What is it? Set 405

J Burns fired this volley in news:j4besl$c00$1@dont- email.me:

Bamboo and cane are bent by application of heat (usually a gas flame), not water. They are innately _loaded_ with water as they come out of the ground, and don't tend to distort much either when completely dry or when re-moistened.

Thats why (if you remember) the best slide rules (back in the day) were made of bamboo. It was dimensionally stable at pretty much all moisture contents.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The ring clamps the other two parts together and possibly holds a blade, the image below is a close-up of the under side of the pivoting piece, there are some marks that may have come from a scraper that was held there.

owner said that he was surprised that the ring was still with the tool and not lost, but it does fit very tightly and does not come off easily.

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks, Lloyd, I always wondered about that. But it's been so long I'd forgotten to wonder.

Reply to
R. Scanlon

2341) Some sort of clamp to hold perhaps wood together for gluing or perhaps bolting/screwing together. Given the teeth, it is certainly not intended to be used on furniture or other exposed/decorative surfaces. 2342) They look a bit large for the purpose, but it could be something like "boiling chips" intended to be used in the bottom of a test tube or beaker to provide nucleation sources so you don't wind up with superheated water suddenly bursting into steam and harming people nearby -- including the experimenter. (This problem happens most with really clean surfaces, and distilled or at least deionized water. (Can happen with water heated in a *very* clean coffee cup in a microwave too. Nothing happens until you put something into the water after it rises above normal boiling temperature -- sprinkle in some sugar or salt, or reach in with a spoon to stir it.) 2343) These look like something to exchange stale air for fresh in underground compartments. The second one, in particular, looks designed to provide breathing air to someone perhaps accidentally buried alive, given the coffin shown in the drawing.

Perhaps it also pops up a signal to indicate that "the stiff" is not quite that stiff and would like out, please. :-)

2344) These look vastly different in scale, (not provided), which makes identification more difficult.

The first almost looks like a magnet on the back of something for mounting to a metal surface. (Another view might help.)

The second looks a bit too small for the first guess of it being a pie crimper. Perhaps it is intended to roll and mark a surface.

But other than the fact that both are photographs (and puzzle entries), they seem to have nothing in common.

2345) Hmm ... I think that this *could* be used for removing the railroad spikes and clamp plates normally used to clamp rails to wooden ties. Put the ends of the fork under the plate, holding the handle in the left hand, and using the right hand to swing another sledge hammer to drive it under the plate and around the spike. 2346) First -- a question: Is the oval ring steel or rubber?

If steel, it could be used to lock the two parts together to grip something -- perhaps akin to the pop tabs on beverage cans. Or it could be to hold a tin can over a flame for rough cooking.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2341: The quality of the steel makes me think this is some sort of surgical tool, possibly for holding a large opening closed without stitches or holding two bone segments or two muscles together.
Reply to
humunculus

That's it! The tool is for holding leather over a shoe mold when attaching the sole. Still don't know for sure what the last one is but the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob H.

That is a smooth side and a tooth side clamp used in Taxidermy. Teeth are for making either a firm grip - but at the same time it makes threading holes.

Not a toy.

Should see the hand tool I have - pliers with wide bed of nail grippers.

Mart> >> I could use some assistance with the last item in this set:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn