What is it? Set 404

Page 2 of 2
2340 - vintage floating turtle trap
Sonny
On 9/1/2011 4:03 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2337: For working with (moving/loading?) bales of cotton? The spring which evidently helps provide self-cleaning looks like a nice feature!
Bill

    I'd diving in a bit early for me on this one.
2335)    This one I am *sure* about, and would once like to have owned     one.
    A contact printer for large negatives. (I'm not sure     whether this one will handle 5x7" negatives, but at least 4x5"     ones. Looks like 4x5", based on the scale which is actually     calibrated in half-inches to allow a centered size. It can     also be used for smaller negatives, though contacts for 35mm     negatives are rather unsatisfying. :-) 2-1/4x3-1/2" is     reasonable. the 2-1/4x1-7/8" ones which came from one of my     early cameras were marginal as contact prints.
    You place the negative on the glass, emulsion side up.
    You adjust the vanes to crop it to the part of the image you     want.
    You place the photographic paper (which is insensitive to red     light over the negative.) (Actually, later Pollycontrast papers     were a bit sensitive to the red light, but this predates the     Pollycontrast papers by quite a bit.)
    You close the lid, and count off the seconds (Ideally, you would     have it plugged into a darkroom timer, which would allow you to     switch it full on for the setup, turn it off, and then to run a     timed exposure with the white light to expose the photo paper.)
    Then you open it, take the paper, and put it in the series of     processing chemicals, wash it, and dry it (usually emulsion down     on a ferrotype plate to give a glossy finish).
2336)    No devils around? :-) (But the wood handle would not last too     long in that environment. :-)
    At a guess -- for unclogging sewer drains and the like, or for     breaking up compacting manure.
2337)    Looks like it could be used to grip a surface on something like     a bale of hay, to slide it around.
2338)    Perhaps for sliding a sawn out block of ice on the pond to get     it to an insulated storage shed until the summer when it is     wanted.
2339)    If it were on wheels, I would think that it was for sowing     seeds. They would pour out of the funnel, get a spin from the     cone and vanes in the lower part, and form a fairly wide fan of     seed onto the ground.
    However, in the stationary position, perhaps it is part of a     setup to separate wheat and chaff. The heavier wheat would go     out to a ring container, and the chaff might fall straight down.
    Seeing the underside of the lower part could help to tell.
2340)    Perhaps for composting leaves? The fingers at the top would     keep the leaves from blowing out the top during strong winds.
    Or perhaps something to do with grain -- especially since it     appears to be beside the previous item.
    Now to post, and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I didn't take any photos of it directly, I noticed it in my photo since it was next to the fish trap, so I don't have any other views of it. There's a tag on it that might give the answer but I didn't pay much attention to it since I was focused on the trap.
Rob
"Rob H." wrote in message
I need some help with two of the items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2335 is a contact printer for large format sheet film. The red light is a safelight. Mine is a but different, but the same principle.
Steve R.