scale? 2486 looks like something the post office would use, to seal a glue strip. Roll it a couple times, to set the glue? 2487 is a robo vaccinator, used in sheep ranches, where they have to vaccinate hundreds of sheep. Most farmers neglect to change the needle every time. Either that, or it's the tone arm of a rather old accoustic record player. 2488 could be an electrical fence tightener. Either that, or it's a can and bottle opener. 2489 defenseive sword, designed with grips like a long reach grabber. So that patients in nursing homes can have some self defense against robbers. Either that, or egonomic knives for meat packing plant? 2490 cat carrier box, for the rich and famous cats

.

Stormin Mormon

Oh, bother. I bet you're right. My Dad used to use a waxer, to do cut and paste. He used to use a wooden thing to press down the waxed part. But, that could be just exactly it.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Looks like a wallpaper roller I have seen to get into corners and tight spots, or something having to do with rolling canvas on painting frames.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B
2485: Mail Scale? 2486: Flooring roller? 2487: Victrola Arm Needle? 2488: Can opener, tab puller 2489: Scissors, but for who or what? Sheep Shearers? 2490: Music Player?

Reply to
Kenefick

2485) A stylus (phonograph needle) pressure gauge. A fairly old one, given that there are two scales. The grams (red) scale is right for higher quality turntables and the Ounce scale (blue or black).

Note the two dimples in the flat spring -- the first quite near the end which is clamped, and the other perhaps 3/4" or 1" up from it.

The dimple closer to the clamp bar and screws is for the ounces scale, the one farther from them is for the grams scale. The needle is pressed in the appropriate dimple and the flat spring deflects to tell the stylus force.

2486) Intersting. Brass for weight. Knurled surface rollers for rolling something (adhesive tape, perhaps) into firm contact. The ball end could be used as a hammer to perhaps soften the surface a bit. The other end, with the cavity would not be good for hitting most things.

Could it perhaps be for patching inner tubes or tires casings?

2487) A seriously old phonograph tone arm -- purely acoustical, and likely from a wind up (spring driven) turntable. The needle moves a metal diaphragm through leverage, and the sound from that diaphragm travels through the hollow jointed arm (which increases in diameter and joins a tapered horn inside the housing to amplify the sound and feed it to the listeners.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that the stylus force from this one is above the range of the gauge in (2485) above.

2488) I don't know for sure, but I suspect that this is designed to open tin (food) cans, and then to serve as a handle on the opened (and likely heated) can -- say for cooking beans over a campfire. :-) 2489) Perhaps to strap to the legs of an animal (cattle, horse, whatever) to control wandering? 2490) Looks like some form of mailbox -- except for all the ventilation.

Given the unmounted telegraph key beside it, it may be part of a museum exhibit of communications devices and systems, so it might be for a carrier pigeon.

Sort of looks like some kind of image projector behind it. A bit large (and old) for 35mm slides, but it may work with some older "magic lantern" slides.

Now to send this off, and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good answer, this is correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

I forgot to include a link to the answers in my last post, I have a possible answer for the roller but I'm not 100% sure that it's correct:

Rob H.

[ ... ]

And here I was taking the blades to be leather straps instead, and the tangled part the working part. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

O.K. The compete image of the stylus pressure gauge confirms my earlier guess that it was rather old -- this time based on the drawing of the stylus (or "needle" as they call it, another point for it being old. :-) However, it is newer than the tone arm two photos down. :-)

Also -- for the last quality ones made, the scale needs to be expanded to allow distinguishing clearly between 1 gram and 0.75 gram. (I'm not sure that they ever went below that level. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

In that case your guess makes a lot more sense, I had no idea what you had in mind when I first read your post. The lighting wasn't very good where I took the photos so that's why they look a little less metallic than they would have otherwise.

Reply to
Rob H.