What is it? Set 416

Page 1 of 2
This week's set is ready, I haven't changed anything here since the newsgroup service provider said they would look into the problem of dropped posts, hopefully they have it figured out by now.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

That's the first original post I've seen by yourself in months, so looks like ES have sorted it.

Glad to hear that they fixed the problem!
Rob H. wrote: )
) )>> This week's set is ready, I haven't changed anything here since the )>> newsgroup service provider said they would look into the problem of )>> dropped posts, hopefully they have it figured out by now.)>> )>> http://55tools.blogspot.com /)>> )>> )>> Rob)> )> That's the first original post I've seen by yourself in months, so looks )> like ES have sorted it.)> )> D) ) ) Glad to hear that they fixed the problem!
Except that in this post you wrote something different (the comment about not having changed anything), so it wouldn't trigger the 'almost exact same post' filter. By stating that you didn't do anything different, you did something different. Heisenbug, indeed!
SaSW, Willem

Exactly!
Is this that dead cat thing? :)
--
William

2407 I'll guess an air-compressor. Belt driven from the flywheel. The cooling fins are what make me think it is a compressor, rather than an air motor.
On 11/24/2011 4:53 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2407 A couple of people have stated that this is a Stirling engine. I was led to discount that possibility because of 2 factors: Both cylinders seem to have cooling fins, while one cylinder of a Stirling engine is heated. The pistons, unless there is an interesting gear arrangement in the middle, seem to be 180 degrees out of phase, rather than 90 degrees for a Stirling engine. If this is a Stirling engine, can someone explain how it works?
On 11/24/2011 6:15 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:38:52 -0500, Alexander Thesoso

I'd need to see it up closer, because that sure looks like an alcohol burner in the middle at first glance... but two cylinder Stirling with the hot sections common in the middle.
--<< Bruce >>--

You're right about it being an alcohol burner in the middle, my answer for this is that it's a hot air engine, I don't know if it's considered some type of Stirling engine or not, I'll let someone else answer that question.
Still not sure about two of the items this week but the rest of the answers can be seen here:
Rob
On 11/25/2011 4:13 PM, Rob H. wrote: ...

Strictly speaking and by current convention, no.
'Stirling engine' should refer exclusively to a closed-cycle regenerative heat engine with a permanently gaseous working fluid.
These aren't.

Hey, I resemble that remark.
-T.E.Stosterone

    How about that! It actually says that running sewing machines is one of its uses - and that was what I had suggested based on the pulley groove being similar to the old foot-treadle operated sewing machine which my grandmother had and which I played with as a kid.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Rob H. wrote:

I believe #2412 is a blowtorch for use with a lead pot . Plumbers useta use them for making joints in cast iron drain pipes .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 11/24/2011 5:40 AM, Snag wrote:

I did not do well on any of this puzzle's mysteries other than the blow torch I agree with Snag about the plumber's lead pot. Here is an overly simple picture: http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14265/css/14265_81.htm
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

I'm sure it could also be used by a plumber but according to the owner it was used for a different purpose other than soldering or melting lead.

2410: A welders chipping hammer. It is missing the brush on the back. No question about it. The chisel end has been ground to a point, it is usually a straight chisel edge new.

This is correct, some people also call it a welders slag hammer.
On 11/24/2011 3:53 AM, Rob H. wrote:

I wonder if the #2411 is some type of carpet stretcher
Yep, found one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Carpet-Stretcher-PATD-1889-CM-Mallory-Albion-NY-/360394470684
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Rob H. wrote the following:

2410 appears to be a slag remover for a welder.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY