What is it? Set 401

A new set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2319: This is surely a drywall saw, used for cutting rectangular holes in something, if not drywall. You cut one edge with the end of the saw, then when you get to the corner, dive deeper and use the second set of teeth to start the next side.
2322: A marking gauge, used on circular or curved pieces. Perhaps used by a cooper, for making barrels.
John

I think you're right about the purpose of the saw, but I'm not sure about the drywall part of it. That saw looks like it predates drywall by a couple or few decades. The different angles of the sets of teeth would indicate that there's a lot of use with the back part with the finer teeth. The saw is designed to enter quickly and cut roughly, and then smooth out for the main part of the cutting. Wouldn't work too well on flooring - maybe a paneling saw and possibly a saw used for cutting fiber board.

Nifty tool, that. It's possible that it's meant for laying out lines for pin striping for coach building or something like that.

Marking gauge is correct, but the top part is adjustable as seen in the patent drawing, so it could used on straight or curved pieces.
On 8/11/11 6:09 AM, sawdust wrote:

2317 looks as if it could produce 10 gallons a minute at 1/2 psi. That would lift water about a foot, so it wouldn't be a typical bilge pump. With no horn, it looks too quiet for a foghorn.
Some reed organs had pedal boards and needed an assistant to pump bellows. I wonder if this was for a reed organ that used higher pressure than bellows could deliver.
2317 A fire Extinguisher? 2318 no guesses 2319 dry wall saw, with side cutter to add the box for switch or power? 2320 chocolate bar pump? 2321 Not sure, but it look like the loop piece was added to keep the main piece from getting lost 2322 jig for making picture frames?
On 08/11/2011 05:04 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Reading your post made me go back and check out Rob's picture again. Remind me to put on my glasses before doing this stuff. I thought the saw blade was a flat plane. Sigh. The different sections with rip and crosscut teeth on perpendicular planes are a giveaway - it has to be for cutting wood. The saw would allow someone to drill only one hole to cut out the center to make an opening in a panel. Really good idea. Probably a bitch to sharpen and expensive to make.

Yes, it was made to be used with wood, I've never worked with drywall so I'm not sure why it couldn't also be used with that.
Rob

#2317 -- My guess is that it's a bilge pump.
Bill

2320: If pumped gently, perhaps a fount for a quill pen?

The funky saw is for cutting box joints and dovetails the fine teeth crosscut the coarse rip.
The Big pump looking thing is a foghorn.
And the little pump can is for solvent, an instrument or watchmaker can wet a swab with solvent.
2320 -- solvent pump dispenser
(modern versions <<http://www.all-spec.com/products/35335.html , <<http://www.all-spec.com/products/SD-6-ESD.html )
Northe

Thanks for the links, with five or six people all giving this answer I'm pretty sure this is correct although I haven't found another one just like it.

    Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
2317)    This looks like a form of bilge pump for a small     to medium sailboat -- designed to pump out onto the deck and     flow over the sides of the boat. This is why it does not have     a fitting for a hose.
2318)    Looks like it is intended to measure the angle between two     lines radiating from a single point. The single point is placed     under the magnifier in the center (there should be some kind of     cross-hair in there to allow for more precision), and then the     dial and points are used to take readings on lines. It could be     that the second arm and point are to avoid having to shift it to     get readings beyond 180 degrees -- or to get more precisions     from lines passing through the intersection point. (It seems     that the arms are fixed at precisely 180 degrees separation, but     I'm not sure that the arms are fixed relative to each other.
2319)    A very interesting saw. It looks like a descendant of a     keyhole saw -- but once it gets the initial starting hole large     enough, it starts a second cut at 90 degrees -- thus     (eventually) making a square cutout.
2320)    This looks related to something which I have, which squirts a     solvent against the bottom of a perforated plate in a much wider     funnel or bowl. It is normally used to squirt solvent onto a     cleaning pad, with the rest draining back into the container, to     minimize fire risk -- as the solvent is usually quite flammable,     and it might also be somewhat toxic to breath.
    However -- this one looks as though it is designed to squirt a     cleaning solvent into something like a test tube in need of     cleaning.
2321)    Either a link pin to allow detaching something from something     else -- or perhaps a hand-made key.
2322)    Well ... the centerline of the rectangular stick will pass     through the center of a cylindrical piece against which it is     placed. I don't know whether it has a set of telescope optics     in it for measuring the angle of sight to something else, or a     level to help in finding the center of the cylindrical object.
    The trick is getting the two guides set to the same angle,     especially since there appear to be no angle markings on the arc     shaped guides.
    Now to go see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Yes, there is a cross-hair in center of this protractor, it was mostly used by surveryors.

This one is for use with a Civil War weapon and it's not a link pin or key.

    O.K.
    Hmm ... I think that is too early for it to be a friction ignition pin pulled by a cord to fire a cannon -- but it might be intended for spiking a cannon (driving into the touch hole to deny the use of the cannon prior to capture.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Nope, not too early, this answer is correct, don't know when they first started using this type of fuse.
They've all been correctly identified this week, more information along with some links and several new photos can be seen here:
Rob

I like how the actual handle bolt pattern was changed on xx19 from the advertising drawing of the saw. I guess after enough handles split they figured out grain matters. ;)
"Rob H." wrote in message
A new set of items has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2230 may be for prep alcohol. Press down on the top with a wad of absorbent cotton, and use the cotton to swab an injection site. Alcohol won't shoot as high as water.
Steve R.