What is it? Set 424

Page 2 of 2
On 1/19/2012 14:20, Rob H. wrote:

http://www.oughtred.org/eos04/eos04d/rules04.html
Automatic Bombing Computer attatchment for the Norden bombsight, known to the Army Air Forces as the Automatic Bombing Computer and to the Navy as Low Altitude Bombing Attachment.
image is third from bottom of page

Excellent! Really nails this one down, thanks!

2459: Marking a tenon shoulder on the end of a round beam?

2455 is a WWI trench periscope. The upper lens is facing down and not visible in this photo.

Good answer, this is correct.
2460 Making a wild guess, based on the degrees of freedom, I suggest that this is an artillery aiming computer.
On 1/19/2012 4:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 1/19/2012 12:34 PM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

To be used on a map? I thought of "aiming accessory for a howitzer", but it looked like it might be too fragile.

I was thinking that it would be for a ship's gun. One input is compass heading, and it looks like the output at the bottom pointer is how far to lead or follow the target.

2457 Looks like something those sick puppies over at Opus Dei wear on their leg because life is not painful enough for them. The length is about right for a 7-8" diameter.

2455 Periscope 2456 Brush cleaner 2457 Corn drying racks? 2458 Pocket farrier's tool? 2459 Scribing tool for wood turning? 2460 Part of a planimeter?
Carl G.

2455)    Too much image data lost to jpeg compression for me to     have a clear enough view to be sure, and a view from each end     would help, too. But I'm going to assume that the pivot is also     a means for feeding something in -- a gas fuel, or a very high     frequency RF signal. The handle allows it to be swiveled to     point at something. If a fuel gas, to play the flame across     that something. If RF (microwave region) it could serve to     point an antenna at a similarly equipped station, or to survey     where a signal is coming from.
    A view from the handle end would show whether there was an     aperture and fitting for feeding something in there, and the     other end would show whether there was an opening for something     to exit or enter. I rather doubt that it is a fuel torch,     because I see no way to separately feed air or oxygen in to get a     balanced flame.
    And less jpeg compression would allow me to see whether the     center of the pivot mounting had an RF connector in it, or     simply threads for mounting it to something.
2456)    Not sure whether this is for cooking or for solvent cleaning     though I lean towards for solvent cleaning of something like     watch parts. The parts, after dipping (and likely ultrasonic     cleaning) could be hung from the spring at the top to drip back     into the cleaning pot.
2457)    Looks like one of those nasty strips that at least the Brits     thrown across a road to stop a runaway car. What is shown is     only a small part of the chain which could be formed, since it     is obvious that similar groupings could be coupled to what is     shown to make it long enough to reach across any road at need.
2458)    No clue at all. Is the end of the hook sharpened, or dull,     which cold determine whether it is to be used as a     chisel/scraper or as a lever to pry something out/apart.
2459)    This looks like a tool to scribe a line at a fixed distance     below the center of the end of some workpiece -- likely     cylindrical or at worst, square.
    The right angle point at the end of the longest piece is pushed     into the center of the end of the workpiece, and the rest is     pivoted around that.
    The diameter of the workpiece can be somewhat accommodated by     the three pivot points for the scribing arm, and by letting it     trail behind the upper arm accomodation for smaller changes in     diameter may be made.
2460)    Is this flat on the bottom so it could be placed on a chart?
    Is it secured to the wood by the bright screw visible above and     a little to the left of the dial?
    It looks like some form of navigation calculating instrument,     with provisions for cross winds or currents (at about any     angle), variable drag, and many other features.
    Whether for aircraft or marine use, I don't know.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

No luck yet identifying this device but the rest of the answers can be found here:
Thanks to everyone who helped solve the other two mystery items this week.
Rob

I think 2459 would be good for making grooves in a clay object.
On 1/20/2012 11:46 AM, Joe keane wrote:

Hmmm...if the work is already on potter's wheel, a comb (or lots of other things that are easier to clean) might suffice?

Hi Rob, coming late this week, answers already published, i see that item 2459 is still unresolved. It miust be some kind of a cat- carrier... http://www.google.de/search?q t-carrier&tbm=isch&biw55&bih1&sei=hNMbT50G0anxA7qB-bML
greetings from germany
(no, i am joking, i love cats)

http://www.google.de/search?q t-carrier&tbm=isch&biw55&bih1&sei=hNMbT50G0anxA7qB-bML
That's a classic! If anyone ever makes a real one of those maybe I'll post it on the site.

In 1978 me and a mate (both 18 years old at the time) went on holiday from England on our motorbikes to tour France. For both of us it was our first holiday away from parents and a big adventure. We took an evening ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, drove for an hour or so in the dark, found a field to put the tent up in overnight and set off properly next morning. Shortly afterwards at a tricky junction my idiot friend who was more a car driver than a full time competent biker failed to stop in time, lost it and crashed into the back of me, wrecking his front forks which bent like bananas when his front wheel hit my rear one but fortunately doing no damage to my bike or me. A French woman in the house he crashed outside heard it happen and ran out to help us. My friend had injured his hand a bit when he fell off, his bike was unrideable and they put us up over the weekend while he got better.
We set off again, both of us now just on my bike on the Monday, toured France for the remaining 10 days and collected his poorly bike in a van when we got back. At dinner that night they showed us a comedy drawing of what was labelled a Porte Chien Belge (Belgian dog carrier). The French look on the Belgians a bit like the English look on the Irish. Their hard of thinking cousins.
http://maxeville.voxdany.com.over-blog.com/article-nouveau-et-pratique-le-porte-chien-invention-belge-73838546.html
So that's at least how old that joke is. Happy memories though.
--
Dave Baker