What is it? Set 410

I need help with three of them this week:

Rob H.

2375. Anchor 2376. Gimbaled ships lamp. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

2371 Cray 1 Computer
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Made of wood?

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Tough part is trying to answer without peeking at previous answers, anyway:

2371- Model of a Cray supercomputer, too lazy to google which one 2372

2373

2374- easy to say machinists angle block, but that big hole is for something... small but shiny one over on tractorshed.com

2375- drag (maybe not the correct term) anchor, not for keeping the boat in one spot but for keeping it facing into the current

2376- olympic torch used by the US, again too lazy to google from when

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

2374 milling jig
Reply to
J Burns

Ok, you got me. I did an immediate shape recognition, and didn't look at the size and fine detail. This is a model of a Cray 1 computer.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2371 - Model of a Cray 1

2372 - Looks like a set of trammel points and some other pieces.

2373 - Resembles a locking breech block

2374 -

2375 - Old wooden anchor or grapple

2376 - Gimbaled ships lantern. Possibly a masthead lamp.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks, I figured it was for a machinist but didn't know the name of it, found similar ones searching on angle block but ever more when I searched angle plate.

Reply to
Rob H.

2371) This looks like a scale model of the Cray-1 supercomputer.

as an example of the size, those steps could be used (and were used) for seating.

2372) Looks somewhat related to a drafting or a mechanical layout tool.

2373) Some interesting form of lock?

2374) Machinist's angle plate -- used for precision (pre the layer of rust coating shown) setups and as a precision right angle reference.

It can be bolted to a machine's table, and the workpiece bolted to it to hold it in the proper orientation for the work.

2375) Looks like an upside down and very primitive version of a ship's capstan. For winding up lengths of rope in this case, not chain which was often used for anchors on a true ship's capstan.

2376) Some form of oil fueled lamp -- and based on the photo behind it, it may be an "eternal flame" to honor someone who is gone.

But it also appears to be gimbaled, as would be common on a shipboard lamp.

Now to spell check this, post it, and go on to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Not at 12" height -- but a *model* of a Cray-1 supercomptuer, yes I agree.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
2376, Olympic torch. 2373 Night Watchman's key

Reply to
tiredofspam

2373 -- at a size of 2", it's too small to be the real thing, but it looks like the magazine from a Model 1893 Colt Bulldog Gatling gun (see
it could be the magazine from a scale model of the weapon.
Reply to
srmalloy

#2371 A cray-1 supercomputer. Circular to get the wire lengths short. #2376 A lamp

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks, this is probably the best guess that I've heard for it, the only difference is that the slot should be 90 degrees closer to the ring but other than that it looks very close.

Still not sure about the second item but the rest of the answers for this set have been posted:

Rob H.

Hmmm ... still a bit small for the working models designed to fire .22 LR cartridges, so I guess that it is not a working model. I doubt that it would even work with .177 caliber.

exposed shot of the two parts near the legs at the right hand end might help.

In your description of (2374) -- was that a description of how it was found being used? It normally was not attached to a workbench, but rather to the T-slotted moving cast iron table which was part of a milling machine or perhaps a vertical turret lathe.

The large hole (which others commented on) was simply a way of somewhat reducing the weight that the gusset which fills the 'V' to increase rigidity would add to the plate. The part closest to the V adds little rigidity, and adds more weight proportionally than it is worth.

The 'V' on one face is to keep a cylindrical part vertical The tapped holes are for bolting workpieces to the angle plate, or to use with hold-down clamps to hold the workpiece to the plate without having to drill holes into the workpieces.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Good catch, I got the description from the Wikipedia link where they had said it was attached to a work table, and I mistakenly wrote work bench instead. I just fixed my answer and added your description of it being attached to a "T-slotted moving cast iron table which was part of a milling machine." Thanks!

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.