What is it? Set 410

I need help with three of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2375. Anchor 2376. Gimbaled ships lamp. Thanks Karl

2371 Cray 1 Computer
NO!
On 10/13/2011 06:24 AM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

Ok, you got me. I did an immediate shape recognition, and didn't look at the size and fine detail. This is a model of a Cray 1 computer.
On 10/13/2011 8:37 AM, Michael Kenefick wrote:

    Not at 12" height -- but a *model* of a Cray-1 supercomptuer, yes I agree.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Made of wood?

2374 milling jig
2376, Olympic torch. 2373 Night Watchman's key

2371 concept model of a Cray I supercomputer Lloyd
Rob H. wrote:

Tough part is trying to answer without peeking at previous answers, anyway:
2371- Model of a Cray supercomputer, too lazy to google which one
2372
2373
2374- easy to say machinists angle block, but that big hole is for something... small but shiny one over on tractorshed.com
2375- drag (maybe not the correct term) anchor, not for keeping the boat in one spot but for keeping it facing into the current
2376- olympic torch used by the US, again too lazy to google from when
Dave

Thanks, I figured it was for a machinist but didn't know the name of it, found similar ones searching on angle block but ever more when I searched angle plate.
Rob H. wrote:

2371 - Model of a Cray 1
2372 - Looks like a set of trammel points and some other pieces.
2373 - Resembles a locking breech block
2374 -
2375 - Old wooden anchor or grapple
2376 - Gimbaled ships lantern. Possibly a masthead lamp.
--
Steve W.

2371)    This looks like a scale model of the Cray-1 supercomputer.
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-1>
    as an example of the size, those steps could be used (and were     used) for seating.
2372)    Looks somewhat related to a drafting or a mechanical layout tool.
2373)    Some interesting form of lock?
2374)    Machinist's angle plate -- used for precision (pre the layer of     rust coating shown) setups and as a precision right angle     reference.
    It can be bolted to a machine's table, and the workpiece bolted     to it to hold it in the proper orientation for the work.
2375)    Looks like an upside down and very primitive version of a     ship's capstan. For winding up lengths of rope in this case,     not chain which was often used for anchors on a true ship's     capstan.
2376)    Some form of oil fueled lamp -- and based on the photo behind     it, it may be an "eternal flame" to honor someone who is gone.
    But it also appears to be gimbaled, as would be common on a     shipboard lamp.
    Now to spell check this, post it, and go on to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2373 -- at a size of 2", it's too small to be the real thing, but it looks like the magazine from a Model 1893 Colt Bulldog Gatling gun (see
http://autryvoices.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/90_183_3.jpg ); it could be the magazine from a scale model of the weapon.

Thanks, this is probably the best guess that I've heard for it, the only difference is that the slot should be 90 degrees closer to the ring but other than that it looks very close.
Still not sure about the second item but the rest of the answers for this set have been posted:
Rob

    Hmmm ... still a bit small for the working models designed to fire .22 LR cartridges, so I guess that it is not a working model. I doubt that it would even work with .177 caliber.

    O.K. I'm interested in what (2372) turns out to be. A better exposed shot of the two parts near the legs at the right hand end might help.
    In your description of (2374) -- was that a description of how it was found being used? It normally was not attached to a workbench, but rather to the T-slotted moving cast iron table which was part of a milling machine or perhaps a vertical turret lathe.
    The large hole (which others commented on) was simply a way of somewhat reducing the weight that the gusset which fills the 'V' to increase rigidity would add to the plate. The part closest to the V adds little rigidity, and adds more weight proportionally than it is worth.
    The 'V' on one face is to keep a cylindrical part vertical The tapped holes are for bolting workpieces to the angle plate, or to use with hold-down clamps to hold the workpiece to the plate without having to drill holes into the workpieces.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Good catch, I got the description from the Wikipedia link where they had said it was attached to a work table, and I mistakenly wrote work bench instead. I just fixed my answer and added your description of it being attached to a "T-slotted moving cast iron table which was part of a milling machine." Thanks!
Rob

#2371 A cray-1 supercomputer. Circular to get the wire lengths short. #2376 A lamp