What is it? Set 413

Just posted this week's set:

Rob H.

2389 novelty nutcracker 2390 is a cannon tamper 2391 is a fence tensioner! 2392 standard depth hole tester 2393 keeps the sheets off a burns victim? 2394 is obviously *now* a key ring!
Reply to
Harry Vaderchi
2389: broken spray painter 2390: wwi boot camp training tool, gun simulator 2391: pry bar 2392: leather working tool 2393: more book shelf organizers 2394: ship portal lock
Reply to
Michael Kenefick

2389- if it looked 0.001% more like a saw handle I'd say it's a saw handle.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

2392 Tension spring installer
Reply to
Phil Kangas

Reply to
lektric dan

weapon in the Revolution. An American officer could signal in the noise of battle and protect his men from bayonets as they reloaded. A quarter of a century later, Lewis and Clark carried spontoons to Oregon.

Logically, spontoons should have been useful until officers had revolvers and soldiers had breech loaders. I imagine 2390 could be a spontoon with a retractable blade. That would make it safer, easier to carry in woods, and less likely to show an enemy where the officers were.

Reply to
J Burns

I agree that it looks like a spring tool, not sure exactly what kind though, haven't been able to find one on the web just like it.

Reply to
Rob H.

2389) Not enough views to allow a reasonable guess, unless you are someone who has seen one before -- and I am not. :-) 2390) At a guess, it is what the soldiers in a trench just below the targets on a military firing range use to reach up and change or patch the targets.

Being in the trench, they are safe from the bullets, and being just in front of the targets, they can call out how good the hits were -- and put up fresh target boards.

2391) At a guess -- a tool for disassembling wooden crates to allow unpacking the contents. The hinged 'C' will allow the left hand to pull up on the claw while the right hand uses the normal leverage. With just the right dimensions, the free end of the 'C' could be put on the floor to allow using it as the stable point for leverage. 2392) Perhaps a tool for removing primers from fired cartridges to allow reloading them. In particular, perhaps for the Berdan primers (more common in European military cartridges) instead of the Boxer primers more common in US cartridges. 2393) Perhaps to drape pup tent halves over for drying? 2394) I presume that the key allows the ring to be separated from the forked bottom. Perhaps something like a captive oarlock, if there is enough play in the join of the two parts.

A more than usually puzzling set this week.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Werll there's room for one!

Reply to
Harry Vaderchi

"Assembly is the reverse of unassembly."

Reply to
Harry Vaderchi

Yeah, tell that to that box of loose watch parts. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

-- is this sig delimiter working?

Reply to
Rich Grise

And "disassembly is how you take apart datassembly".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi