What is it? Set 405

Page 1 of 2
I could use some assistance with the last item in this set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
On 9/8/2011 4:19 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2343: looks like a device they would attach in the old days to a coffin, jic the person was still alive.
2346: type of scraper, the part that flips down and is held by the ring would hold the 'knife' in place.

And the hooks, on each end, would be attached to a "cord" to pull (from the inside) and to ring a bell (on the outside), hence, saved by the bell.
Sonny

..just in case they were a 'dead ringer'.
2344 is the button on the bottom of a stapler to rotate the plate and change the direction of the bend.

..just in case they were a 'dead ringer'.
2344 is the button on the bottom of a stapler to rotate the plate and change the direction of the bend.
Correct, one is a Stanley and the other a Swingline stapler.

Always thought 'saved by the bell' was a boxing term...

Nope
I think this is probably correct but haven't been able to prove it.
On 9/8/11 7:32 AM, tnik wrote:

I wonder how they bend bamboo tines at Jake's Rake Repair Center. You could bend the end of the tine in this clamp and soak the end of the clamp in a pan of water, upside down from what's pictured. When it dries, you should have a tine with a hooked end.
email.me:

Bamboo and cane are bent by application of heat (usually a gas flame), not water. They are innately _loaded_ with water as they come out of the ground, and don't tend to distort much either when completely dry or when re-moistened.
Thats why (if you remember) the best slide rules (back in the day) were made of bamboo. It was dimensionally stable at pretty much all moisture contents.
LLoyd
In article
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Thanks, Lloyd, I always wondered about that. But it's been so long I'd forgotten to wonder.
--
Ray Scanlon

On 9/8/2011 3:19 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The sledge hammer/claw device looks like a BIG version of a tie rod end separator. I'm guessing that the hammer was not for hitting, but to BE hit by another sledge while another operator held the parting fork on the work.
Perhaps (and especially due to the angle), this was used to pull bolts or rivets out of large iron work.
LLoyd

I would guess railroad spikes.
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I would guess it is either a special made pickle fork for separating ball joints or it is a special made break-off hammer used at a foundry for separating gating components from castings.

Railroad spike puller is correct, as Lloyd said it was hit on the other end to loosen them.
Rob H. wrote:

2341 Used on a politician to keep his mouth shut.
--
Gerald Ross

It's easy to be brave from a safe distance.
On 9/8/2011 8:24 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

2346: a "scraper" with replaceable blades (missing)?
Bill

2343 Fuzes for landmines.
writes:

Good answer, they work similar to landmines but the application is different.
2342: Whisky stones.
Rob - stop using images which can be found via TinEye.