What is it? Set 416

Page 2 of 2

Yes, the owner said it was for preheating the early Hit/miss oil field gasoline engines. Thanks for the link, I couldn't find another one of these torches on the web.

2407: stirling cycle engine
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 04:53:17 -0500, Rob H. wrote:

Well i can see it Rob so it looks like it worked wooo hoo

2407 - Stirling engine 2408 - Looks like the bar is to knock down whatever you are collecting with the tines. Hand collecting grain? 2409 - Best guess, a crimper for decorative metal foil ribbon. 2410 - Yup, Welder's Slag Hammer with a reground tip and no brush. 2411 - Wool carding hand tool 2412 - Vertical gasoline blowtorch - for a lead melting pot or other stationary uses.
On 11/24/2011 3:53 AM, Rob H. wrote: First is an Essex air engine...sold as toys in old Monkey-Ward cagalog and larger versions used for light power applications--arcade games amongst them.
On 11/24/2011 4:27 PM, dpb wrote:

Here's a page of interest re:
<http://www.stirlingengines.org.uk/manufact/manf/usa/ess.html
Thanks for the info. The patent: http://ip.com/patent/US723660 is particularly good, in that it is short and clearly explains how it works. Tricky, using a loosely fitting displacer piston.
On 11/24/2011 5:29 PM, dpb wrote:

Yes, it's a hot air engine, 1/40th hp for running a fan or other light duty devices.

2407)    Looks like a Stirling heat engine. Not sure what it is     intended to power but the groove on the flywheel looks like a     match for the belt on the old foot treadle powered sewing     machines, which would be a reasonable load for this kind of     engine.
2408)    Perhaps for digging up potatos.
2409)    Looks like something to feed and (perhaps split) some ribbon     form of workpiece. It feeds through the pair of gears with     grooves. Whether it feeds out the U-shaped guide shown on the     near side or feeds in through that is not yet clear. If the     width of the guide matches the width of the workpiece, then the     gears will punch two rows of holes near the edges of the     workpiece -- leaving it looking something like movie film.
2410)    Perhaps a grate shaker for an old wood stove, or a coal fueled     furnace.
2411)    No clue -- other than nasty to have sliding against your skin.     Perhaps part of a wool carding setup?
2412)    Gasoline or kerosene fired heater -- looks like a modification     of the old plumber's blowtorch.
    Now to post this and then go see what others have suggested. (It does not help that the punkin' chunkin' TV special is on while I'm typing. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

They do! Thanks for putting up with this furor.
--
" Well you can't trust a special like the old time coppers
When you can't find your way 'ome"
On 11/24/11 4:53 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2408 looks good for controlling weeds that spread by stolons, such as Bermuda (devil's) grass and English ivy. The blade would serve as a depth gage so you won't damage desirable roots. The curved tines would pull stolons above ground level so you can yank them out.
says...

2408 Hand Harrow
2411 Ice Shaver with pick in the handle

Rob, Just a thought on 2408. May be a garden tool, but also makes me think of something grab loose straw or hay with, as the tines look a little light for digging in dirt.The sping loaded piece looks like something to keep the tines from stabbing into unwanted areas, or to help push stuff off of te tines. nORM

My guess for 2409:
2409 looks a lot like a machine for bending rods or tubing. The crank would feed the rod/tubing between the toothed wheels. The handle would control the bend radius.
I also use Eternal September, and for the first time in months I saw Rob's initial post.
Rob: Keep up the good work. Over 2000 objects, and you are still finding interesting and puzzling objects. Thank you!
Carl G.

Sounds like a good use for it, I'll mention this to the owner and see what he has to say.