What is it? Set 399

But the growth of web-based forums, Facebook, and other such places have resulted in the "eternal" September of 1993 ending, at least for Usenet. Perhaps some Internet historian will eventually fix a date for the end.

It's an in-joke, not a slur on its users (including myself).

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Again O.K. Mostly the power cost of running say 7 10 GB drives instead of a more modern 1 TB SATA drive. (Against the cost of adding a SATA host interface to the linux box. :-)

[ ... ]

But since I also host some web sites, the asymmetrical rates are a problem, as well as the lack of static IPs. (At least I presume that you can't get static IPs. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Look at it encrypted with rot-13 (which should be in your newsreader, as it is a (very) minimal encryption once commonly used to hide spoilers). Apply it twice and you are back to the original text. Certain common words are occasionally posted in rot13 on the assumption that people have learned to recognize them. :-)

If you need to do it manually -- replace each letter with the letter 13 later in the alphabet -- folding it to two copies to deal with things which start past the 13th letter.

And the "word" is misspelled anyway -- it should be "Furrfu"

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN. Nichols wrote: ) On 2011-08-01, Willem wrote: )> Robert Bonomi wrote: )> ) Fruufru!!! )>

)> What does that mean ? ) ) Look at it encrypted with rot-13 (which should be in your ) ... ) And the "word" is misspelled anyway -- it should be "Furrfu"

I knew all that already. What I wanted to find out is why the OP used that specific misspelling of that word, as I find it very unlikely he misspelled it like that if he knew where it actually comes from.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

Steve W.

It doesn't have to run 24/7. Just when I want to update the newsgroups. Then I can load them to my computer to read off line if I want to shut it back down.

I can, but it costs extra. It's cheaper for me to pay $6 a month to an external hosting service.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell