What is it? Set 396

Page 2 of 2

Good guess! .... Or a tool related to making the fishing net (gill net). A tool to help tie a knot in the net and/or the wedge piece helps guage/measure the size of some aspect of the netting's holes.
Sonny

2288 - looks like a (sheet metal) sinking stump, without the stump. <g> I never saw one made out of metal itself, but it sure looks like a form for sinking.
Sinking stumps usually are just...stumps.
--
Ed Huntress

Guessing 2287 - A tool for indenting mortar seams of brick or stone walls?
2290 - A round square. *One summer, between semesters of school, I worked as a welder's helper (green/naive) on a pipeline job. One day, my (seasoned) welder boss sent me to the tool shed for a round square. I went to fetch one.
Sonny

2287)    Looks like tools to force something into grooves,     perhaps caulking for wooden ships hulls or something     similar.
2288)    Looks like a rest for a decorative ball or globe on     a fencepost.
    A rather large fencepost, given the 8" diameter.
2289)    At a guess -- some sort of drafting tool, based     on the plastic grid scale below it.
    It looks like it is intended to be gripped by three fingers     in a fist.
    Hmmm .... perhaps for cleaning erasure dust and the like out of     grooves in a drafting machine?
2290)    This is a vise for holding a picture frame (or something     similar) in position while the glue dries.
    The yellow spool contains steel tape, which is paid out to allow     the four corners to expand to fit the frame in questions.
    The clamp is tightened, and then the red handle is turned to     tighten the corners onto the frame.
    Ideally, you should start out with the red handle unscrewed to     the maximum.
2291)    Some sort of combination tool. The near end looks like a wood     file, and the far end looks like a tool for transferring marks     through a drawing into wood prior to cutting with another tool.
2292)    A guide for a saw to allow it to cut precise depth grooves.
    Looks like about 1-1/2" deep at the current setting (the     deepest), and can probably go down to as little as 1/4" deep or     less.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

2288: Some sort of anvil for shaping metal?
2290 is a strap clamp.
2292: Depth gauge for stair treads or something similar?