What is it? Set 419

Page 1 of 2
The answers for this set will be posted on Friday as usual but I'm not sure if I'll be able to post any replies between now and then.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2425: football supporters portable stitching machine 2426: VDU cable joint 2427: adjustable horseshoe 2428: Curtain rail support 2429: geyser cleaner 2430: Meerkat exercise machine
--
[dash dash space newline 4line sig]

Albi CNU

2426 Inline ferrite bead on a cable to control electromagnetic emissions.

This is correct, most people probably have several of these on their computer cords.

    Yes -- but the photo made me think of it as steel -- hot oil dipped to surface treat it for rust. A pity that it was not a gray cord instead of a black one. I might have spotted it then. (Or if the wire had shown some bend instead of appearing straight like steel rod. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Rob H. wrote:

Picking nits, 'to control *conducted* electromagnetic interference' is more accurate. These ferrites do almost nothing to control 'radiated' electromagnetic emissions.
--Winston
2425 Guess: A tool for marking or engraving radial marks on a watchface. A changeable gear (top of the drawing, near Fig. 1) sets the angular spacing, with the pawls (S) doing the indexing. A marking or engraving tool (K) marks the workpiece with radial lines, activated by (L). Internal ratchet/pawl (D,H) makes different length lines periodically.
2427 Another guess: A portable press, but why the spring?... Because whatever is being pressed has a variable, unpredictable thickness. I'll guess something like leather. So this is to install grommets in leather harnesses.
2430 Some sort of optical comparator. The user looks into the eyepiece at the top, sees a split image of somethings on the round stages. Adjust the knobs 'till something in the images match. Use? I'll guess to compare mineral grain sizes.
On 12/14/2011 4:09 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Or stained bacterial/specimen slides. The mirrors below the specimen "plate" would allow light to reflect/shine from below, onto/through the specimen... a similar feature on old microscopes (I have one).
Sonny

I think this one is an arm exerciser but I haven't been able to prove it or rule out that it's some type of tool.
Forgot to mention earlier that the colorimeter was tagged as a microscope with a price of $135, I figured that if it was really a microscope it would be worth more than that, but was almost certain it was misidentified. I found the answer and decided not to buy it, and when I went back a few days later to take some better photos it had been purchased by someone else.
Still not sure about two of them this week, answers for the other four can be seen here:
Rob

threads are 1/4-27 that would support this. Gas lamp piping also used this thread so the item may be from the gas lighting era too. I have no idea what the item is or was used for though. Art

I think 2428 is a hash pipe made into a belt buckle.
Paul K. Dickman

That's pretty funny, it does look like a belt buckle, you might have nailed it.

Adding a screen into the "bowl" would be all that was needed for a hash pipe. Good call. Art
"Rob H." wrote

shoe.. They are that shape and this probably could have been used in this fashion. But most of the iron shoes I have seen are much simpler and had just a spring across the two arms. But this does look like it has a very similar action. Judging by the age, style, etc., it would have been a high end model of an iron shoe if it was in fact an iron shoe. Perhaps it was an original model and they came out with the cheaper version later with just a spring across the two arms. These were quite common a hundred years ago and the cheap version were sold up to about 30 - 40 years ago. I remember seeing them in gyms as a kid.
Here is an old ad for one.
<http://books.google.com/books?id=wygDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=%22iron+shoe%22+exerciser+arms&source=bl&ots=XkFvfkXw02&sig=HuT9njB_J8gx30WML3Ac8sitWQY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WATsTu34MoKRiQLi89GIBA&sqi=2&ved EMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22iron%20shoe%22%20exerciser%20arms&flse>
They were called an iron shoe because they resemble a horse shoe. I tried to find more info on them but this is an old item and they are just not out there any more. I did find a few folks who remember them and wanted to find them. Old ones are prized by collectors of strong man memorabilia.

