What is it? Set 399

2308: Joseph Joseph spaghetti measure for 1-4 servings.

see:

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Good god!

How big a nincompoop do you have to be to need a fancy gizmo to measure your dry spaghetti.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

And all these years I've been counting the pieces.

More seriously, it is wonderful to live in a society rich enough for people to make, sell and buy this thing.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Oh, I knew I'd seen that thing before. My wife almost ordered one recently. Cheapsake Ed stopped her.

There are diet formulas that base consumption on the cross-section area of spaghetti you use. That was my wife's interest. But we have a food scale, which is the alternate way to do it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Lol, yes it looks like it might be over designed but I guess some people just like to buy gadgets. On my answer for it I have a link to Amazon where in the reviews you'll see that people who have bought it were not happy with it.

Rob H.

I haven't changed anything in my posting process, been doing it the same for the past few years. Does it show up in either of the other two groups or is it just rec.puzzles? I can see my post on my reader and also at Google groups, not sure why it's not getting picked up by your news server.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2309 is a bit short but has the right shape for a farriers shoe puller 'with cam'.

There were some Bridgeport carpenters tools, as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

O.K. So someone grabbed a double-sided file, and modified it to make this.

If the coarse side were also usable, It would suggest that wood was the target material, but with the one (fine) side only usable, I think that it is for metal.

But it is likely for metal attached to wood, so the other suggestion of for ski edges might make sense. I don't think that a file for a chain saw bar would benefit from the wood guide, so I discount that one.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
lektric dan

But you are seeing it in another group? If so, did you recently subscribe to either rec.crafts.metalworking or rec.woodworking? Or rearrange the order of the groups in your news reader? Or simply change the order you read them in? Up graded your news reader?

Many news readers hide cross posted articles in all but one group, exactly how they go about doing this differs. Unexpected behavior like this has a habit of biting you in the be-hind:)

Reply to
William Bagwell
2307 - one of my first thoughts was it was for scribing and/or cutting F notes on something like a cello - a function in mass producing cellos or the like? Down the middle are 2 tracks. The scribing unit woud be placed on each track, in turn, and runs down each track for each side, and the F notes would be evenly spaced/symetrical. ... Or some similar function.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I've been using eternal-september.org since my provider dropped usenet... Your initial post hasn't been coming through for several weeks now, maybe months. It is either being deleted due to some sort of content problem by ETO or your news provider isn't in the loop that they check in with. If this post is using the same provider, then there must be something about your initial post that ETO doesn't like...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Im using eternal-september.org as my supplier and its always in rec.puzzles each week so it is there must be something else, Heres a thought some news readers hide multi-cross posted articles maybe its that?. just anothe thing to check.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Halligan

Hmm ... is the date on his computer wrong? Most news servers are configured to automatically drop articles too old, or too far in the future (say over 24 hours to allow for international date line differences). So -- either could be what is happening to his articles. And, it can be set up differently on different newsgroups within the same server. (Common to set the expire time short on particularly busy newsgroups.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Giganews has this group back to 2003, and you can still reply to old messages.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
lektric dan

Yes -- there are exceptions which have *no* expiration, and as a result have many terabytes of disk backing up all of the information. DejaNews was the first of these, and Google acquired them back in 2001.

But most news servers are somewhat more selective about what they keep. I ran one at home for several years, until my then ISP discontinued newsfeeds, and shortly after shut down it's news server too. I had the expire time on different newsgroups set differently. Some (e.g. rec.crafts.metalworking) I tried to keep 30 days of, many only about two or three days, and I received only a small percentage of the newsgroups then present. (Including only two or three alt groups, IIRC.) At the time I lost the newsfeed, the daily flow was three or four times the bandwidth of my T1 connection, so even if I had the disk space, I did not have the bandwidth. (And I also did not have any computers fast enough to handle a news server with a full feed anyway. :-)

At the time, most news servers were run as a benefit to the employees of many companies -- or by college computing centers. Neither had the money to put into a full archive of a full newsfeed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I was considering a local news server, just for the groups I read to speed up my access, and to prefilter the trash. That way I only need to maintain the filters on one system, instead of whatever computer I'm using at the time. I can also try different news clients to see if I can find anything I like better than Netscape 4.80 without bothering with creating filters for each program. I have a couple old Dell servers sitting in the corner, and one is rack mount.

Can you imagine the bandwidth that Giganews needs, and the storage requirements, since the binaries groups are kept for six months?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I apologize for filling this part of cyberspace with off-topic stuff.

I conclude that there is a problem with the news server: news.eternal-september.org

This is a free news server. I moved to it when my old ISP 'improved' service by dropping newsgroups. I guess that they have messed up their spam filtering, and are dropping RH's initial posts and possibly the first few replies. I see the same (partial) postings on metalworking and woodworking on that server, so it is not specific-group or cross-posting related. My machine and clock are OK, and things were working fine until a few weeks ago.

As it is a freebie, I have no leverage to nag them to fix the problem.

Again, sorry for the off-topic clutter.

Thanks for the advice on the problem, and continued thanks to RH.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

eternal-september is working just fine, I use it and Rob's posts show up every week just fine. Looking at your headers it appears we have almost an identical setup, Win7/64bit with thunderbird pulling from e-s, I suspect the problem is local to you, maybe a stray filer that is catching more that it is supposed to?

Reply to
FrozenNorth