What is it? Set 397

I did some searching on this idea but didn't have any luck, I'd like this theory more if the two number dials were side by side instead of one on top of the other. Hopefully I'll hear back from my email to the tour guide and we'll see if he confirms whether it could be part of an air compressor or not.

Reply to
Rob H.

I find it interesting that the numbers on the side correspond to the numbers on the red and white dials. If it *is* an air pump, you wouldn't have two dials, you'd most likely have a knob on the front. Also - was it tilting? I just noticed the way it is sitting in relation to the bricks in the wall behind it.

Reply to
lektric dan

The cylinder looks to be about 9" tall and 2" in diameter, big enough for approximately 100 Morgan silver dollars. They would weigh nearly six pounds, which a potential gambler could heft by sliding the cylinder up and down. At a time and place where large silver coins were used, this may have been a good way of enticing people to try their luck.

Reply to
J Burns

Yes, it was tilting but I'm not sure if that's from an uneven surface or some other reason, it was in an old run down building so it could have been sitting on small pieces of debris.

Reply to
Rob H.