<http://books.google.com/books?id=wygDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=%22iron+shoe%22+exerciser+arms&source=bl&ots=XkFvfkXw02&sig=HuT9njB_J8gx30WML3Ac8sitWQY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WATsTu34MoKRiQLi89GIBA&sqi=2&ved EMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22iron%20shoe%22%20exerciser%20arms&flse>
Thanks, I think that iron shoe is correct, this will be my answer until I see evidence to the contrary.

2429 is a drain snake, for pulling out hair balls, and the like.

2430 Looks like an antique instrument to measure the comparative optical density of chemical solutions to determine concentration. If that is what this is, a standard solution is placed on one side in a glass cylinder, and the unkown on the other, and the optical path lengths are adjusted until the transmission appears equal. The concentration is calculated from the ratio of path lengths. It could also be used to measure turbity of fine particle suspensions as in water quality.

This description is correct, it's called a colorimeter.
2428 looks like a siphon assembly for pulling liquid through the small pipe and spray it out the end of the larger pipe when air or another fluid flows through the larger pipe
--
Peter DiVergilio
"A bumblebee flies faster than a Kubota tractor"

2425)    I could tell that the hooked arms were designed to engage a     gear as a form of escapement even before I scrolled down to the     patent drawing.
    And the drawing shows in addition a coarser escapement between     the plates.
    however -- its actual function is a different matter. I would     expect a flat wind-up spring in there somewhere, but it is not     present (though some other things which are missing from the     photographed item are present.)
    It would appear that there is some kind of scribing tool which     draws a line on the external gear.
    It would also appear that there is a second bulbous handle to     slide on the pivot controlling the external escapement -- or the     original one can be slid off the primary shaft and not the     secondary one.
    At a guess, it might be a tool for holding a blank and filing     gear teeth onto it, but I would need more drawings, a complete     object to examine, or the full descriptive text in the patent to     figure it out for sure.
2426)    *Way* too little shown to be able to form a guess.
    Are there two shafts, or just one passing through the central     object.
    Is the central object rigidly fixed to the shaft(s)? Could it     be a simple free turning handle for thumb and finger gripping on     a small crank?
    Could at least one shaft be removed, and an old toy gun paper     cap be placed in there, and the other smartly slapped onto it to     detonate the cap? (If so, I would expect more vents from the     inside to the outside.
    Could it be a free-sliding weight on a shaft, used to impart     momentum to the shaft and whatever it is attached to?
2427)    Not sure what it is from, but it is some kind of spring loaded     assembly where the arms can be pulled a fairly long distance as     the spring compresses in comparison to the length of the spring.
    It *might* have some kind of latch connected to the button in     the center, so you could cock the arms apart, and then hit the     button to power something sudden.
2428)    Hard to be sure what it is made of. Part of it appears to be     copper, based on the Verdi-gris on it, but the right hand arm     appears to be wood, with a piece chipped out.
    Some kind of scientific equipment from long ago perhaps.
    Or -- part of something like a Hookah?
2429)    Nasty looking thing.
    Before I saw the close-up, I was thinking something like a     "Chinese finger trap" used for pulling cables through conduit or     the like.
    But the close-up looks like something related to barbed wire,     but designed to be pulled through a gap to act as a saw.
2430)    Perhaps a scientific device for measuring relative humidity, if     there are thermometers in the protected glass tubes. Each would     be connected to the metal plate sticking out in front, one would     be dry, and the other contain a fabric soaked in water, and both     would be subjected to airflow, so the relative cooling from     evaporation of the water would allow calculation of the relative     humidity.
    The knobs appear to be for adjusting the height of a relative     reference line on each thermometer.
    Not sure what locks into the base, however.
    Two alternative possibilities:
    a)    Used for measuring differential pressure, with the tubes         partially filled with mercury.
    b)    Bubble levels. Not sure why two in parallel, but it         could be that.
    Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Not really fair to put up this number of serious puzzlers and then go out of town.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail