What is it? Set 406

Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2347. spar torpedo 2348. heater 2352. picket

2352 abatis
email.me:

An Abatis is made of whole felled trees with the (sometimes sharpened) branches pointing toward the enemy.
The defense shown in the picture can also be called a Fraise, but American Colonial fighters called it a palisade. Another type of palisade is where the stakes are upright and close enough together to form a wall.
LLoyd

Thanks. According to the 1836 treatise Dennis Hart Mahan wrote for the US Military Academy, a palisade was a kind of picket fence, vertical or nearly vertical. The stakes were triangular split rails 10.5 feet long with 3" spaces and connected by bars near the top and bottom. Mahan said a fraise was constructed the same way but was horizontal or nearly horizontal.
Mahan said an abatis could be made of interlaced branches with the smaller branches removed and the ends sharpened. It seems to me that if you want to make an abatis from branches, you might want to start with pointed stakes firmly in the ground and nearly horizontal.
As it is, it looks to me as if the structure might stop a cavalry charge, but I don't know what it would be called in that case.

The web site where I got the image refers to it as an abatis, palisade is correct but I think a lot of people don't go by the strict definition and use both words interchangably.
2347: Shark catcher from Jaws? 2348: Kaleidoscope? 2349: Rifle barrel mold? 2350: 2351: 2352: Getting ready to make a fence?
On 09/15/2011 04:09 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2347 was the Hunley's torpedo
2352 Palisade

2349 is a seaming stake for making sheetmetal pipe 2351 is an automatic drift for removing machine tapers (Morse 2, B&S 9) as are used in drill chuck arbors. My guess on 2348 it that it's a big honkin' resistor.
Paul K. Dickman

Correct, the owner called it a stovepipe anvil.

Sounds like a good answer, I'll pass this on to the owner of this tool.

Here's a photo of a modern equivalent. http://www.nolansupply.com/bysubcategory.asp?category=Machinery&supercategory=Milling+Machine+Accessories+-+Drill+Drifts&subcategory=XACT+Semi-Automatic+Drill+Drifts%26nbsp%3B&type lse&specs=True
Hope the link works.
Paul K. Dickman

2347: Fence wire tensioner 2348: bug zapper
2351: roach clip 2352: row-o-pikes

2352: Fraise
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

2351 Fingernail maintenance implement (file, etc.)?
Bill
"Rob H." wrote in message
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2348 ballast resistor
2352 the Arab word Zariba comes to mind
Here are the answers for this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/09/set-406_15.html#answers
Thanks to everyone who helped identify the unknown items in this set.
Rob