What is it? Set 402

Page 1 of 2
This week's set of photos has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2323: log cutting sawhorse? 2324: Upside down paint can lid re-attacher? 2325: Drill bits and plug holder? 2326: lantern and torch holder? 2327: peculator? 2328: Put your seat belt on buzzer from a 1973 Ford Maverick Grabber?
mike in ohio
On 08/18/2011 05:34 AM, Rob H. wrote:

This one is correct

2325 Change holder for pre-decimal British coins. Pennies on left. Sixpence on right. Shilling = 7/8 inch.
"Rob H." wrote in message

This one is correct
Note that old cable spools were often used as saw horses. We had several when I was a kid. They were thrown off ships after the steel cable or rope was used up.
Steve R.
In typed:

2323: log cutting sawhorse? Thing in middle appears to be a tool-holder. I've used one very similar as a kid.
HTH,
Twayne`

On 8/18/2011 7:04 PM, Rob H. wrote:

2323 is a saw buck for sawing logs
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Kevin(Bluey) wrote:

Yup , that's my guess too on 2323 . 2324 looks like a corker for wine bottles . Nice one too !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Wine bottle corker is correct, this one is a floor model, they also make bench corkers which are made for use on benches or tables.

2325 looks like it could be used as a desk drawer organizer: pens and pencils in the grooves, paper clips and thumb tacks in the bowls. Don't know if that was its intended use, though...

Yes, saw buck is the right name for it.
On 8/18/11 9:34 AM, Rob H. wrote:

It's fake. A real one would have a picture of Alexander Hamilton.
2325. Wooden swage block. You can see something similar on this web page if you scroll down some: http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Doming_Black_and_Punches.html They have two separate items but whoever made this one, combined them into one block. I have one in metal that is similar to this one. Wooden ones are used by jewelers, coppersmiths, etc. whereas the metal one I have is used for blacksmithing.

2323)    A saw buck -- for supporting logs while they are sawn.
2324)    Interesting beastie.
    It looks like it is intended to hold grease cartridges, and     dispense it on strokes of the pump. I can't see where the     grease exits it, however. The disc and spring on the rod     advance with each stroke of the handle, pushing the grease out     the top of the cartridge and into -- where?
    Perhaps it is incomplete, and with parts not shown is for     pumping new grease into a bearing assembly, forcing out the old     grease.
2325)    Lacking anything specific, I would consider it to be a desktop     organizer. The bowls would hold paper clips and the like, the     grooves for pencils, pens, rulers and whatever.
2326)    Looks like something to hold a half-round tubing which is pressed     in from the upper left, and when it is withdrawn (hollow side     down) it will be clamped.
    But -- if it is intended to be mounted on a vertical surface     instead, it might be for gripping a horse's reins when "parking"     the horse. :-)
2327)    Well ... it appears to be an upside down bucket, with a domed     bottom. I'm not sure what the purpose of the domed bottom is.
2328)    Looks somewhat like a garage door opener remote, designed to     clip on the car's visors.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set of photos has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2323 cable or rope spool
2325 for sorting coins
Steve R.

Perhaps we can just call it a catch-all, and leave it at that. The two "cups" to the right suggest an insert I've seen in a Craftsman magazine plan for a "Mans Dressing Chest."
To quote the text (which doesn't match the illustration...), "The small upper drawer at the right, (sic) is fitted, like a change-drawer, with six saucer-like divisions for shirt, collar, and sleeve buttons, and other small objects which are easily lost."

2325. Pen and ink bottle holder for a draftsman. Here's a glass one. http://www.1stopretroshop.com/machine-age-desk-accessories/glass-desk-stand-tray.htm Karl

I have to disagree. 2325 has -round- bottoms to the 'holes'. Anything to hold ink bottles would have a _flat_ bottom.
Also, 3" diameter would be an awfully -large- ink container. All the "India ink" bottles I've used have been somewhere around 1-3/4" dia. (don't have one at hand to measure, might have been as big as 2" :))
On Aug 18, 11:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Oops. Didn't look at the larger image and see the large holes were hemispheres. I was thinking of Higgins drawing ink by the way. I swear the glass bottles were bigger than the Plastic ones on Amazon but I was around 5 when I started using them so maybe they just looked big. Karl
Just posted my answers, I'm not 100% sure about number 2326 but that's what the owner claimed so I'm going to stick with that unless I find proof that it's actually something else.
Rob