What is it? Set 422

I need some help with the second and third items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

#2443 Offers a fancy way of chalkin' a billiard cue stick?
Bill wrote:

Looking at the subsequent pic, maybe it trims yer seegar??

If it's *not* a cigar cutter, I really don't want to know what it's for.
Dave

Cigar cutter is correct
On 1/5/2012 6:39 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2447 . bread baking tin /mold used to make/bake the Tank loaf as we call it here in OZ.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Kevin(Bluey) wrote the following:

Looks like it. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bread-Pan-3-Set-Tank-Loaf-/180494277244
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

2443)    Quite old, based on the decorative design.
    It almost looks like an early version of the drill press     adaptors for electric hand drills, except that it looks too old     for that.
    Perhaps for holding a brace and bit perpendicular, except that     it would require conscious pressing of the chuck area against     the 'U' on the top.
    But almost any use which I can think of does not explain why it     comes in near one end of the egg-shaped cavity instead of in the     middle where it is deeper (unless it is for drilling holes in     the ends of an elliptical plaque for screws to affix it to     something) -- perhaps a license for a taxi or a plaque showing     that the owners of the house have contributed the proper     donation to the fire department (sort of a private enterprise in     those days, not a tax-supported activity.)
    Even a semi automated mortar and pestle holder/guide would want     to hit somewhere other than at the end as this one does.
2444)    Output former for an early pasta maker? But why so thick for     the holes to pass through?
2445)    For repetitive cutting of something to a preset length (set by     the J-shaped object with the knurled thumbscrew to lock it in     position.
    At a guess, the thing which is cut is something like a small     angle iron (and thin metal -- perhaps like a tin can).
    Hmm ... another look suggests that it is for cutting through the     insulation on electrical wire, forming a cut through the     insulation so it can be bent a bit and then pulled off.
2446)    A pure guess, but something to recycle the oil from salads.
2447)    Each wire bail on an end pulls over the other side and snaps     there to hold that end closed.
    Fairly old, since it is tin plated steel not plastic as it would     be today.
    No clue what it holds. If it were a little newer, perhaps a     stack of 45 RPM recordings, but too old for that.
    Perhaps for transporting plates as used by a caterer?
2448)    Too short to be a walking stick. Too long for many other     things, including a seal for wax seals on documents. Unless it     also had ceremonial significance.
    Now to post and check what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
> 2445) For repetitive cutting of something to a preset length (set by

I think this is a good description of its basic use, I did some patent searching on it but no luck so far.

On 1/5/2012 3:09 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Rob, I think 2447 was a cake pan for a dense coffee cake kind of thing my mother used to dearly love.
___________________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . Dan G

#2447 - Looks like it is designed to rotate--like a "rock tumbler".
2446 - tooth pick holder?
2448 - Guess - Looks like some kind of tamp or compactor on one end. The other end would be used to wedge, manipulate or align whatever is to be tamped or compacted. Some kind of chinking tool. The flat end would be used to wedge the packing into a crevice and the flat end is hammered, driving the packing deeper into the crevice.
Sonny

I agree that it's some type of tamper, hard to say exactly for what.
I'm only 100% sure about three of them this week, but think we are close on some of the others, just lacking in specifics. My answers for this set can be seen here:
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

# 2448 is almost certainly a tamping device used with sand molds . Pretty long , most I've seen are around a foot long or so .
--
Snag
Learning keeps